REPORT: Trophaendienste Taxidermy Namibia - Beware

I would just like to add (I am part of this debacle as well) that I know not everything goes to plan and sometimes, well sometimes shit just happens but it's how you deal with it to solve the issue which can bring people back or make them steer clear away. In this case solving the problems has been difficult, the replacements are somewhat questionable and the final straw for me was my zebra skin, I won't be recommending Trophaendienste Taxidermy.

Cheers,
Mark.

@Velo Dog and @DoubleLunger where are you guys having taxidermy done from your recent Namibia safari???

Chuck,

I am sad to report that our goods are with Trophaendienste.
Had a member of my little group read any such reports on them prior to going there, I suppose it's needless to say that, we would've taken our business elsewhere.
It is too late now for us to change horses in the middle of the river.
Trophaendienste is part of our story and we're stuck with it.

As detail oriented (long winded) as I am, plus I'm now able to post photographs, you can be sure I will do them a real treat in this forum.
Let us hope they do well so that I can post happy words and happy photos of what I find in my shipping crate.

Good, bad or, average, I will post it up very quickly after everything arrives, in minute verbal detail and in clear photos as well.

Today is not like yesterday.

Yesterday, word of mouth limited a damage report to a few dozen friends or perhaps in rare instances, perhaps a few hundred.

Today, "word of Internet" sprays a damage report like this out to literally thousands of people, around the entire world.

Regards,
Paul.

blacks,

Thank you for the detailed warning on these people.
I'm sorry they did you and Mark R like this.

Velo Dog.

Last edited:
that's just shit luck blacks....I remember reading of the build up to your first African adventure...
I feel for you , mate

I'd like to thank everyone for their words of support and suggestions. The level of common decency consistently displayed on this forum is second to none and a credit to you all.

I almost didn't post this report as I didn't want to be painted as 'that whinging customer', but I figured if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd want to know. And you guys make me glad I did.

@Wheels , thanks for your report. Please don't feel bad. It's a shame you had problems too, these trophies are irreplaceable.

@Velo Dog and others who currently have trophies at Trophaendienste, I truly wish you all the best for a great result. Their showroom proves that they are capable of doing quality work, it's just that with so many different employees and lack of quality control, the consistency is just not there. I hope you guys are luckier than we were, one would hope that after this debacle they are on top of their game at the moment at least.

As I mentioned, I fared far better than some of my fellow Aussies, for whom the nightmare drags on...

Regards
Tim

Whinging? Damn man, you paid money for a product and service and you get that product! It was negligence, plain and simple.

This is the only way isolated hunters can avoid a business that acts this way.

Thanks for sharing this blacks. I also used this company for my taxidermy work on my first Namibian safari back in 2011. The quality was a bit mixed but overall very good. In ensuing years I pointed friends to the same company and they all had good experiences. The company were good to deal with and very prompt with their work and the email communication was always prompt.
After reading you report I won't be recommending them any more. I think you have done a lot of hunters a big favour by reporting your experiences.

I doubt that Kowas Safaris would profit off any taxidermy they brought to Trophaendienste but I'm curious if they will continue to steer their customers in that that direction.

Trophaendieste did an acceptable job on my European Mounts and tanned hides. If I ever went with them again, I'd specify that they not use a cardboard box. Although I had no damage to my mounts, my friend's Blue Wildebeest Euro skull was busted to pieces.

Too much is taken to chance with cardboard at such great distances to travel.

Have two Hartman zebras for a rug, two nice hartebeest skull euro and a Hartebeast hide with them from July 2017, after delivery and discussion with the lady rep I was not impressed,,,,,,an assembly line taxidermist IMO. Will see how everything turns out.....yes...outfitters receive consideration from them when clients use their services as is customary with most in South Africa and Namibia and the rest of the hunting world when dealing with clients and taxidermy...of note, I said most, not all. Interesting that Trophandiste has a Euro price and USD amount, the euro price is less when converted to USD...I received the most LAME explanation why that was the case. Cardboard cases....is this UPS...the surcharge on packing is well above the cardboard packing expense. My shipments from Limpopo and the East Cape were in bombproof plywood containers with Zero concerns of damage for less overall packing surcharge.

I'd like to thank everyone for their words of support and suggestions. The level of common decency consistently displayed on this forum is second to none and a credit to you all.

I almost didn't post this report as I didn't want to be painted as 'that whinging customer', but I figured if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd want to know. And you guys make me glad I did.

We are glad you posted, and you bring up a great point here. The "newcomer bad experience roasting."

What I've seen is that if you
  1. Have all of your facts together
  2. Stick with those facts
  3. Are either clean yourself, or admit upfront where you aren't
Then people usually support the story and it helps us all. It's when the story doesn't add up or it turns out not the entire story was told that the pitchforks come out, as they should.

Thanks for having all of the supporting evidence.

I do think it would be great to hear from @Kowas Hunting Safaris on this thread as well, since I'm assuming that they gave the recommendation? My apologies if they did not. And, it is certainly noted that they tried to assist when possible.

I doubt that Kowas Safaris would profit off any taxidermy they brought to Trophaendienste but I'm curious if they will continue to steer their customers in that that direction

I have no idea if Kowas did or did not receive a kickback (nor do I care). But, kickbacks from an African taxidermist to the outfitter that suggested them are much more the rule than the exception. It's just how business is done there and a commission is paid. Point being, you have to do your homework.

Wheels thanks for posting your experience as well. Multiple bad reports will keep unsuspecting hunts from using these guys.

I just got back from Namibia and deciding on which taxidermist to send my trophies to. The above mentioned taxidermist was one of the choices I was given. The other is Reiser. Does anyone have any experience with them.

Interesting - we used Trophandeantaise (sp?) for our first Namibian safari in 2014 , just dip and pack - our taxidermist was very pleased with the way our stuff showed up in Canada and we have a bunch of dandy mounts to show for it, A year later, on our second Namibian safari we used a different outfit and had a shipwreck similar to what you are talking about here, lost most of our capes and some of the skulls were badly overboiled ...

It seems most of the taxidermists and shipping agents in Namibia are completely incompetent. I just want my salted and dried skins shipped. It just does not take that long! Terrible!
Philip

I just got back from Namibia and deciding on which taxidermist to send my trophies to. The above mentioned taxidermist was one of the choices I was given. The other is Reiser. Does anyone have any experience with them.
Reiser screwed me on dip and pack. 18 months & bad communication. Do not use them! Horrible.

A mans worst nightmare for sure .
I used a firm in Omaruru for all my animals when I hunted Namibia .
I worried a bit when they didnt send any update photos of work completed .
But when they arrived I was pretty rapt to say the least .
What happenend to you guys really sucks .
Upside is you have to back and do it all again !
Makes me sick looking at your photos .
My wife said thats the luck we normally have .
Hope the new head skins work out .
Show us a few photos when your finished .
Cheers Dory.(y)

They did some excellent work for me and my buddy in 2013....perhaps business is deteriorating or the management is slipping now..

Reisers did work for me late 2014 and early 2015 Absolutely top notch right down to leapard whiskers on flat skin. Can't speak to dip and pack or recent work. I would use them again

Reisers did my work in 2013. Burchells, Mountain Zebra, Gemsbock, Kudu, Black Wildebeast, Impala, Sable and Cape Buffalo. I am very satisfied with the results. All mounts were shipped very well secured in wooden crates. Most were pedestal mounts with a couple of shoulder mounts.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,