Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Anyone reloading ELD-X bullets? Do you use any seating die or have you opted for the specific seating stem that only goes in Hornady dies? I have read and watched some videos online where a regular seating die can leave an impression on the bullet, hence the need for the specific seating stem.

I recently purchased some 175 gr ELD-X bullets for testing in my 7 mm Rem Mag. I have RCBS dies, so wondering if I'll now have to get a set of Hornady dies. I will probably wait until I get the bullets and remove the seating stem from my RCBS dies and see how it looks.

The ELD-X bullets must be really good. I've seen boxes of 7mm Rem Mag selling for $100/box recently on GB. For that price, they should kill the animal and then field dress it.

Anyone reloading ELD-X bullets? Do you use any seating die or have you opted for the specific seating stem that only goes in Hornady dies? I have read and watched some videos online where a regular seating die can leave an impression on the bullet, hence the need for the specific seating stem.

I recently purchased some 175 gr ELD-X bullets for testing in my 7 mm Rem Mag. I have RCBS dies, so wondering if I'll now have to get a set of Hornady dies. I will probably wait until I get the bullets and remove the seating stem from my RCBS dies and see how it looks.

The ELD-X bullets must be really good. I've seen boxes of 7mm Rem Mag selling for $100/box recently on GB. For that price, they should kill the animal and then field dress it.
Wait and see. You may find that the standard stem is fine, as die manufacturers now seem to be making seating stems that suit long tipped bullets. I use Redding, and when I was developing loads for Sierra TMKs, I purchased an optional VLD seater stem, but it wasn't necessary.

If yours doesn't work, you may be able to deepen the cavity, or very likely (I don't know) that RCBS can supply a VLD suitable stem.

I found this product, made by Nosler, for the RCBS dies. Might work with the ELD-X too.

1614602799630.png

The Nosler Tech"s "tip" specific recommendation of chucking up your seating stem in a drill and using lapping compound is something that warrants remembering. JMHO

These days of scarce supply and exorbitant pricing may necessitate some innovative reloading practices. We need to be careful when making changes to our reloading protocols.

I load the ELD-X in several cartridges, 6mm 108 grain. 6.5 143 grain. 7mm 175 grain. 338 230 grain. All with Redding dies. Yes some will have a small shiny ring around them. All shoot very well.
If l was leaving a impression enough to effect accuracy when seating a bullet, l would check neck tension

Good morning @375 Ruger Fan

I reload my 6.5 CM using ELD-X 143 gn using a Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. It leaves a very faint ring IF ANY. It does not effect reloaded concentricity not have I noticed any ill effects...I have shot sub 1 MOA up to 600 yards with these bullets.

As @Newby has suggested, wait and see how it loads up your 7 MM Rem Mag.

Regards,

i use RCBS for my 6.5x55 and Hornady for my 308 (143 gr ELD-X for the former, 178 gr for the latter). I'm sub-MOA with both of them.

I'm not sure I'd want to push very hard on them, velocity-wise. They're good hunting bullets within their performance envelope, but that doesn't really include high impact velocities.

I'm a little north of 2600 for my 308, and right at 2500 fps for my 6.5x55

I reloaded them in .270win. The standard Forster Ultra Micrometer was absolutely fine.

Honestly, the tips are solid enough and seating is gentle enough (unless you have loads of neck tension I guess) that I'd be amazed if you could deform them so much that accuracy was meaningfully impaired.

Never an issue using std SP seating die cup. A gentle push until seated-don't hammer the bullet in and don't smash it at moment it seats (it's softer plastic). 'Same can happen with Nosler PTs or other lead-tipped bullets if not careful. I'm thinking a progressive would tend to mess the plastic tips up.

a periodic cleaning of the inside of dies with brake cleaner (and dry) will do no wrong after each session

I loaded a few 143gr ELD-X's for my 6.5x55 the other night and I did see a slight ring after seating, that was using lee dies. I did see somewhere that lee will make a seating stem to suit whatever bullet you want to use.

The Nosler Tech"s "tip" specific recommendation of chucking up your seating stem in a drill and using lapping compound is something that warrants remembering. JMHO

These days of scarce supply and exorbitant pricing may necessitate some innovative reloading practices. We need to be careful when making changes to our reloading protocols.
@Shootist43
Art that's why I like Lee dies with a floating seater plug. No such issues as each projectile is perfectly centered each time.
Bob.

i use RCBS for my 6.5x55 and Hornady for my 308 (143 gr ELD-X for the former, 178 gr for the latter). I'm sub-MOA with both of them.

I'm not sure I'd want to push very hard on them, velocity-wise. They're good hunting bullets within their performance envelope, but that doesn't really include high impact velocities.

I'm a little north of 2600 for my 308, and right at 2500 fps for my 6.5x55
@Sgt Zim
A mate used the 212grain ELDX in 300 win mag in Namibia. Yes they are an accurate bullet, yes the kill game BUT every shot suffered jacket and core separations with several jackets recovered but no cores even when no exit wound.
Even tho the kill game I would only trust them on a broadside shot and even then I would be wary. I personally like the SST as it seems to hold together better and even in flat base in my 25 it give less than half moa at 200 yards and all the deer I've shot just fall down. I have not recovered one yet as they have all been pass thru with good exit wounds and they leave the muzzle at 3,370 fps.
Bob

a periodic cleaning of the inside of dies with brake cleaner (and dry) will do no wrong after each session
@C.W.Richter
I thought every one did that C.W . I know I do and it solves a lot of problems. I also strip my sizing dies completely as you would be surprised at the amount of build up you get on the stems especially with Lee fls dies.
Bob

I have been loading the ELD-X for target shooting with regular Lee dies and have had no problems and the accuracy has been good (1/5 moa with load dev). I still have some ABLR left for my 7x64 and once they are done im going to change to barnes for game as the UK are phasing out lead core for game

@Sgt Zim
A mate used the 212grain ELDX in 300 win mag in Namibia. Yes they are an accurate bullet, yes the kill game BUT every shot suffered jacket and core separations with several jackets recovered but no cores even when no exit wound.
Even tho the kill game I would only trust them on a broadside shot and even then I would be wary. I personally like the SST as it seems to hold together better and even in flat base in my 25 it give less than half moa at 200 yards and all the deer I've shot just fall down. I have not recovered one yet as they have all been pass thru with good exit wounds and they leave the muzzle at 3,370 fps.
Bob
I don't use the 308 for hunting at all, and use Woodleigh 160s for my Swede's hunting load.

I used the 143gr ELD-X in my Ruger M77 6.5CR on my last hunt. No problems loading them on a Lee single stage and RCBS dies and the accuracy was impeccable. One shot kills on pg out to 186 yds through and through and a good wound channel. I load 37.5gr of 4064 to an OAL of 2.8 in. No visible marks on the bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg