Rifle selection for South Africa plains game hunt

It has never come up. When discussing what to bring/not bring, the .22 was never mentioned though semi-autos and military digital camo were.

Thank's, sometimes I do not understand everything people are saying until someone hit's me on the head with a mallet so I can pay attention.
The reason a PH mentioned it to me is because I was interested in bringing one.

I have a new Samsung digital camera with a ridiculous zoom range, and video capability.

Taking smaller knives and things were on my consideration list. And gift giving I am a fan of. I have a couple pairs of binos I got fairly inexpensively that may not get back home. I like the flashlight idea as well.

When we traveled to a couple other areas that either the PH was not as familiar with or the land owners wanted their own guy along, we would pick up a local tracker. When I got my Bushbuck at last light and we were getting it taken care of, it was obvious that local needed a light so I handed him my little led flashlight. I intended to borrow it to him but we had a communication breakdown and he took it as a gift so I thought what the heck, I brought 3 of them. And he was so appreciative of it that I had to let him have it and I found pleasure in that. And then gave other trackers the other lights at the end of the hunt. We may not think of it, but it might be very difficult for some of those guys to get something like that. And even if they can, they might never buy it because of other priorities with their money... I also gave them the spare batteries I had with. Pretty small stuff but all good PR for hunters. We want those local people thinking highly of having us there. I got the impression that being a tracker is a pretty big deal or status thing to those local guys.

Thank's, sometimes I do not understand everything people are saying until someone hit's me on the head with a mallet so I can pay attention.
The reason a PH mentioned it to me is because I was interested in bringing one.

You may be correct in the .22LR deal. I've not heard of it but then never really pursued taking one over. You'll probably still be restricted on the quantity of ammo that you can take, just like any other caliber, and as much fun as .22's are, it won't be enough. ;D Hope things work out the way that you want.

I have a new Samsung digital camera with a ridiculous zoom range, and video capability.

Taking smaller knives and things were on my consideration list. And gift giving I am a fan of. I have a couple pairs of binos I got fairly inexpensively that may not get back home. I like the flashlight idea as well.

Most of the guys in RSA seem to have availability to most items though they might cost them more than they do us. We did leave some good LED flashlights and rechargeable batteries (along with spare ammo) with our PH's. They seemed to find good use for those, afterall who couldn't use a good flashlight.

PH says his buddy's pellet rifle will do the job just fine. Looks like I'll have extra room for binos and other gear in my case.

As I live in South Africa, plains game hunting would depend on what area of South Africa you would be hunting plains game, I would personally pick one of three of my favorite plains games rifles;

1. .270 (great for plains but not the flattest shooter and can make a mess in the bush)
2. 6.5 x 55 ( fantastic plains game rifle, flat shooting and can be loaded for a great bush rifle), and lastly,
3. 300 Winmag (my favorite)

Hope this helps.

Leave all the geegaws at home (muzzle brake, spotting scope). Borrow the scope offered or buy a good Burris Fullfield II BDC in 2-7 or 3-9 from ebay for $140-$170. You're not going on a long-range sniping mission. Your PH will get you close to your game, that's what they do. Take the '06. Buy the good ammo suggested with 165-180 grain premium bullets. Practice shooting and learn your rifle. If you have shooting sticks, use them. Chances are good you will be shooting off sticks in Africa and they work great. Your PH and his trackers will take care of you.
When I return to Africa for my next safari, I will seriously consider leaving my binocular at home. The folks there see so well and know where to look to the point I very seldom had time to use my binoc.
Pack light. Take a couple days change of clothes at most. At the end of the hunting day, I came back to freshly washed and ironed clothes I had worn the day before.
Use the rest of the saved room in your luggage to take children's clothes as gifts for the PH and the trackers. Chances are they have kids and will appreciate the gift. Also, ball point pens and small razor knives (pack these in non-carryon luggage) were appreciated by the trackers. It seems they were all amateur artists and taxidermists. And the pens were sort of a status symbol for the trackers.
Enjoy your trip. It will be a great adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg