Remington 7600 pump

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
O.K, here's my situation.

This year is going to be our first "proper" full hunting season together.
We being Penny, my 3 y.o Drattharr and I.

We hunt heavily forested mountain terrain targeting Sambar deer (similar to Caribou in size) generally in very thick, wet conditions.
Sambar can take a good hit from smaller calibers and carry them for some distance before expiring and in the thick can be hard to find if they travel too far.

Although I have several bolt rifles in adequate calibers that have proven effective when stalking on my own I have decided to try a 7600 pump in .35 Whelan whilst hunting with Penny.

Feedback from current owners is encouraged.
I'm looking for something that can take some rough and tumble without needing to be "nursed".
The slim profile and light weight of the 7600 carbine will be much appreciated.

My quandry is that I really want the .35 Whelan chambering but it is only issued in the carbine version with a 18.5" barrel which I am concerned about the muzzle blast produced potentially near the dog.
A 22" barrel would be much better in cutting down blast.

Would you get a brand new carbine and re-barrel or buy a 30/06 chambered 7600 and re-barrel.
Does it make any difference when the magazines are generic ?

Thanks in advance.

PaulT

It never hurts go get a new gun. :) but as long as the dog is used to the noise you shouldn’t have a problem. Blast or shock would be minimal to the immediate left/right of the firearm. We’ve used shorthairs for years with all sorts of gauge shotguns with multiple people hunting birds with no problems. Good luck in the upcoming season.

It sounds like you have some good times ahead! You and Penny make sure you share a few of your adventures with the rest of us ;)
My only advice is more in regard to Penny than the rifle. Back in a previous life I used to do some training and field trialing, but the dogs always gave up and wrote me off as untrainable, so now I just stick to hunting :)
Anyway, a rifle report is different on a dog’s ears than a shotgun report, so if you haven’t already I would take some time to acquaint her with shooting of a rifle around her. Starting from a distance away and working in closer until you are sure she is tolerating it well. Remember, the report of a gun should always mean the fun has begun! If at any time she does not react with excitement and joy at the sound of a shot, you need to proceed with great caution! She is talking to you and you must listen. I would just make sure she is well broken to the shot and shows no concern what so ever with rifles going off near her.
And you are probably already miles down that road, but always better safe than sorry. Gun shyness is one of only a few things that is really difficult to train out of a dog. An ounce of prevention is worth many, many pounds of cure.
I will defer to others with greater wisdom on the subject of the rifle.
Happy hunting!

Thanks Jeff and Ida for the help so far.

Yes, Penny is well and truly versed on the sound of a rifle.

I started rifle training when she was 6 months.
She would sit in my lap whilst I let rounds off with my 22mag.
Several months of that and she became quite bored with it all so I moved up to the .223 which she seemed to enjoy !!!
We then moved up to a 9,3 and she is good to go.

Im just specifically concerned about such a short barrel as offered on the carbine 7600. Unfortunately Remington does not offer a full rifle barrel in .35 Whelan.

Penny has already been in on about 8 deer kills but they were with my 9.3 with a full length barrel. Unfortunately it is too heavy for me to want to cart around the hills on each hunt.
Those little 7600 pump guns are 6 & 1/4 lbs and VERY handy to cart around and it wont worry me if it gets dropped, rained on or torn apart by the thick scrub.

I probably should have added that although she hunts off the leash she is usually right by my side, next to me. It is how I've trained her to hunt.
It is specifically at those times that I am concerned about the effect of a carbine barrel on her.
I am quite happy to simply pass that shot up and wait for a better opportunity, if that is what it takes.

My dog is more important to me than any deer.

you can find 7600,s here in 35 whelen with 22" barrels, I have one. but my main heavy brush rifle is a rem 7600 in 3006 carbine and works well with 165 gr nosler BT bullets at 2700 fps. my rem 7600 in 35 whelen and ruger #1 in 35 whelen and my rem 7600 in carbine in 3006.

DSCN0080.JPG
DSCN0589.JPG
DSCN1118 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a young bloke out to get a good bull last year with his synthetic 7600 .30-06 using Remington ammunition loaded with TSX. Worked fine. The young bloke had some trouble cycling cheap ammo prior to that, and I think he’s had some trouble with the aftermarket magazines. He had a red dot sight and did well.

Leslie, thanks for your input.

Down here I am looking at the newer synthetic model 7600.
Unfortunately in my hands with a dog to tend as well its going to get some harsh treatment in some harsh terrain and weather, so a bit of a "beater" in other words.

Seeing that you have the more earlier models can I ask how they have held up to use ?
Do they get rattly in the fore-end ?

Thanks again.

I have used Remington 760-7600,s for over 50 years and have never had a problem with any of them, I full lenth size my cases and check for function before using them for hunting. I never noticed any rattly forends. GRICE gun shop in pa. has syn stocked rem 7600 carbines in 35 whelen.

DSCN1477 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Leslie, your experience reassures me of my choice.
Unfortunately I am located a loooong way from Pa and the only locally available are the newer carbine models.

Here is a pic of me and Penny about a year and a half ago whilst firearms training.
(I hope it loads up).
IMG_1115 (002).JPG

nice looking couple. the rifle looks like a american 452 CZ .22 and I realy like the dog. is it part blue healer?

Spot on regarding the rifle Leslie.
Penny is actually a German bred Drattharr.

paul,
I once had a woody 308.
essentially the same gun, other than mine was self winding.
what I will say is that the woody was one of the best pointing rifles I have ever had.
so the pump version would be equally so.
mine was the basic model without the monte carlo, and it just lined you up with a low mounted scope.
be prepared to buy a small base full length sizing die if chambering reloads becomes an issue.
bruce.

I would say what I said in the bear thumpers thread and the 358 win, but more so.
some 35 cal bullets are designed for the 35 rem and similar, and can be a bit fragile in faster rounds.
on the other hand some whelens will shoot 357 mag pistol projectiles for cheap lower recoil practice.
bruce.

Beautiful pup! I have a 13 1/2 year old GSP. We have bird hunted every state from Canada south to Texas. Not sure how I’ll do once he passes. I’m not looking forward to it. Easily my best hunting partner ever!

A man and his hunting dog is a requirement for the man’s soul to be complete.

I have a synthetic stocked 7600 in 30-06 but with 22” barrel. I don’t think I’d like the 18.5”. Mine with 180-200 gr Nosler Partitions is my favorite dark timber elk rifle. Carries, balances and points very well.

Rebarreling 760/7600 is from whAt i have read and been told by local gunsmiths to be a chore. This being chalked up the rifles use of a barrel extension and headspacing issues requiring different bolt heads which are becoming more expensive and less frequently acquired. There is a gentleman in New Hampshire I believe that does all kinds of custom work on those rifles but it comes at a price tag and a long wait. I have had three 760s. I currently own an -06 and was going to have it rebored by a gentleman in oregon but it shoots too well to mess with just yet. The reboring costs just 225 bucks and i have read many a testamonial singing praises. I was thinking of buying another myself and sending it out before ever test firing to avoid getting attached to another rifle. You can find one with nice wood and rebore to 35 whelen with the barrel length you wish for less than the synthetic stocked carbine’s currently available.
Ps i had a 280 carbine that was downright abnoxious to shoot but ridiculously accurate. Good luck

Hi Paul.
Ahh, yes Sambar. Now your bringing back old memories. I last hunted Sambar about 30 years ago before I mover permanently to East Africa. I spent many a cold wet day in the Victorian high-county hunting Sambar, with now old friends. I recall friends showing up with all sorts or guns and some even opting for .458 Win Mags.
As for me I relied my now old 7mm Rem mag loaded with 175 gr Noslers, although at times I found myself with a number of different firearms and I even recall hunting with an immaculate old Jeffery double I had bough in .333 Jeffery, (now long gone).
I once had a Remington 742 auto in 30-06, it was a great pointing rifle and loaded with 200 to 220 gr Projectile it was a great combination for Sambar.
I think you would have a few options you could consider the Rem Pump in 35 Whelen would be a great gun but the same in 30-06 with heavy loads would not give up much. I knew some guys who used Marlin Lever guns in 45-70 and at the ranges you would encounter it would still be a good choice and give you that quick follow up you are looking for. You could also look and find a used under-over double in 9.3x74 and I had seen some for sale on the OZ used gun sites for about $2500.
I would think that the shorter barrel would not give you too many issues. If you could try one that would be best. At the times I get back to Australia I often think that I should try and get away and go hunt Sambar but the time to get myself organised again does not permit it.
I wish you luck whatever direction you go with the rifle choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg