Reloading

Martin77

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I’m thinking about starting to reload my own ammunition. I was wondering where I should start?Where does everyone get their supplies from, who makes the best equipment etc.? I wish I knew someone who does this so I could sit with them a few times to see how it’s done. So any help would be appreciated.

I’d suggest doing a course if there are any available in your neck of woods. It’s easier getting started with some hands on experience than just reading about it or watching it done. Basic reloading isn’t very difficult but requires focus and some knowledge to avoid dangerous mistakes (eyes and hands don’t grow back!). Most who get started find it quite rewarding and somewhat addictive. I know I do.

As for brands, some prefer red products, others green or blue. Your gear choice will depend on the calibers you load and the type of shooting you’re doing. BR competitions have very different requirements to IPSC for instance.

Why do you want to start reloading? Is the commercially available ammunition not good enough or too hard to find? Is it a cost thing? Do you shoot expensive calibers or high volumes? These will influence your choices in equipment.

Ah reloading. Fun times.

My advice, having started out myself only a couple years ago, would be to keep it simple. First things first, get a manual. Hornady is ok, as is Nosler or Lee. Others are probably fine also, but I've only used these 3 myself, so can't comment. I'd have a read of the manual in the first instance, they shoul have a fairly comprehensive section on the basic process which'll get you an idea of what's what.

Next step, YouTube! Now I do not recommend taking anything on there as gospel, especially not specific load data, but a few channels such as 'Ultimte Reloader' do good introductory series which will talk you through the entire process. I found this much easier to follow and understand than any book instructions. Linky to a video that helped me:

Next, kit. As a newb, unless you're intending to do lots of high volume pistol loading (200 rounds+ / session), I'd advise a single stage press. Just less faff to set up and get going with.

For simplicity again, I'd go for a complete 'kit' to get started. Yes, you'll probably get some stuff you don't actually need, or wish to swap out down the road, but it's a good start, relatively good value and you can always sell or donate surplus things down the road. Lee do one, as does Hornady and RCBS. Any of the three will be absolutely fine. Lee is cheapest, but honestly, it's just better value, not objectively worse for the most part. Hornady or RCBS are a bit nicer to use longer term and look 'pretty', but for general reloading of hunting ammo, I don't think there's much in it. For what it's worth, I went RCBS. What can I say, I'm a kit snob!

In addition to this kit you will need dies, a set of good calipers plus of course components. A powder trickler is also a massive help and saves so much time that'd I'd suggest just picking one up from the start.

For dies, again, RCBS, Lee, Hornady, whatever you like the packaging and the price of really. Not much in it at your (or my) level of expertise. You'll want a full length resizing die, a seating die and a Lee factory crimp die (do get Lee for the crimp die, it's far and away the best solution). Don't get hung up on neck sizing, dedicated decapping dies, bushings or any of that rubbish for now, it'll come later if you're so inclined.

Next, components. I'd suggest that a good starting point for any newb would be to try and replicate what you already use. If you can, just grab the bullet that's in your factory as a good start. Brass can either be 1x fired stuff you already have, or buy some fresh. In theory, if you full length resize, any old brass from mates or the range will also do, but maybe first time round it's not the best starting point. For powder, your book will have a list of options. I'd pick something that you can reliably soure as the no. 1 priority. Sinlge base might be useful to save barrel life and temp stability is also useful. Additionally, if you want to load several cartridges, having 1 powder that'll do double duty across them can be useful. You'll also need primers. I like Federal, but honestly, they're all much the same. Just make sure you get the right size and type!

All that's left then is to get started. The process can be as complicated as you want here really, but it doesn't have to be difficult. The main priority is to ensure repeatability and safety, so read your manual, start the powder charge low down the range (ideally right at the bottom, but bottom third at least, and to start, simply load exactly to the given spec in the book in terms of seating depth etc. Again, if you want you can fiddle later on. The most important lesson here is WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! It's no good making some great ammo if youve no idea what you did, and actually having a record of this stuff is massively helpful if you want to fine tune later on.

You basically have 2 options for your first go:

1.) make 50x rounds using the book min charge and have a play - it'll give confidence, get you familiar with the kit, and honestly, if the accuracy is good and so is velocity, that might be you done!

2.) Make 50x rounds, 5x bottom charge, 5x bottom charge + 0.5gr, 5x bottom charge + 1.0gr and so on and so forth until you reach the book max value. DO NOT EXCEED THIS, at least not at this stage. Once you're more confident, you may find you have no pressure signs and want to go higher. Up to you, but a first load development is certainly not the time. You'll then want to go to the range, ideally with an experiened buddy, and even more ideally with that rarest of beasts, an experienced buddy with a good chronoscope. Start at the bottom, shooting for groups and chronoing as you go. Watch the velocities and check for pressure signs (the internet can give a guide, but this is really somewhere for the expereinced friend to guide you in, either way, if your velocities start creeping towards the top book values, it's time to pause and consider). Keep working up until you either find the accuracy and velocity you're looking for, or see ANY sign of excess pressure. Again, capture this data and then decide what powder load you're going to run with going forwards. NOTE: if you do go down this route, you'll likely end up with rounds with too much powder in that you need to take apart again. You'll need either a kinetic hammer, or a bullet pulling die. I like the die option, less faff in my mind, but each to their own.

I think that's about it for a starter! Of course, once you've fired these first couple sessions worth of rounds there's a whole world of reloading related excitement (or misery, depending on your philosophy) to get into. Seating depth, neck sizing, bushing dies, neck turning, concentricity guages, degree of crimp, the list goes on, and for the average hunter, it makes bugger all difference! Keeps us happy though, and keeps the reloading suppliers in the black...

All in all, I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on. Reloading can be a great hobby in it's own right, or a bit of a chore, but I can guarantee you'll learn a lot and ultimately making better ammo than factory for less money. Win win!

Al.

The least expensive way to get into it, to try out, would be to get a Lee kit. If you are only loading hunting rds in limited quantity and equipment cost is a factor get the handpress kit. It does the job and eliminates a few extra pieces of equipment, i.e. hand prime is not needed. If you are loading for light competition and/or already have a place to bolt it down, go with the normal press starter kit. If you are planning on heavy competition or handgun competiton then it will require much more investment in a progressive press and for that you will certainly want to spend some time with someone familiar with them to set it up properly and safely load.

When I started to handload in the early 70's there was no one to ask,and no internet etc so the Hornady manual was read and re-read till I understood the process. A Lyman press and die set, a set of scales powder primers and bullets and away I went. Wonderful (addictive) part of the guns and hunting lifestyle. I have to say that I only ever bought about 3 or four boxes of factory loaded centerfire ammo from then till now. It CAN get to the stage where you are not sure if you handload to go shooting or go shooting so you have empty brass to handload.
There is a difference between handloading and reloading.
Reloading is simply making replacment ammo where handloading is making better ammo

Excellent advice so far. Only things I would add is that OCD is never a problem when it comes to reloading, in fact be as anal as you can be. Do everything exactly the same way every time, consistency is the key to good hand loading.

Another thing is only change one variable at a time and record everything, it's very easy to get mixed up especially if you are only doing an hour or so every week or two weeks, you think you will remember but it's easy to forget.

Also, dont get hung up on the idea that more expensive will guarantee you more accuracy, you will get great results with the cheaper kits. I can honestly say that I have only ever come across piece of reloading equipment that was dumped and that was the lee safety scales that came with my kit, I replaced them with RCBS scales and never looked back.

I just started down this path. Buying the RCBS kit and other starter things. The previous 3 months reading and watching as much as possible to get the basics understood. I found that I was starting to use custom bought ammo which were proving to be more accurate than premium ammo. I wanted the ability to tune some loads in with the bullets I wanted to use. Right now it’s my 375HH but my 404J will soon be here. So for me it’s a new hobby and this virus was what made me pull the trigger. One thing to be aware of components are in a shortage especially powder. Especially the powders you might want to start with which are likely the most popular.

There are some very experienced reloaders on this forum, I am not one of them, but I have asked them for advice in the past. I am sure several will be along.

I’m thinking about starting to reload my own ammunition. I was wondering where I should start?Where does everyone get their supplies from, who makes the best equipment etc.? I wish I knew someone who does this so I could sit with them a few times to see how it’s done. So any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the world of handloading. Handloading can be a very rewarding, frustrating and addictive hobby. You will not save money but you will receive a lot of enjoyment. Start by purchasing a manual from one of the bullet or powder manufacturers, preferably from one of those that you plan to use. The will have a chapter on the hand loading process.

As far as acquiring equipment and components, there are many online sources if none are available locally. Midway USA, Grafs, Powder Valley and many more.

Best equipment is somewhat subjective but I would say RCBS and Redding are top choices. You can't go wrong getting a kit from RCBS with their Rockchucker press. For Dies, not knowing what calibers you plan to handload, I would say Redding or Forster for precision, RCBS for general. If you plan on doing a lot of handloading you will eventually want to get a power trimmer and power powder dispenser.

Where in the world do you reside? Maybe their is someone on the forum who could help get you started.

Welcome to the world of handloading. Handloading can be a very rewarding, frustrating and addictive hobby. You will not save money but you will receive a lot of enjoyment. Start by purchasing a manual from one of the bullet or powder manufacturers, preferably from one of those that you plan to use. The will have a chapter on the hand loading process.

As far as acquiring equipment and components, there are many online sources if none are available locally. Midway USA, Grafs, Powder Valley and many more.

Best equipment is somewhat subjective but I would say RCBS and Redding are top choices. You can't go wrong getting a kit from RCBS with their Rockchucker press. For Dies, not knowing what calibers you plan to handload, I would say Redding or Forster for precision, RCBS for general. If you plan on doing a lot of handloading you will eventually want to get a power trimmer and power powder dispenser.

Where in the world do you reside? Maybe their is someone on the forum who could help get you started.

I live in the Dallas Texas area. I really appreciate all the info.

I’d suggest doing a course if there are any available in your neck of woods. It’s easier getting started with some hands on experience than just reading about it or watching it done. Basic reloading isn’t very difficult but requires focus and some knowledge to avoid dangerous mistakes (eyes and hands don’t grow back!). Most who get started find it quite rewarding and somewhat addictive. I know I do.

As for brands, some prefer red products, others green or blue. Your gear choice will depend on the calibers you load and the type of shooting you’re doing. BR competitions have very different requirements to IPSC for instance.

Why do you want to start reloading? Is the commercially available ammunition not good enough or too hard to find? Is it a cost thing? Do you shoot expensive calibers or high volumes? These will influence your choices in equipment.

Thank you for all of the info. I will look for a course....maybe Cabelas does one here in Dallas. The reason why I want to reload is simple...it’s always interested me. I think taking game with something I have made would be interesting. It would be a good hobby during the off season too. All I need is another hobby

Ah reloading. Fun times.

My advice, having started out myself only a couple years ago, would be to keep it simple. First things first, get a manual. Hornady is ok, as is Nosler or Lee. Others are probably fine also, but I've only used these 3 myself, so can't comment. I'd have a read of the manual in the first instance, they shoul have a fairly comprehensive section on the basic process which'll get you an idea of what's what.

Next step, YouTube! Now I do not recommend taking anything on there as gospel, especially not specific load data, but a few channels such as 'Ultimte Reloader' do good introductory series which will talk you through the entire process. I found this much easier to follow and understand than any book instructions. Linky to a video that helped me:

Next, kit. As a newb, unless you're intending to do lots of high volume pistol loading (200 rounds+ / session), I'd advise a single stage press. Just less faff to set up and get going with.

For simplicity again, I'd go for a complete 'kit' to get started. Yes, you'll probably get some stuff you don't actually need, or wish to swap out down the road, but it's a good start, relatively good value and you can always sell or donate surplus things down the road. Lee do one, as does Hornady and RCBS. Any of the three will be absolutely fine. Lee is cheapest, but honestly, it's just better value, not objectively worse for the most part. Hornady or RCBS are a bit nicer to use longer term and look 'pretty', but for general reloading of hunting ammo, I don't think there's much in it. For what it's worth, I went RCBS. What can I say, I'm a kit snob!

In addition to this kit you will need dies, a set of good calipers plus of course components. A powder trickler is also a massive help and saves so much time that'd I'd suggest just picking one up from the start.

For dies, again, RCBS, Lee, Hornady, whatever you like the packaging and the price of really. Not much in it at your (or my) level of expertise. You'll want a full length resizing die, a seating die and a Lee factory crimp die (do get Lee for the crimp die, it's far and away the best solution). Don't get hung up on neck sizing, dedicated decapping dies, bushings or any of that rubbish for now, it'll come later if you're so inclined.

Next, components. I'd suggest that a good starting point for any newb would be to try and replicate what you already use. If you can, just grab the bullet that's in your factory as a good start. Brass can either be 1x fired stuff you already have, or buy some fresh. In theory, if you full length resize, any old brass from mates or the range will also do, but maybe first time round it's not the best starting point. For powder, your book will have a list of options. I'd pick something that you can reliably soure as the no. 1 priority. Sinlge base might be useful to save barrel life and temp stability is also useful. Additionally, if you want to load several cartridges, having 1 powder that'll do double duty across them can be useful. You'll also need primers. I like Federal, but honestly, they're all much the same. Just make sure you get the right size and type!

All that's left then is to get started. The process can be as complicated as you want here really, but it doesn't have to be difficult. The main priority is to ensure repeatability and safety, so read your manual, start the powder charge low down the range (ideally right at the bottom, but bottom third at least, and to start, simply load exactly to the given spec in the book in terms of seating depth etc. Again, if you want you can fiddle later on. The most important lesson here is WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! It's no good making some great ammo if youve no idea what you did, and actually having a record of this stuff is massively helpful if you want to fine tune later on.

You basically have 2 options for your first go:

1.) make 50x rounds using the book min charge and have a play - it'll give confidence, get you familiar with the kit, and honestly, if the accuracy is good and so is velocity, that might be you done!

2.) Make 50x rounds, 5x bottom charge, 5x bottom charge + 0.5gr, 5x bottom charge + 1.0gr and so on and so forth until you reach the book max value. DO NOT EXCEED THIS, at least not at this stage. Once you're more confident, you may find you have no pressure signs and want to go higher. Up to you, but a first load development is certainly not the time. You'll then want to go to the range, ideally with an experiened buddy, and even more ideally with that rarest of beasts, an experienced buddy with a good chronoscope. Start at the bottom, shooting for groups and chronoing as you go. Watch the velocities and check for pressure signs (the internet can give a guide, but this is really somewhere for the expereinced friend to guide you in, either way, if your velocities start creeping towards the top book values, it's time to pause and consider). Keep working up until you either find the accuracy and velocity you're looking for, or see ANY sign of excess pressure. Again, capture this data and then decide what powder load you're going to run with going forwards. NOTE: if you do go down this route, you'll likely end up with rounds with too much powder in that you need to take apart again. You'll need either a kinetic hammer, or a bullet pulling die. I like the die option, less faff in my mind, but each to their own.

I think that's about it for a starter! Of course, once you've fired these first couple sessions worth of rounds there's a whole world of reloading related excitement (or misery, depending on your philosophy) to get into. Seating depth, neck sizing, bushing dies, neck turning, concentricity guages, degree of crimp, the list goes on, and for the average hunter, it makes bugger all difference! Keeps us happy though, and keeps the reloading suppliers in the black...

All in all, I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on. Reloading can be a great hobby in it's own right, or a bit of a chore, but I can guarantee you'll learn a lot and ultimately making better ammo than factory for less money. Win win!

