Rifle barrels that will withstand a barrel burner caliber - 6.5X68S

can't edit the post re b.c. and s.d.
most things in shooting are statistical, rather than empirical.
you need to take a lot of samples and compare them
with s.d., say you are measuring velocities, s.d. is not meaningful for less than 10 shots, and more is better..
bruce.
Thank you Bruce, this explanation is excellent , will study it ...if I want to do some long range shooting I need to come to terms with the terminology as well.(y)(y)(y)

Gert,

Nothing is wrong with that bullet. I have several friends that have take oryx with them in a 6.5CM, they shoot well.

I'm a big Berger fan.

https://bergerbullets.com/product-c...&ogive=classic-hunter,elite-hunter,secant-vld

Something for you to look over.
Inline, I read only good things about Berger, will enquire about their prices for the 140 gn hunting bullet..I believe it will be working for my 8x68S as well since I can now seat the bullet far out and have a OAL of 91mm....(y)(y) I spend today making a jig to bend /form my 92 mm Mauser magazine box with..since I convert the standard length magazine box of the Mauser MOD 98 action I now need to build a new enlarged magazine box from the ground up...while doing some forging today I used the forge to forge the piece of metal that had a curve to straight lines...will upload photos...(y)

Members, please afford me the opportunity to thank Butch Lambert in ordering me a great quality barrel, Shilen 6.5x68S caliber barrel for a future rifle build...as soon as the 8x68S is completed I will commence with the small brother , the 6.5 x 68S caliber hunting rifle..two great German designed calibers to hunt Africa...(y)(y):A Banana::A Big Hello:

That is a very good pairing for PG Gert.

That is a very good pairing for PG Gert.
Thank you kindly Von Gruff , yes , I think the main idea why I am building these two rifles is maybe I have decided long time ago already that after the 375 H&H Magnum build I would build a 8x68s ...while sorted out different batches of brass the gunsmith shop received from another gun shop that was liquidated, I happen to find a 6,5x68S live round and a 8x68S live round in the box with brass...I immediately liked the two well designed rounds....not long after that Johan Greyling build three 8x68S rifles...maybe after shooting those rifles I decided that I want to build one myself..the rest is history..
These two rifles is going to be great shooting/hunting rifles for sure...
Garry, I am still awaits a date to join Willie Barnard to cut the dead trees..will sort out your wood /giraffe bone when this happens.. (y)(y)(y)

Here you go Gert, some extreme barrel burning. These are all privately owned machine guns. Night shoot starts at 17:48, the minigun is on the far right.

Beautiful, just beautiful..man it is a lot of great , great fun shooting all these barrel burners:A Banana::A Banana::A Banana::A Big Hello::A Big Hello::A Big Hello::A Big Hello:

Good, members, I need to thank you again for the great discussion on this thread..I really learned a lot new facts in regards to barrels, rifling twists , barrel burner terminology, and factors mini/maximizing barrel burning in rifle barrels ...(y)(y)(y)
This is what will transpire from this great thread in regards to build a 6.5 caliber hunting rifle for myself...to compliment my 8x68S rifle...
Since the heavy sportster profiled barrel do not have a chamber cut yet, only the profile, the rifling twist in a 1:8 , 28" Shilen barrel ( courtesy from Butch Lambert/my great thanks butch) that I now will fit to a great Swedish Mauser Carl Gustafson action my good friend and mentor Johan Greyling gave me yesterday..so I now will build a Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55 caliber ...now I only need to source dies and a reamer(y):A Banana::A Big Hello:

A barrel burner is a lot in how you shoot your rifle. I have a bunchrest rifle in 6.5-284 which l shoot 20 round groups as fast as you can before range conditions change, 4 rounds, so 80 rounds a match. Barrel life 1,200 rounds
I have the same cartridge in a hunting rifle with a #3 barrel which l have know idea how many rounds has been shot with it. Still doing fine at 1000 yards, but it never gets hot.
So under some conditions the 6.5-284 is a Barrel burner, in others not at all.

I had a Sako TRG 42 in 338. With factory ammo it would shoot in the teens. Not all hammer forged barrels shoot "MOA". When it comes to accuracy it is usually the shooter that can not match the rifles potential.

IMHO

Here is a diagram of the 6.5 x 55 Swede reamer, please comment on the design spec of this reamer in regards to performance with a 140 gn bullet with a high BC ...

Attachments

• page 394 6.5 x 55 swedish mauser cip 57504.pdf
    308 KB · Views: 204
You have plenty of freebore so seating any type of bullet should not be an issue, most likely you will never be touching the lands with 140 grain bullets

You have plenty of freebore so seating any type of bullet should not be an issue, most likely you will never be touching the lands with 140 grain bullets
Great, it seems I will have more options in regards to bullet choices...
Reading up about aspects that increase/decrease heating up a barrel that leads to quicker barrel wear I chose a heavy sportster barrel profile that is suppose to take longer to heat up and quicker to loose heat...any comments /opinions in this regards??? More steel around the chamber area to keep the barrel from heating up faster?

It heats up from the inside out....if the barrel is hot to the touch on the outside...imagine hot it is where the burn of combustion occurs.. light barrels heat faster to the touch, but heavy barrels feel....feel...slower to heat, both I assume would be as hot in the chamber and throat area as the lighter barrels..just speculation on my part tho. If it is too hot to the touch to hold....then it is tooooo hot in the throat and rifling....seeing a barrel throat that is fire cracked, by way of a borescope will make you a believer in how much damage rapid fire can do in a short time to a quality barrel. Gert, best of luck with you project and your choice of calibers sounds great. Enjoy!

Areaonereal, thank you , much appreciated the input/opinions..(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois