Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Anyone reloading ELD-X bullets? Do you use any seating die or have you opted for the specific seating stem that only goes in Hornady dies? I have read and watched some videos online where a regular seating die can leave an impression on the bullet, hence the need for the specific seating stem.

I recently purchased some 175 gr ELD-X bullets for testing in my 7 mm Rem Mag. I have RCBS dies, so wondering if I'll now have to get a set of Hornady dies. I will probably wait until I get the bullets and remove the seating stem from my RCBS dies and see how it looks.

The ELD-X bullets must be really good. I've seen boxes of 7mm Rem Mag selling for $100/box recently on GB. For that price, they should kill the animal and then field dress it.

Newby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, North America, UK, Central Asia
Anyone reloading ELD-X bullets? Do you use any seating die or have you opted for the specific seating stem that only goes in Hornady dies? I have read and watched some videos online where a regular seating die can leave an impression on the bullet, hence the need for the specific seating stem.

I recently purchased some 175 gr ELD-X bullets for testing in my 7 mm Rem Mag. I have RCBS dies, so wondering if I'll now have to get a set of Hornady dies. I will probably wait until I get the bullets and remove the seating stem from my RCBS dies and see how it looks.

The ELD-X bullets must be really good. I've seen boxes of 7mm Rem Mag selling for $100/box recently on GB. For that price, they should kill the animal and then field dress it.
Wait and see. You may find that the standard stem is fine, as die manufacturers now seem to be making seating stems that suit long tipped bullets. I use Redding, and when I was developing loads for Sierra TMKs, I purchased an optional VLD seater stem, but it wasn't necessary.

If yours doesn't work, you may be able to deepen the cavity, or very likely (I don't know) that RCBS can supply a VLD suitable stem.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I found this product, made by Nosler, for the RCBS dies. Might work with the ELD-X too.

1614602799630.png

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
The Nosler Tech"s "tip" specific recommendation of chucking up your seating stem in a drill and using lapping compound is something that warrants remembering. JMHO

These days of scarce supply and exorbitant pricing may necessitate some innovative reloading practices. We need to be careful when making changes to our reloading protocols.

Mike Van Horn

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I load the ELD-X in several cartridges, 6mm 108 grain. 6.5 143 grain. 7mm 175 grain. 338 230 grain. All with Redding dies. Yes some will have a small shiny ring around them. All shoot very well.
If l was leaving a impression enough to effect accuracy when seating a bullet, l would check neck tension

yhc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria

Good morning @375 Ruger Fan

I reload my 6.5 CM using ELD-X 143 gn using a Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die. It leaves a very faint ring IF ANY. It does not effect reloaded concentricity not have I noticed any ill effects...I have shot sub 1 MOA up to 600 yards with these bullets.

As @Newby has suggested, wait and see how it loads up your 7 MM Rem Mag.

Regards,

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
i use RCBS for my 6.5x55 and Hornady for my 308 (143 gr ELD-X for the former, 178 gr for the latter). I'm sub-MOA with both of them.

I'm not sure I'd want to push very hard on them, velocity-wise. They're good hunting bullets within their performance envelope, but that doesn't really include high impact velocities.

I'm a little north of 2600 for my 308, and right at 2500 fps for my 6.5x55

Alistair

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
I reloaded them in .270win. The standard Forster Ultra Micrometer was absolutely fine.

Honestly, the tips are solid enough and seating is gentle enough (unless you have loads of neck tension I guess) that I'd be amazed if you could deform them so much that accuracy was meaningfully impaired.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Never an issue using std SP seating die cup. A gentle push until seated-don't hammer the bullet in and don't smash it at moment it seats (it's softer plastic). 'Same can happen with Nosler PTs or other lead-tipped bullets if not careful. I'm thinking a progressive would tend to mess the plastic tips up.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
a periodic cleaning of the inside of dies with brake cleaner (and dry) will do no wrong after each session

James Adamson

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I loaded a few 143gr ELD-X's for my 6.5x55 the other night and I did see a slight ring after seating, that was using lee dies. I did see somewhere that lee will make a seating stem to suit whatever bullet you want to use.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
The Nosler Tech"s "tip" specific recommendation of chucking up your seating stem in a drill and using lapping compound is something that warrants remembering. JMHO

These days of scarce supply and exorbitant pricing may necessitate some innovative reloading practices. We need to be careful when making changes to our reloading protocols.
@Shootist43
Art that's why I like Lee dies with a floating seater plug. No such issues as each projectile is perfectly centered each time.
Bob.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
i use RCBS for my 6.5x55 and Hornady for my 308 (143 gr ELD-X for the former, 178 gr for the latter). I'm sub-MOA with both of them.

I'm not sure I'd want to push very hard on them, velocity-wise. They're good hunting bullets within their performance envelope, but that doesn't really include high impact velocities.

I'm a little north of 2600 for my 308, and right at 2500 fps for my 6.5x55
@Sgt Zim
A mate used the 212grain ELDX in 300 win mag in Namibia. Yes they are an accurate bullet, yes the kill game BUT every shot suffered jacket and core separations with several jackets recovered but no cores even when no exit wound.
Even tho the kill game I would only trust them on a broadside shot and even then I would be wary. I personally like the SST as it seems to hold together better and even in flat base in my 25 it give less than half moa at 200 yards and all the deer I've shot just fall down. I have not recovered one yet as they have all been pass thru with good exit wounds and they leave the muzzle at 3,370 fps.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
a periodic cleaning of the inside of dies with brake cleaner (and dry) will do no wrong after each session
@C.W.Richter
I thought every one did that C.W . I know I do and it solves a lot of problems. I also strip my sizing dies completely as you would be surprised at the amount of build up you get on the stems especially with Lee fls dies.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NelleBruns

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.