Rifle barrels that will withstand a barrel burner caliber - 6.5X68S

One took that is overlooked by many is shooting a. 22LR at 100 yards. If you can do that well, you know you are on the right track.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. You can have top of the line equipment and it will do you no good if you don't know how to shoot. I have let people shoot my rifle and it prints 2"+ @100 yards, when I have shot groups of 2.5" at 880 yards (1/2mile).

I hope I am able to convey my thoughts a little better.
The fact is you are using a rifle(s) that would get you arrested in any African country . You are punching paper at long distance and not animals. Thank God!! Not any of this applies to the type of hunting we do on AH.

The fact is you are using a rifle(s) that would get you arrested in any African country . You are punching paper at long distance and not animals. Thank God!! Not any of this applies to the type of hunting we do on AH.

Okay I guess I'm ignorant...what rifle am I using that will get me arrested in Africa?

And actually yes this does apply to hunting that we do on AH. Why would anyone not want to be the best marksman they can possibly be?

Now if I we play that game... might I suggest the 6BRA. A lot less hassle than the Dasher (it still has to be fire formed but it is way easier. The 6BRA holds some nice records.
Yes, playing /fun shooting seems the game to play..low recoil, great accuracy , even from an average shooter , easy case forming seems to be the properties of the 6mm caliber range rifles.(y)

I bought 6.5x68S re-loading dies yesterday from a forum member...I have a lot of 6.5x68 S brass already, I will purchase a reamer as well ...going a barrel burner route as well as fun shooting soft recoil shooting caliber build..the best of two worlds seems just fine to me...(y)

Yes, playing /fun shooting seems the game to play..low recoil, great accuracy , even from an average shooter , easy case forming seems to be the properties of the 6mm caliber range rifles.(y)

I bought 6.5x68S re-loading dies yesterday from a forum member...I have a lot of 6.5x68 S brass already, I will purchase a reamer as well ...going a barrel burner route as well as fun shooting soft recoil shooting caliber build..the best of two worlds seems just fine to me...(y)

(y)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Will do so Inline, thank you again for the time and effort you and fellow members are making to afford me more insight in some difficult rifle related issues ....it is much , much appreciated..(y)(y)(y)(y)

300 yards are my personal limit when hunting. I have 2-257 Roberts and just got rid of the 25 06. The 06 was the worst rifle that I've owned for accuracy. I made changes and then shot it. It was a 2.5" 100 yard rifle. It was a cheap Remington BDL.
#1 Put another stock on it (factory)
#2 Installed a Shilen trigger at 2lbs
#3 McMillan stock-piller bedded
#4 Chambered a Lilja barrel
Since I was testing accuracy only, I put one of my BR 36X Leupold scope on it.
I tested 4 brands of powder and several brands of bullets.
It went from a 2.5MOA to a 1.5MOA. Three different people shot it to make sure we didn't have a shooter problem.
The receiver was a late model that was machined with CNC equip. I did put the receiver holding tool in the lathe. About as straight a receiver that I have seen on a factory rifle.
Never had one that failed me as this one did.
It went down the road.

300 yards are my personal limit when hunting. I have 2-257 Roberts and just got rid of the 25 06. The 06 was the worst rifle that I've owned for accuracy. I made changes and then shot it. It was a 2.5" 100 yard rifle. It was a cheap Remington BDL.
#1 Put another stock on it (factory)
#2 Installed a Shilen trigger at 2lbs
#3 McMillan stock-piller bedded
#4 Chambered a Lilja barrel
Since I was testing accuracy only, I put one of my BR 36X Leupold scope on it.
I tested 4 brands of powder and several brands of bullets.
It went from a 2.5MOA to a 1.5MOA. Three different people shot it to make sure we didn't have a shooter problem.
The receiver was a late model that was machined with CNC equip. I did put the receiver holding tool in the lathe. About as straight a receiver that I have seen on a factory rifle.
Never had one that failed me as this one did.
It went down the road.
Bruce , it sounds that rifle would have been a nice "wall hanger" ..rifles we de-activate here in SA ..we use it for wall-hangers , it makes for a great feature on the wall...(y)(y)
I agree, with my eyes aging I really think 300 meters is pushing it myself..at least on a big bodied animal it is a a better possibility not to wound ...small frame animals like spring bok I think I will keep to 150 meters..(y)(y)

Shooting a fun shoot long range rifle like a 6-284 caliber there would nothing I will try not to hit at 1000 meters if I can manage such shots...this will be fun shooting with a few friends who do long range shooting..great sport..shooting at ghongs will be great practice as well...

I'm on to another build. To fill out my caliber desires I will build a 223. I've got a couple Lotts and a 416 Rigby down to my 220 Russian. After the 223 I will need to build something in the 338 family.
I will take a few photos of the build.

I'm on to another build. To fill out my caliber desires I will build a 223. I've got a couple Lotts and a 416 Rigby down to my 220 Russian. After the 223 I will need to build something in the 338 family.
I will take a few photos of the build.
Sounds great Bruce..I am contemplating building a 6-284 caliber , since it is not a barrel burner , it has low recoil, it can shoot ghongs as well as targets far out. A friend of mine already has a reamer for this caliber ..I basically needs a barrel , 30" with a 1; 8 twist...I would like to hear your /members opinion on this fun shoot caliber ???

Well Gert, it is a barrel burner. Mine started as a 22-284 and it wasn't a good idea. It became a 6-284 and now is a 6.5X284. I like the 6.5 chamberings. I have a 6.5X47L, a 6.5 Creedmore, a 6.5X284.and a 6.5X55.

+1 on the 6-.284 being a barrel burner. I have a 6.5-.284 and in strictly hunting applications it will last a long time but for high volume or competition shooting, you're probably looking at 800 or so rounds before time for a new barrel.

Butch, in what way is it a barrel burner? Is the ratio of brass to bullet too large?? Like a 6.5x68S I understand the brass is huge in ratio to the 6.5 bullet diameter ..??

+1 on the 6-.284 being a barrel burner. I have a 6.5-.284 and in strictly hunting applications it will last a long time but for high volume or competition shooting, you're probably looking at 800 or so rounds before time for a new barrel.
What caliber would be fast, flat shooting, accurate , easy to get brass and not be a barrel burner??Uses is for ghong shoots, hunting longer distances, target shoot at 400 -600 meters???

Would it then be better to look at a 7mm caliber for long range shooting/hunting/fun shooting ..like the 7mm /284 Shehane caliber???

It seems Shilen is a great quality barrel in any caliber????(y)(y)

And their factory is only a 1 hour drive from my house...

Their delivery times are usually about 4-6 weeks...

And I’ll be traveling to South Africa in about 10 weeks...

Just sayin....

And their factory is only a 1 hour drive from my house...

Their delivery times are usually about 4-6 weeks...

And I’ll be traveling to South Africa in about 10 weeks...

Just sayin....
mdwest, I am tempted to ask for another barrel , but with all the stuff you already are bringing for me I am sure you are already over the weight restrict for luggage by a person who board an airplane to SA..:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: Dave , thank you again for bringing items for me ..:A Banana::A Banana:

gert,
12 barrels of 6.5/284 have given between 900 and 1200 shots of barrel life on the rifle range.
a 6mm on that case would be worse.
hunting would not be as hard on a barrel, as it would not get as hot.
the straight 284 seems to give about 2400 shots on the rifle range, a significant improvement.
the difference between the range and hunting is that you have time to adjust your elevation setting on the range.
therefore on the range flat trajectory is not as important.
when hunting, flatter trajectory offers a longer point blank range, and a cartridge should be selected on this basis as to the conditions you shoot in, and the reality of your ability as you sensibly suggest.
on the range, you only have to poke a hole in a piece of paper or ring steel so power and trajectory are less important.
the 284 win or the 280 rem would work well on the range with reasonable barrel life, while still being useful in the field.
bruce.

gert,
12 barrels of 6.5/284 have given between 900 and 1200 shots of barrel life on the rifle range.
a 6mm on that case would be worse.
hunting would not be as hard on a barrel, as it would not get as hot.
the straight 284 seems to give about 2400 shots on the rifle range, a significant improvement.
the difference between the range and hunting is that you have time to adjust your elevation setting on the range.
therefore on the range flat trajectory is not as important.
when hunting, flatter trajectory offers a longer point blank range, and a cartridge should be selected on this basis as to the conditions you shoot in, and the reality of your ability as you sensibly suggest.
on the range, you only have to poke a hole in a piece of paper or ring steel so power and trajectory are less important.
the 284 win or the 280 rem would work well on the range with reasonable barrel life, while still being useful in the field.
bruce.
Bruce, thank you for the info, yes , this caliber will be use for hunting and ghong shoot..usually the shooting on a range at our club have a lot of time to cool down a barrel..I believe I will get a fair barrel life from my rifle..(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you