Remington 7600 pump

I don't think factory ammo in 308 would ever be likely loaded with 4350, except for maybe 200 gn bullets. if such loads exist.
3031, 4064, 4895, and win 748 have always been go to for 308, and now varget/ar2208.
companies have also used powder blends that we cannot get, but in the burn rate of above,
paul,
could you close the bolt on a x62 round?
bruce.

Paul T, you are a man after my own heart. Owning 9.3 (s) in both 62 and 64 mm configurations and now looking at a Rem. 7600 in 35 Whelen. I'm betting that of the three, the 7600 will become your favorite. Not that you'll like it more, but you will probably use it more.

Wish ya'll would stop it. Giving me an appetite for a 7600 since I've never had one before, and I really don't need one.:D

Paul T, you are a man after my own heart. Owning 9.3 (s) in both 62 and 64 mm configurations and now looking at a Rem. 7600 in 35 Whelen. I'm betting that of the three, the 7600 will become your favorite. Not that you'll like it more, but you will probably use it more.

In addition, at some point this year I will be having an ultra-light, back-packing .338 built for my fly-camping trips !!!!

Wish ya'll would stop it. Giving me an appetite for a 7600 since I've never had one before, and I really don't need one.:D

Joe, I warn you NOT to pick one up next time you're at the gun-store or you will DEFINITELY be walking out with it !!!!

paul,
if you are mixing up 9.3x64 with 9.3x62, be very wary with 9.3 and 35 whelen!
those 2 rounds would look very similar.
might not be able to chamber a x62 in a whelen chamber due to longer headspace of the x62, bur a whelen woud definitely chamber in a x62.
I wonder what is the difference in headspace between a x64 and a x62?
bruce

Bruce, I wont be keeping the x62mm, simply too much duplication.
(for sale now on ssaagunsales.)

I simplify identification with the projectiles.
My 9.3x64mm is exclusively loaded with T.S.X's
The Whelan, when I get it, will more than likely be loaded with Core-loks.

Saves me having to find my glasses and look at the head-stamps.

When I have the ,338 built the belt will identify it quickly.

Here's a bit more back-round to help explain my madness.

There is only one local gunsmith that I trust to work on my rifles and he has being doing so for over twenty years. Trouble is he is over and hour and a half drive from my home and difficult to reach during work days and he is not open on week-ends.

Therefore if I happen to damage a rifle it means I could be out of hunting action for weeks at a time, his waiting list can sometimes extend to several months of waiting. I simply don't want to be not hunting for that long as it could ruin a season for me.

The Rem 7600 intention is for 90% of my hunting over my gun-dog mentioned in this thread.
Should I put this gun out of action I will employ the .338 which will be light-weight, easy to carry.

The main job of the .338 is for my fly-camping trips that involve several days of back-packing in to wilderness country, glassing and sometimes shooting at distances of up to 300m.

Should I put the .338 out of action I can always employ the 9.3 for the same task as although it is heavier it will still do the job and keep me hunting whilst I wait for repairs.
That's my plan anyway.

I guess i'm almost trying to cover all bases but i'm sure Murphy will find a plan C.

i have been lucky enough to have amassed a sizable collection of rifles-shotguns and have about 12 rifles and 8 shotguns out of my collection that I shoot much more than the rest of them, so in a emergency(firearm needing repair) I,m good to go. here are some that I keep out so I can pick the ones I want to use pretty quick. the rest are locked away with my pistols-revolvers.

DSCN1518.JPG
DSCN1517.JPG
DSCN1520.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
my alarm system inside and out is pretty good, with back up. and I have good friends(who are shooters and hunters) who live next(one very close) to me with big ass dogs. can I be robbed?, yes but a whole lot of things will have to go right for any would be robbers, and if one of the things go wrong for any robbers they will risk being crewed on by dogs at best and maybe shot for their troubles.

Well, what a cluster this has turned out for me.

There are absolutely NO full length barrelled .35 Whelans left in the country leaving me to HOPE that one turns up on the second hand market.
My trusted gunsmith is suffering bad health and may not be back at work for at least a month, possibly more.

I have priced importing a .35 from the U.S and it will cost me more than the rifle is worth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a quote for re-barrelling a 30/06 to .35 = $1000.

Now I am relegated to having to run with a 30/06 and loading 220gn's

Why is it that every time I decide on something I want I find that "it is no longer being made".

Shit a brick i'm pissed off !!!!

P.S.

Remington, you HAD a viable, marketable and practical product that sold VERY well, at least locally and you scrapped it.

Shame, shame shame.

This WOULD have been THE ONLY Remington product in my safe but NO the bean counters have decided against it.

Shame.

I got a quote for re-barrelling a 30/06 to .35 = $1000.

I haven't had a rifle rebarrelled lately, but a decent Shilen could be had four years ago for about $200 + another $100 for installation. Well short of $1000.

Ray, I've been told, rightly or wrongly, that there is more involved in re-barrelling a 7600 than a standard bolt-gun, at least here in Aus.

The quote given was from a gun-shop who approached the Remington distributor in this country to have the job done "in-house".

older Remington 7600,s whelens with 22" barrels with wood turn up here from time to time, I paid 450.00 for mine in next to unfired condition. the owner said it kicked to much(snow flake).

DSCN1255 (2).JPG
DSCN1253 (2).JPG
DSCN1254 (2).JPG

older Remington 7600,s whelens with 22" barrels with wood turn up here from time to time, I paid 450.00 for mine in next to unfired condition. the owner said it kicked to much(snow flake).

I know you didn't intend it that way, but this is just more salt in to my wound.

it gets even better, if you were here I would let you use it as I also have a ruger #1 in 35 whelen

DSCN1248.JPG
DSCN1249 (2).JPG
DSCN1252 (2).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross