Rifle case set up

I do not think you will be disappointed. I was very confident in my trip to Joburg, Port Elizabeth and back. However false the confidence was, it also felt good to lock the built in TSA locks when turning it over to handlers in Africa. Solid case, solid wheels, solid handles.
Got both of mine at B&H.
I just signed up on pelican, military gets 15% off through them and they have free shipping on orders over $165. I just noticed that, I wish I had seen that before I ordered my ammo and rifle case a few weeks ago:cautious:

Ugh. I did not even think to ask about that. Just be sure to check with (call) B&H for reduced price samples or damaged packaging. One of mine was a significant discount.

Ugh. I did not even think to ask about that. Just be sure to check with (call) B&H for reduced price samples or damaged packaging. One of mine was a significant discount.
Oh. Yeah I'll definitely check on that.

@Backyardsniper - Very nice job on the 1700 case and foam. You will be much happier traveling lighter with this case.

BTW - Our checked luggage are a Pelican 1560 & 1510 and they work great. In my experience, the Pelican Air cases suffer more breakage at the corners and wheels. Yeah, they are lighter, but at a cost. There is no free lunch.

@Backyardsniper - Very nice job on the 1700 case and foam. You will be much happier traveling lighter with this case.

BTW - Our checked luggage are a Pelican 1560 & 1510 and they work great. In my experience, the Pelican Air cases suffer more breakage at the corners and wheels. Yeah, they are lighter, but at a cost. There is no free lunch.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

Have the pelican air 1615 for a check in; just for myself. 3 flights, one to Zim; all well so far.

Bought the orange; theres no mistaking it for someone else’s.o_O

Just a tip if it helps someone, but pack extra locks somewhere. I've had a problem with security not replacing all locks (and it's easy to miss, particularly on the ammo case that gets put back in another bag). It's a little awkward when arriving at the next location and pull it out unlocked. Nice to have extras.

The rifle case is prepared. I left space for a future extra barrel, bolt and trigger mechanism. I really think this double rifle/blaser combo is the way to go as far as getting the most firepower in the smallest and easiest to transport package. I cut a thin piece piece of foam to sit on top of the blaser barrel to prevent any up and down movement. View attachment 514413

You have enough space for a scope there too

When I traveled, I carried a Pelican Rifle case (with 4 locks). a medium duffel with ammo box and clothes, and a small, canvas and leather carry-on with Dopp kit, meds, optics, and a pair of hunting pants, shirt, and sweater. I wore my hunting boots on the flight. This was minimum hassle. When I got off the charter at camp my PH asked, "Is that ALL your luggage?" Yup.

Do you guys run all 4 locks on your cases? I have a set of 4 that all use the same key and I wondered if 2 on the rifle case and two on the ammo case was sufficient or should I just buy another set for the ammo case and run the full set on both cases?
keep in mind the ammo case has to have TSA locks on it

This is interesting concept. Opinions? Thoughts?

Do you guys run all 4 locks on your cases? I have a set of 4 that all use the same key and I wondered if 2 on the rifle case and two on the ammo case was sufficient or should I just buy another set for the ammo case and run the full set on both cases?

TSA says if there is a hole, it has to be filled.

I think they meant that broadly, not just about the locks.

keep in mind the ammo case has to have TSA locks on it
Not necessarily. I use Masterlock or Briggs 4 digit combos on all my cases (per airline regs) and have never had a problem. They told me that after I go through TSA check no one has any reason to go through my cases without my permission. I have been asked to open my ammo case and, of course, my gun case at SAPS. You do have to fill all holes with locks, too.

I copied @Philip Glass and cut two of the four lock holes off my case. So now I only use two locks and carry plenty of extras.
What’s the purpose of cutting off the lock holes? Are the airline folks taking the position that you have to use four locks if there are four holes?

What’s the purpose of cutting off the lock holes? Are the airline folks taking the position that you have to use four locks if there are four holes?

They sure do! If there's a hole better have a lock in it. Been there already on both Delta and Qatar when a lock came up missing. That's why I pack spares.

Yes

Not necessarily. I use Masterlock or Briggs 4 digit combos on all my cases (per airline regs) and have never had a problem. They told me that after I go through TSA check no one has any reason to go through my cases without my permission. I have been asked to open my ammo case and, of course, my gun case at SAPS. You do have to fill all holes with locks, too.
You will have a problem with this if your locked ammo box is inside your suitcase and doesn’t go with your gun and you to the TSA check station. Except for leaving South Africa, it is perfectly legal to pack your TSA-locked ammo case inside your suitcase. I was told to use TSA locks on ammo case and never had a problem. However, I almost missed a flight when I put a non-TSA Masterlock padlock on my ammo case inside my suitcase. TSA tracked me down at my gate and made me open the ammo case for them. I had to run back to my gate.

You will have a problem with this if your locked ammo box is inside your suitcase and doesn’t go with your gun and you to the TSA check station. Except for leaving South Africa, it is perfectly legal to pack your TSA-locked ammo case inside your suitcase. I was told to use TSA locks on ammo case and never had a problem. However, I almost missed a flight when I put a non-TSA Masterlock padlock on my ammo case inside my suitcase. TSA tracked me down at my gate and made me open the ammo case for them. I had to run back to my gate.
Right. I put my ammo case in my checked bag from US to Joburg. Not had a problem stateside. When I get my bags in Joburg, I take my ammo case out and it goes saparately because they have checked it at SAPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg