Reloading Press for 4" Cartridge, 500/416, 470 Nitro, 500 Nitro

375 H&H and Flanged are 1/2" shorter than 500/416. That's an awful lot.

375 H&H and Flanged are 1/2" shorter than 500/416. That's an awful lot.
I must have read the specs wrong then, I just checked and with the bullet seated there is unfortunately only 11 mm clear space above.
20230215_190101.jpg

I must have read the specs wrong then, I just checked and with the bullet seated there is unfortunately only 11 mm clear space above.
View attachment 517509

You are on the right path.
25.4 mm equals one inch. A half inch is 12.7mm. 11mm is almost a half inch.

Thanks!!!

Have you seen the summit by RCBS? It has a 4.5" opening. Here is the link.

I believe Midway has or had them on sale.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.33.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.33.52 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Mark - the Lee Classic Cast is hard to beat by since it will take 7/8 & 1.25” dies and is large enough to accommodate even 50BMG.

This comes in really handy when mounted to a portable angle grinder stand so you can take it to the range with you for load development.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.34.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.34.16 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.34.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.34.17 AM.png
    860.7 KB · Views: 34
Mark - the Lee Classic Cast is hard to beat by since it will take 7/8 & 1.25” dies and is large enough to accommodate even 50BMG.

This comes in really handy when mounted to a portable angle grinder stand so you can take it to the range with you for load development.

I agree. I have one for my 500 Jeffery. Much heavier duty than my Lee Turret Press which I like a lot.

Area419 zero press
A 500/416 followed me home. As I made a couple dummy cartridges for it, I realized that I need a press capable of easily loading this 4" long cartridge!

Which single stage and it available, turret presses do experienced loaders of 500, 470, and 500/416 and other cigar shaped cartridges use?

Thanks in advance everyone!

I have loaded a ton of 470 and 450-400 3 1/4 on a Rockchucker IV. Sold it and bought a Redding T7. With both you need to place the bullet in the case first, slip the bullet in the die, then slide the case in to the shell holder. No issue whatsoever.

If buying a dedicated press for the longer cases one of the big ones mentioned previously would be great.
If you plan to use one press for everything you load my recommendation would be the T7.

Thanks! I have a Redding T-7 turret press and its companion almost 50-year old Rock Chucker relegated to bullet pulling. I'd like to find a press or presses with at least a 4" ram stroke.

If you plan to use one press for everything you load my recommendation would be the T7.

Thanks! I do however desire a press with more "ram stroke" than the 4" cartridge length.

AH friends (you are all my friends unless proven otherwise...) have provided many options from a Lee Classic to the super duper Area 419. Hmmm, what stuff that I no longer use or need can I sell to raise the $1,275 plus tax so that I can buy an Area 419 turret press. I am thinking this over...

Last edited:
I read right through your post about owning the T7. I do like mine.

See you are double distinguished, went out on rifle last year, was pinned at Perry by an AMU shooter. Shoot well enough for the P100 just have made mental mistakes in the past, but not this year, I will succeed. Sorry about the HP hijack.

I have a Hornady Lock n Load single stage press, no issues loading 470 Nitro Express.
On this press I have loaded, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 308 Win, 30-06, 375 Ruger, 375H&H, 458 Lott, 450 Rigby, 470 Nitro Express and also 500 Jeffery using 1 inch dies, I found a different size thread bushing for the 1 inch dies that screwed straight into the press. Pretty much a can do everything press in my opinion.

I do not reload, so please forgive my ignorance...

Will the Redding Big Boss II work for the bigger NE calibers? I was looking at reloading at one time and this was one of the single stage presses I was considering along with the RCBS Supreme. Not sure which has a larger usable opening.

Last edited:
Lee cast press is a good bet as some of the reloading dies need a wider body than conventional dies so you need bigger threads

Will the Redding Big Boss II work for the bigger NE calibers? ....along with the RCBS Supreme. Not sure which has a larger usable opening.
They do not have the 4"+ "Ram Stroke" necessary for effortless reloading.

This is an excerpt from the Redding Big Boss webpage:
"with a 1” diameter ram and longer 3.8” usable ram stroke"
https://www.redding-reloading.com/o...ss-ii-and-original-big-boss-reloading-presses

One certainly make do using a press that the longer cartridges must be inserted in at an angle. Gosh knows I've done it hundreds of times for 375, 458 Lott, and so on using my old Rock Chucker to pull bullets. My Redding T-7 turret press has enough pressing opening and 3.8" ram stroke for easy insert and removal of those cartridges. I got very spoiled using this turret press for loading all my rifle cartridges!

If I were going to shoot about 100 rounds of large bore cartridges per year, I might have decided to "make due" with the presses that I have. My shooting/reloading log books reveal combined consumption at nearly 500 rounds. That doesn't include the small batches of rounds that after a few shots, I put them aside and later pulled the bullets.

I learned long, long ago to gather my intelligence locally. "if you want to know what's going on, ask those who are actually doing whatever you are curious about. That I did on this forum. Thanks to all who provided information based on their experience!!!

Taking a break from my work yesterday, I spied in a for sale add of a well cared for Area 419 press with cover and mounting plate. The add was 26 minutes old. That press is on its way to me as I write this. A lot of money? Yes, no doubt. Will it be worth having a precision turret press for a very large cartridge? Well, since I will shoot the heck out of my new to me Kreighoff Classic, it is worth the money to me. Good tools that are often used pay for themselves...

Photo of my 500/416 in my backyard hunting blind. I didn't tell her that there won't be any Cape Buffalo or even American Bison passing within range.

Kgun in blind.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.44 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.45 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.54 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 8.16.55 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will get my use of the Area 419 press thanks to @RavenRocksPrecision...

Buy it when its available because when you need it, I will have already "stored my nuts for the winter..."

PS: My apology for the poorly lit photo but I think most all will get the idea!

IMG_20230218_054132699.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will get my use of the Area 419 press thanks to @RavenRocksPrecision...

Buy it when its available because when you need it, I will have already "stored my nuts for the winter..."

PS: My apology for the poorly lit photo but I think most all will get the idea!

View attachment 518005
I was just about to ask you if you had seen his deal on 500/416 brass. Apparently so!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross