Reloading

If you have some free time (and who doesn't right now) take a look at this guy.
Lots of good video comparisons on types of presses and other things as well.
It could keep you from making some costly mistakes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9q5g_4gZ76p7fFDwD6XY2A

I'm thinking about getting into reloading as well.
Been going over a spread sheet, doing cost analysis...exciting stuff.
The equipment list I have is pretty close to done and I'd be happy to share it if you like.

IF you keep it reasonable, to just the minimum needed to load accurate rounds, it does save a lot of money in the big calibers, however, in the end it is likely you will feel what you have isn't enough or have the desire to upgrade, stock up on stuff that will never be used, etc and then the cost factor goes out the window. All about necessity and self control, lol!

IF you keep it reasonable, to just the minimum needed to load accurate rounds, it does save a lot of money in the big calibers, however, in the end it is likely you will feel what you have isn't enough or have the desire to upgrade, stock up on stuff that will never be used, etc and then the cost factor goes out the window. All about necessity and self control, lol!
Self control! What’s that? A quarter of my basement is my reloading setup.... and growing.
Not much I can add to what others have said. I’ve been reloading since ~1977. It has given me the ability to choose my bullet and get the best accuracy and velocity combination for each firearm. Additionally, I can produce lower recoiling practice rounds for the large caliber rounds and create practice / plinking rounds.
As for manuals, all of the major bullet manufacturers have one. I think highly of all of them but I think the Sierra manual has more detail, particularly with regard to ballistics. I’m kind of a nut about manuals. As new editions come out, I buy them. They show loads for newer powders and bullets. NOTE: To reiterate what others have stated and the manuals emphasize... START LOW AND WORK UP your powder charges.
Just so you know, at least with me, there will be a little trepidation about the first time you pull the trigger on one of your reloads. You’ll find that you’re still alive and from there on out you’ll be fine as long as you follow the proper procedures.
Tangent to creating the “perfect” load for each firearm, there is the satisfaction of knowing that the cloverleaf on the target or the trophy you took is a culmination of your efforts.
Practice loads can be created using “blemished” or lower priced bullets, cutting the cost of practice and making you a better shooter / hunter.
The best additional tools I’ve purchased are an electronic powder scale/ throw (Mine’s a Hornady but there are several good ones). A Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress power case trimmer. Get plenty of the appropriate sized plastic ammo storage boxes. A couple of each size loading blocks (most handle a wide variety of case sizes).
I can tell you, you’ll never regret getting into reloading. Good luck and have fun.
As a side note, since we’re on lockdown, while the wife is watching a romcom on Netflix, you can be cranking out ammo.

I live in the Dallas Texas area. I really appreciate all the info.
If you ever get down Houston way, I’d be happy to walk you through the process after all of this Covid shit is behind us! There is always an after action review involving a scotch and a few beers though!

The way i see it, you will spend the same money at least on reloading as if you where buying factory loads. But, you will get to shot a lot more for that money.

Also to me, reloading is relaxing.
Get the Rcbs Rockchucker Supreme kit.

I was fortunate to have a neighbor who taught me and his son (my friend) the basics of reloading. We got to do the grunt work, ie resize, trim, clean. Then we progressed to priming cases and inserting the bullets. My friends dad did the powder measuring and dropping. I was a freshman in high school. I went on through college and when I finally got a job and some money, a friend and I put together a set of tools we shared.
Today I have wayyyyy too much stuff! I don’t know that I have ever broken even, but I enjoy it!
Personally I’d suggest a kit consisting of single stage press, dies, balance scale, Lee case gage trimmer, inside/outside chamfering tool, calipers, case lube (Imperial), oh and a stuck case remover (sooner or later you will get a stuck case).
My current single stage press is a Lee cast iron breech lock. I like it because it is much quicker to change dies. Hornady has one similar they call the Lock and Load. I just got tired of screwing dies in and out. The press needs to be an “0” type for best strength resizing large cases. They all come with a priming attachment. I have gone with hand priming tools for many years, but they aren’t needed.
Books...I like Lyman’s, but I have probably 10 dating back to the 1960s when I started. They have good instructions. Most everything else you can find on line. Hodgdon powder, Barnes, Nosler, Sierra (has a free app), etc.
You may also find used equipment posted at your local gun club.
Eventually you will get better/more equipment as learn what you want such as power case trimmer; power deburring, chamfering, primer pocket cleaner; either wet SS pin case cleaner, vibratory cleaner, or ultrasonic cleaner; electronic powder scale; etc, etc, etc.

Best of luck! You’re going to enjoy escaping reality by focusing on reloading!

I've been hand loading since the 60's. I started with a Lyman tong tool and graduated to an RCBS Rock Chucker press in 1970 that I've loaded over 200,000 rounds on. I now have a couple of Dillon presses, another RockChucker and a RCBS Summit press along with a lot of stuff like scales, priming tools and other stuff.

My advice on getting started is t buy the 50th anniversary Lyman reloading manual and read the part in the front of the book on loading a couple of times then get at least one other manual and read the same stuff in it. After you have a general idea of how things work and what you need to load with then start shopping for equipment. Keep in mind used equipment works just fine, there's always someone getting rid of stuff because they're "upgrading" or decided it isn't for them.

I know I'm not the only old experienced handloader on here so feel free to ask questions either in here or in a PM.

It's a fun, rewarding hobby I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do.

Here's a couple of pics of my bench and manuals in my bookcase.

bench front-01.jpg

bench side pic-01.jpg

Loading manuals-1.jpg

Great advice from all above. You will find that once you get bitten, uh, started , there will be no end. There will always be just one more piece of gear, one more bullet weight, one more type of powder, etc, etc. I haven't bought a factory round in many years, just components. The fun and satisfaction of building your own custom loads is immeasurable. And the good thing--you can do it all with just a basic setup. To me, all the fancy stuff is a waste of money unless and until you get into competition or other high volume activity.
Welcome and enjoy.

Great advice from all above. You will find that once you get bitten, uh, started , there will be no end. There will always be just one more piece of gear, one more bullet weight, one more type of powder, etc, etc. I haven't bought a factory round in many years, just components. The fun and satisfaction of building your own custom loads is immeasurable. And the good thing--you can do it all with just a basic setup. To me, all the fancy stuff is a waste of money unless and until you get into competition or other high volume activity.
Welcome and enjoy.

LOL

I used to think the same thing until I got tired of loading thousands of 45 ACP, 9MM and 10MM, sometimes fancy and progressive is good. I sure like my 2 Dillons for that along with 223.

I load all my loads I'm working up and almost all my hunting rounds on my single stage presses.

Lyman makes a good starter manual, as does Berger and Hornady although they posts loads only for their bullet line. Agree with the suggestions on kits such as RCBS and Lee. Online, there is a myriad of load information from the different powder manufacturers. Good luck with your new hobby.

I keep organizing the loading area and I think I’m about there.
7B39FCAC-A330-4FF0-91E5-AB3DCB447847.jpeg

I've been kicking around the idea of me starting reloading as I'm also interested in what tweaks to a particular set of components might provide the best results in my individual rifles. Here's a potential resource for a structured reloading training program through the NRA. NRA membership is not required to enroll and participate in the training offered. Some courses have prerequisites of course. It's the class I plan to take whenever I get serious enough to actually begin loading any of my own ammunition and a classroom environment is once again permitted.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

I don't expect this to cover everything that's good to know but I expect it to provide some solid fundamentals I can build from.

Thank you! I will check out this site!

If you have some free time (and who doesn't right now) take a look at this guy.
Lots of good video comparisons on types of presses and other things as well.
It could keep you from making some costly mistakes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9q5g_4gZ76p7fFDwD6XY2A

I'm thinking about getting into reloading as well.
Been going over a spread sheet, doing cost analysis...exciting stuff.
The equipment list I have is pretty close to done and I'd be happy to share it if you like.

That would be awesome! Thank you so much!

Self control will be a problem!

If you ever get down Houston way, I’d be happy to walk you through the process after all of this Covid shit is behind us! There is always an after action review involving a scotch and a few beers though!

I appreciate the invite! I might take you up on that one day!

The way i see it, you will spend the same money at least on reloading as if you where buying factory loads. But, you will get to shot a lot more for that money.

Also to me, reloading is relaxing.
Get the Rcbs Rockchucker Supreme kit.

I will put that one on my list to look at....thanks!

I was fortunate to have a neighbor who taught me and his son (my friend) the basics of reloading. We got to do the grunt work, ie resize, trim, clean. Then we progressed to priming cases and inserting the bullets. My friends dad did the powder measuring and dropping. I was a freshman in high school. I went on through college and when I finally got a job and some money, a friend and I put together a set of tools we shared.
Today I have wayyyyy too much stuff! I don’t know that I have ever broken even, but I enjoy it!
Personally I’d suggest a kit consisting of single stage press, dies, balance scale, Lee case gage trimmer, inside/outside chamfering tool, calipers, case lube (Imperial), oh and a stuck case remover (sooner or later you will get a stuck case).
My current single stage press is a Lee cast iron breech lock. I like it because it is much quicker to change dies. Hornady has one similar they call the Lock and Load. I just got tired of screwing dies in and out. The press needs to be an “0” type for best strength resizing large cases. They all come with a priming attachment. I have gone with hand priming tools for many years, but they aren’t needed.
Books...I like Lyman’s, but I have probably 10 dating back to the 1960s when I started. They have good instructions. Most everything else you can find on line. Hodgdon powder, Barnes, Nosler, Sierra (has a free app), etc.
You may also find used equipment posted at your local gun club.
Eventually you will get better/more equipment as learn what you want such as power case trimmer; power deburring, chamfering, primer pocket cleaner; either wet SS pin case cleaner, vibratory cleaner, or ultrasonic cleaner; electronic powder scale; etc, etc, etc.

Best of luck! You’re going to enjoy escaping reality by focusing on reloading!

Great information thank you so much!

I've been hand loading since the 60's. I started with a Lyman tong tool and graduated to an RCBS Rock Chucker press in 1970 that I've loaded over 200,000 rounds on. I now have a couple of Dillon presses, another RockChucker and a RCBS Summit press along with a lot of stuff like scales, priming tools and other stuff.

My advice on getting started is t buy the 50th anniversary Lyman reloading manual and read the part in the front of the book on loading a couple of times then get at least one other manual and read the same stuff in it. After you have a general idea of how things work and what you need to load with then start shopping for equipment. Keep in mind used equipment works just fine, there's always someone getting rid of stuff because they're "upgrading" or decided it isn't for them.

I know I'm not the only old experienced handloader on here so feel free to ask questions either in here or in a PM.

It's a fun, rewarding hobby I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do.

Here's a couple of pics of my bench and manuals in my bookcase.

View attachment 339020

View attachment 339021

View attachment 339022

I see this happening in the future...my wife will not be pleased!

Welcome and enjoy.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg