Rhino conservation question

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
700
Reaction score
1,100
Location
Michigan
Media
3
Hunting reports
Africa
2
With all the hullabaloo over the taking of a black rhino in Namibia by a sport hunter, I was reminded of seeing a TV program (documentary? I can't remember) on conserving rhinos, and one group (I believe they were hunters/sportsmen) were trying to bring captured rhinos here to the States (it was somewhere in Texas, IIRC) and raise them on ranches, with the idea of repatriating them back to Africa once their breeding programs took off. This was decades ago, so the details are quite hazy.......but I'm wondering if this idea ever became a reality, and if not, why not? Seems to me that (at least on the surface), it would be a good idea.....animals would be protected from poaching, well managed, good vet care, etc. Seems like if it would work for species like black buck antelope, it should work for rhino. Were there unforseen problems? I do remember them doing an interview, and there was a rhino in the pen behind the interviewers (I would assume for "effect"), but that was the last I heard of it.
I have no intention or desire to hunt a rhino, but I would like to be armed with facts, as I'm sure I'm gonna catch hell from the antihunters at work. I was baited last night into a 'discussion" at a dinner meeting....didn't fall for it, though. (it was about plains game hunting in Africa; I was just too tired, and a bit wary, to launch into a diatribe).
Thanks for any light you can shed on this...........it's much appreciated.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,288
Messages
1,570,681
Members
168,949
Latest member
LacyMcBeat
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top