Al.

Thank you for the time you spent writing me on the subject. So much great information you have shared with me. I have ordered a DVD from Hornady and I will look for a couple of reloading books this week. This might be a good time to learn about a new subject !!

The least expensive way to get into it, to try out, would be to get a Lee kit. If you are only loading hunting rds in limited quantity and equipment cost is a factor get the handpress kit. It does the job and eliminates a few extra pieces of equipment, i.e. hand prime is not needed. If you are loading for light competition and/or already have a place to bolt it down, go with the normal press starter kit. If you are planning on heavy competition or handgun competiton then it will require much more investment in a progressive press and for that you will certainly want to spend some time with someone familiar with them to set it up properly and safely load.

Thank you for the input sir!

When I started to handload in the early 70's there was no one to ask,and no internet etc so the Hornady manual was read and re-read till I understood the process. A Lyman press and die set, a set of scales powder primers and bullets and away I went. Wonderful (addictive) part of the guns and hunting lifestyle. I have to say that I only ever bought about 3 or four boxes of factory loaded centerfire ammo from then till now. It CAN get to the stage where you are not sure if you handload to go shooting or go shooting so you have empty brass to handload.
There is a difference between handloading and reloading.
Reloading is simply making replacment ammo where handloading is making better ammo

WOW!! Three boxes from then to now...that’s amazing! Thank you for the information sir.

Excellent advice so far. Only things I would add is that OCD is never a problem when it comes to reloading, in fact be as anal as you can be. Do everything exactly the same way every time, consistency is the key to good hand loading.

Another thing is only change one variable at a time and record everything, it's very easy to get mixed up especially if you are only doing an hour or so every week or two weeks, you think you will remember but it's easy to forget.

Also, dont get hung up on the idea that more expensive will guarantee you more accuracy, you will get great results with the cheaper kits. I can honestly say that I have only ever come across piece of reloading equipment that was dumped and that was the lee safety scales that came with my kit, I replaced them with RCBS scales and never looked back.

Finally!! My OCD is a good thing! Thanks for that!

I just started down this path. Buying the RCBS kit and other starter things. The previous 3 months reading and watching as much as possible to get the basics understood. I found that I was starting to use custom bought ammo which were proving to be more accurate than premium ammo. I wanted the ability to tune some loads in with the bullets I wanted to use. Right now it’s my 375HH but my 404J will soon be here. So for me it’s a new hobby and this virus was what made me pull the trigger. One thing to be aware of components are in a shortage especially powder. Especially the powders you might want to start with which are likely the most popular.

That’s exactly why I thought about picking this up right now ! I’m going to spend the time find the right books to read and watch some videos on the subject. I ordered a DVD from Hornady this past week and hope to get it soon. I think I will start with my 30-06 if I start hand loading. Thanks for your time.

There are some very experienced reloaders on this forum, I am not one of them, but I have asked them for advice in the past. I am sure several will be along.

Once again they don’t disappoint! This has to be one of the best forums there is. I have learned so much from so many on here.

I went down the path beginning in about 1967. Off and on for a few years of interruptions, then "full bore" since late 1972. My first reload was 30-06. Had my dad's Win Model 54 carbine. Tried all kinds of components more or less suitable for the '06. That's about the time Nosler Partition bullets became widely available as about the only really premium hunting bullet on the market. I learned quickly about bullets that don't work so well for big game. Haven't used anything but the best available, tough hunting bullets for big game since then. No regrets either.

I think in hindsight and given the info available today, I would start down the path with reading and re-reading at least one or two manuals first. The more the better really. I like the Lyman manual. If I were just starting to load for say the 30-06... I would look at the common and popular 180 gr jacketed bullet as a good place to start. I see IMR 4350 and Rx19 are right "in the middle" of the burn rates for the recommended powders for the 180 in the '06. IMO, in the middle is a good place to begin for any load development. So I'd get about 100-200 new cases to start. A couple of pounds of a"middle" powder like IMR 4350 or RX19. A couple of types of bullets to learn and practice with- maybe a 100 regular cup and core 180 gr whatevers. A brick (1000) of LR primers.

So now what? If for example the good ole '06, I'd get a two-die FL set for 30-06 and RCBS is as good as any to start with. A Lee 30-06 FCD die.

A good press like an RCBS Rockchucker as the foundation for the process. A powder scale, an adjustable measure to drop powder, a trickler, a cartridge powder funnel, a loading block, lube pad and lube, an inside/outside mouth chamfering tool, a primer pocket cleaning tool, a decent .oo1" dial caliper, a case trimmer of some sort and a couple of ammo boxes to keep cases and ammo in- I like the Case-Card 50 type case that is large enough for the cartridge to be used.

Then a good strong table or bench to mount the press on and organized shelving for storing tools and components.

Now the bad news, It looks like we are in the middle of another shortage/outage of many components- not unlike the last run on guns and ammo and components. UGH! You may have to really scrounge for some of the better or more specific components- especially some of the powders. And failing to find everything quickly may call for some patience and search diligence.

And of course try to find a local competent reloader who can show you the basics.
Best of luck on the journey

I went down the path beginning in about 1967. Off and on for a few years of interruptions, then "full bore" since late 1972. My first reload was 30-06. Had my dad's Win Model 54 carbine. Tried all kinds of components more or less suitable for the '06. That's about the time Nosler Partition bullets became widely available as about the only really premium hunting bullet on the market. I learned quickly about bullets that don't work so well for big game. Haven't used anything but the best available, tough hunting bullets for big game since then. No regrets either.

I think in hindsight and given the info available today, I would start down the path with reading and re-reading at least one or two manuals first. The more the better really. I like the Lyman manual. If I were just starting to load for say the 30-06... I would look at the common and popular 180 gr jacketed bullet as a good place to start. I see IMR 4350 and Rx19 are right "in the middle" of the burn rates for the recommended powders for the 180 in the '06. IMO, in the middle is a good place to begin for any load development. So I'd get about 100-200 new cases to start. A couple of pounds of a"middle" powder like IMR 4350 or RX19. A couple of types of bullets to learn and practice with- maybe a 100 regular cup and core 180 gr whatevers. A brick (1000) of LR primers.

So now what? If for example the good ole '06, I'd get a two-die FL set for 30-06 and RCBS is as good as any to start with. A Lee 30-06 FCD die.

A good press like an RCBS Rockchucker as the foundation for the process. A powder scale, an adjustable measure to drop powder, a trickler, a cartridge powder funnel, a loading block, lube pad and lube, an inside/outside mouth chamfering tool, a primer pocket cleaning tool, a decent .oo1" dial caliper, a case trimmer of some sort and a couple of ammo boxes to keep cases and ammo in- I like the Case-Card 50 type case that is large enough for the cartridge to be used.

Then a good strong table or bench to mount the press on and organized shelving for storing tools and components.

Now the bad news, It looks like we are in the middle of another shortage/outage of many components- not unlike the last run on guns and ammo and components. UGH! You may have to really scrounge for some of the better or more specific components- especially some of the powders. And failing to find everything quickly may call for some patience and search diligence.

And of course try to find a local competent reloader who can show you the basics.
Best of luck on the journey

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me back. That is all great info....I will be looking for those manuals this week. This is a good time to spend some time reading! If I decide to go down this road of hand loading I think I will start with 30-06 as well.

I've been kicking around the idea of me starting reloading as I'm also interested in what tweaks to a particular set of components might provide the best results in my individual rifles. Here's a potential resource for a structured reloading training program through the NRA. NRA membership is not required to enroll and participate in the training offered. Some courses have prerequisites of course. It's the class I plan to take whenever I get serious enough to actually begin loading any of my own ammunition and a classroom environment is once again permitted.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

I don't expect this to cover everything that's good to know but I expect it to provide some solid fundamentals I can build from.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois