Rifle appraisal

Paul G

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, RSA
Hi-

I own a Rigby rifle in a .350 that was re-bored into a .375 Flanged sometime in the 1990s Rigby Believes. They told me the rifle was sold in 1903 to Charles Bulpett who a lot of know was a fairly famous British hunter in Kenya, wrote a few books, etc. My question is if I decided I wanted to sell it someday who do I go to in order to get it appraised? How do you put a value on a gun like this with a bit of history? Does the re-chambering make a huge difference in value?

Tough question but a VERY interesting rifle. Bullpett owned the 350, 2 .275s, a 450 and a few 12 bores in Kenya.

I’d hate to say I think the rebore would affect value, especially being so late, but perhaps the provenance might offset it?

would love to see pics if you’ve got them.

Hi-

I own a Rigby rifle in a .350 that was re-bored into a .375 Flanged sometime in the 1990s Rigby Believes. They told me the rifle was sold in 1903 to Charles Bulpett who a lot of know was a fairly famous British hunter in Kenya, wrote a few books, etc. My question is if I decided I wanted to sell it someday who do I go to in order to get it appraised? How do you put a value on a gun like this with a bit of history? Does the re-chambering make a huge difference in value?

I think I'd first collect whatever documentation you could from Rigby or anyone else. And then I'd give these guys a call to start with:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.01.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.01.33 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.01.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 9.01.35 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
Many good Rigby 350’s were ruined by converting then. Unfortunately this gun is now just a custom built on Mauser 98 action.

Tough question but a VERY interesting rifle. Bullpett owned the 350, 2 .275s, a 450 and a few 12 bores in Kenya.

I’d hate to say I think the rebore would affect value, especially being so late, but perhaps the provenance might offset it?

would love to see pics if you’ve got them.
I will upload some today for you. Thanks for the Info. He appears to be a man who got the absolute most out of life to say the least

That gun should fetch a pretty penny. Most of the reputable gun auction houses will also estimate value- and then you just have to hope bids will exceed the estimates.

But looking at second photo of the j rigby engraving on the side of the action ....looks like a later addition....but could be wrong...just doesn't look correct ...the way the letters are portrayed/engraved look strange to me...but as I said could be wrong.... @Red Leg could do with bit of input

But looking at second photo of the j rigby engraving on the side of the action ....looks like a later addition....but could be wrong...just doesn't look correct ...the way the letters are portrayed/engraved look strange to me...but as I said could be wrong.... @Red Leg could do with bit of input
The rifle I do not believe was colored until a later date, the lettering is spot on and right for sure compared to other photos of the same model and time frame I have seen. Rigby didn't mention it when I emailed them either. They confirmed everything else about it as accurate, but didn't know when it was rechambered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you