Rifle appraisal

Looking at the pictures it looks like the rifle engraving was recut and case colored. I also think the "Rigby" engraving does not look correct. If you find out from Rigby the date of manufacture. Rigby should have that info. With that info you should be able to compare.

I picked up one nice Rigby double .470Nitro which had been ordered and delivery taken by Phillip Perceval, it went to auction in the U.S.. There was one bid, which was exactly what the reserve was, which I believe was $74,000.00 bidding was closed in about 3 seconds? I did not complain I bought it cheap!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.14.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.14.23 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.14.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.14.24 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.14.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.14.26 AM.png
    618.9 KB · Views: 90
Who did the rebore and when will affect the value. Most important, do the proof marks and anything else on the barrel flats show the rebore and rechamber? I have appraised a couple of hundred double rifles and if the bore and chamber work was done by Joe Gunsmith in BF Egypt, the value is cut in half. If it was done by the maker, then proofed correctly thange no change to maybe -10-15%. But, if a well known hunter is documented to request the work and everythign else is documented, then no change to maybe + 10-15%. For example if John Hunter's (to pick a name) shot out his 470 and sent it back to the factory to be bored out to 475 no2 then that's a plus. Also, refinishing a double shotgun or rifle from the UK does not affect the value if done to original specifications (unlike a Winchester or Colt refinish).

That is a nice, usable rifle. It has clearly been refinished, but not 'restored'. I have seen high grade double rifles by Purdey and Holland (a 450-400 and a .470 NE) that were carefully restored to new condition. The Holland and Holland people at an SCI event in Reno thought that the Holland .470 was "...an excellent example of their work." It was, but carefully restored by an American craftsman.

I do not track double rifle values at auction, but I do see a lot of shotguns sold and condition, originality and provenance matter at the time of sale... sometimes it matters a lot. As was pointed out, a factory refinish of a quality Brit gun or rifle seldom carries a penalty at sale time.

I hope that you take your rifle to Africa and enjoy it.

I disagree with some of the comments.

1.) It has certainly been restored.
2.) It has been rebored (we all agree)
3.) It has had new color case applied (very well I would say...color is good)
4.) I think it was likely a lower grade gun that was "upgraded" in its engraving pattern. I'm 51/49 on that point. The pattern looks off, like a copy from pictures of another gun.
5.) If I'm wrong on point 4, the engraving was definitely picked up and retraced, but again the layout looks off like it was not original but was changed from a "grade 1 to a grade 3" during its restoration.

As to what its worth?

Unrestored. Unchanged from original caliber. Original condition but used.

$25,000 as an extractor gun.

Minus restoration -$5000

Minus rebore - $5000

So it's worth $15,000.

Now add back the provenance factor. $10,000-$30,000?

And that's why no one knows what its worth. Even an appraiser. A well-advertised auction will decide. One day it won't break $20k, the next day a bidding war takes it to $45k.

That is a nice, usable rifle. It has clearly been refinished, but not 'restored'. I have seen high grade double rifles by Purdey and Holland (a 450-400 and a .470 NE) that were carefully restored to new condition. The Holland and Holland people at an SCI event in Reno thought that the Holland .470 was "...an excellent example of their work." It was, but carefully restored by an American craftsman.

I do not track double rifle values at auction, but I do see a lot of shotguns sold and condition, originality and provenance matter at the time of sale... sometimes it matters a lot. As was pointed out, a factory refinish of a quality Brit gun or rifle seldom carries a penalty at sale time.

I hope that you take your rifle to Africa and enjoy it.
Leaving Friday, shot it on Saturday for the first time. First bullet right through the center, second about 1 inch away at 100. Once the barrel got hot after 6 rounds group opened up to about 3 inches. 2 of us shoot and had the exact same results. Pretty excited about it. See you in vegas this year!

I disagree with some of the comments.

1.) It has certainly been restored.
2.) It has been rebored (we all agree)
3.) It has had new color case applied (very well I would say...color is good)
4.) I think it was likely a lower grade gun that was "upgraded" in its engraving pattern. I'm 51/49 on that point. The pattern looks off, like a copy from pictures of another gun.
5.) If I'm wrong on point 4, the engraving was definitely picked up and retraced, but again the layout looks off like it was not original but was changed from a "grade 1 to a grade 3" during its restoration.

As to what its worth?

Unrestored. Unchanged from original caliber. Original condition but used.

$25,000 as an extractor gun.

Minus restoration -$5000

Minus rebore - $5000

So it's worth $15,000.

Now add back the provenance factor. $10,000-$30,000?

And that's why no one knows what its worth. Even an appraiser. A well-advertised auction will decide. One day it won't break $20k, the next day a bidding war takes it to $45k.
Thanks for the reply. Says class C which the engraving seems right, but I am no expert. I paid less than that for it, so happy with any answer near that. I doubt Mr Bulpett could have imagined 117 years later it would head back to Africa with some guy from a City that didn't even exist at the time.

Good afternoon ANTIGNOS. Did you get a chance to shoot your lovely Rigby double this weekend?
I did, first hole at 100 went right through the dead center, 2nd shot was 1 inch high left, friend shot, had the exact same result down to 1/4 of an inch. Once the barrel heated up the first shot was still good, but second, went about 3 inches high left for both of us. Extremely consistent with 2 shooters. The recoil was super pleasant, so much fun to shoot.

ANTIGNOS: It will not shoot sub MOA with all shots touching? And this "lack of accuracy" was confirmed by 2 shooters?? With all of the unauthorized modifications and the obvious inability to shoot sub MOA, you have to agree and support my earlier post: It is settled. The rifle has little to no value. Antignos, please let me know where I can pick up this rifle so you do not have to suffer with it any longer. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously: Your story just gets better. The rifle is beautiful and shoots great; it has an interesting history that we can only imagine; and best of all, you are becoming a part of that history by returning to Africa and hunting with it. I am truly happy for you and your rifle. Safe travels and great hunting!

Took the gun to Africa last year, shot well. Took several Giraffes, Zebra and some smaller stuff with it. Gun will never leave this family I hope. Pretty much know everything there is to know about Bulpett now, his time with Baron Von Blixen and his wife Karen, Mcmillen Safari, time at JuJu Ranch, lion charge which I like to think this gun was used on, but can't confirm that. Found one of his books signed, missed out on one he signed for Cunningham which would have been cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross