• Lapua 220gr Naturalis (Lead Free)

• Barnes 250gr TSX Triple Shock FB

• Barnes 250gr TTSX BT

• Hornady 250gr GMX

• Norma 232gr Oryx SP

• Nosler 250gr Sptz Accubond

• Swift 250gr A-Frame

Results are only viewable after voting.
From your list of bullets, I would choose the NAB or the light Oryx for softer targets at a distance, and A-Frame for harder targets up close. Perhaps the monometals would be equally good up close, as they like velocity.

I recently picked up some Rhino Solid Shank 286gr, but haven't had time yet to start testing a suitable load. Also, I would not fear using the 320/325gr versions of Woodleighs and Norma Oryx for close range.

dean,
here is advice given to me by mr hober personally from swift bullets.
"drive them as hard as you can and try to hit bone"
bullets will often have less expansion going slower than faster.
cup and core going faster will open up more than slower as well, and can self destruct under certain circumstances.
swifts will open fast, as they are pure copper and pure lead. they also will not self destruct.
barnes require speed to open correctly.
so with side on chest shots they go through.
this will kill well with moderately good placement.
they will also reach vitals on angled shots, including through bone.
do not be afraid of going fast with good bullets, it can only benefit you, even though you get full penetration.
the old dwell time , and transfer all the energy to the animal arguments are actually now disproven.
bruce.
Thanks for the reply Bruce. That makes sense to me. And, if it is coming from the guys making the bullets, they should know what they are talking about.

sgt_zim, I have not put a lot of stock in the whole "energy transfer" thing either. I am more interested in making a recipe that lets a bullet do what it was designed to do, and to run it at the speed it needed. The 286gr factory loads I have been using worked well, but I thought that I could do better. Thanks for your advice.

Timbo, that is where your advice would come into play I think. I am a tinkerer by nature, so think that I would enjoy the whole process. I see a reloading press purchase in my future......

30 years ago, we probably all put a lot of stock in the idea of "energy transfer," myself included. The Hatcher Theory, which is what we're talking about, has simply been demonstrated as not accurate.

Recommendations on buying a press. If your budget will support it, a Dillon 650 will let you crank out ammo like nobody's business Having said that, I don't own one. My best friend and I used to reload a bunch of 45 ACP, 9mm, and 5.56. The Dillon is great for that, and he has one. But we figured out we'd rather drink whiskey, smoke cigars, and tell lies than spend THAT kind of time on reloading. Any more, for the ZA stuff, we buy factory. But for hunting ammo, we're both pretty anal, so we run lot sizes of maybe 50 at a time.

But...

I do most of my reloading on an RCBS Rockchucker. If you're going to drop coin, drop it on an automated powder dispenser. The good ones will run $300+. Bottom line - if you're reloading for the Zombie Apocalypse, get a Dillon. If you're reloading because you want to create consistent hunting ammo, get a Rockchucker and an automated powder dispenser. The powder dispenser will cut your reloading time by at least half. Still not as fast as a Dillon, but for hunting ammo, it isn't like you need to make ammo by the case.

While some folks say recoil from a 9.3x62 is mild, that's relative. It's mild compared to any of the .416s or bigger, but it still thumps like a 338 WM. I've shot as many as 40 in a single session, and that was too much by about 15 or 20. I'm a big guy, 6'6" and 240#, and not recoil sensitive. But 9.3 is still a thumper.

30 years ago, we probably all put a lot of stock in the idea of "energy transfer," myself included. The Hatcher Theory, which is what we're talking about, has simply been demonstrated as not accurate.

Recommendations on buying a press. If your budget will support it, a Dillon 650 will let you crank out ammo like nobody's business Having said that, I don't own one. My best friend and I used to reload a bunch of 45 ACP, 9mm, and 5.56. The Dillon is great for that, and he has one. But we figured out we'd rather drink whiskey, smoke cigars, and tell lies than spend THAT kind of time on reloading. Any more, for the ZA stuff, we buy factory. But for hunting ammo, we're both pretty anal, so we run lot sizes of maybe 50 at a time.

But...

I do most of my reloading on an RCBS Rockchucker. If you're going to drop coin, drop it on an automated powder dispenser. The good ones will run $300+. Bottom line - if you're reloading for the Zombie Apocalypse, get a Dillon. If you're reloading because you want to create consistent hunting ammo, get a Rockchucker and an automated powder dispenser. The powder dispenser will cut your reloading time by at least half. Still not as fast as a Dillon, but for hunting ammo, it isn't like you need to make ammo by the case.

While some folks say recoil from a 9.3x62 is mild, that's relative. It's mild compared to any of the .416s or bigger, but it still thumps like a 338 WM. I've shot as many as 40 in a single session, and that was too much by about 15 or 20. I'm a big guy, 6'6" and 240#, and not recoil sensitive. But 9.3 is still a thumper.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Rockchucker, That was going to be a question I had down the road. I have a set of the RCBS dies, and they look well made.
I find the recoil of the 9.3 not too bad, more of a "push" like a 12 gauge, as opposed to the "stinging kick" of a magnum. I wonder if it has to do with the fit of the stock as well. I had a .30-06 Browning BAR that I did not like one bit. It caused me to develop a flinch so bad that I sold the rifle, even though it worked very well. The CZ 550 "Hogsback" stock seems to fit me like a glove, and I wonder if that is what tames the recoil for me?

You simply can't go wrong with the excellent performance of the swift Aframe, whether its cruising at 3,100 fps or 1,800 fps, they're going to mushroom well for you and provide excellent terminal performance. A newer bullet I've been trying is the Hammer. So far it's provided excellent performance accuracy wise for both my 270WSM and the 338Federal. I'm taking these with me to East South Africa in October for a plains game hunt.

You simply can't go wrong with the excellent performance of the swift Aframe, whether its cruising at 3,100 fps or 1,800 fps, they're going to mushroom well for you and provide excellent terminal performance. A newer bullet I've been trying is the Hammer. So far it's provided excellent performance accuracy wise for both my 270WSM and the 338Federal. I'm taking these with me to East South Africa in October for a plains game hunt.
Michael, who makes the Hammer?
Dean

Michael, who makes the Hammer?
Dean
The name of the company is Hammer Bullets Company, they are based out of Montana. They have a pataneted design that reduces friction and increases velocity. Check them out on the web. THey also have a thread going on Long Range Hunter. What impressed me was their accuracy. I did a ladder test and was done after the first round. Very easy to find an accuracy node. I shoot them touching the lands. The penetration is supposed to be incredible. I've got a ten day hunt for ten animals in October in Africa and I'll be testing them out with my 270WSM and 338 Federal. Their unique design is really impressive. I'm expecting weight retention in the 90% plus category. They are a solid copper bullet.

As I mentioned they're a small company and you order directly from the company. Steve, the owner is a hands on operator. I spoke with him regarding the choice in weights for both calibers and he recommended the bullets I'll be using. It's pretty nice to be able to reach out to the head of the company and get direct advice as to what to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
The name of the company is Hammer Bullets Company, they are based out of Montana. They have a pataneted design that reduces friction and increases velocity. Check them out on the web. THey also have a thread going on Long Range Hunter. What impressed me was their accuracy. I did a ladder test and was done after the first round. Very easy to find an accuracy node. I shoot them touching the lands. The penetration is supposed to be incredible. I've got a ten day hunt for ten animals in October in Africa and I'll be testing them out with my 270WSM and 338 Federal. Their unique design is really impressive. I'm expecting weight retention in the 90% plus category. They are a solid copper bullet.

As I mentioned they're a small company and you order directly from the company. Steve, the owner is a hands on operator. I spoke with him regarding the choice in weights for both calibers and he recommended the bullets I'll be using. It's pretty nice to be able to reach out to the head of the company and get direct advice as to what to use.
Thanks for the heads up on the Hammer Bullets Michael, I will check them out. It is pretty rare that you get to speak with a person on the other end of the phone, let alone the owner of the company.
Dean

@DmacD - several of the bullet mfgs will talk to you. I've been on the phone with engineers from Barnes and Swift. Not the owners, of course, but guys who knew what they were talking about. And @Montana Rifle Company 's Ron Petty is the former boss of Norma USA. We've exchanged emails, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to chat with you about both his current and former companies and their products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Swift 250gr A-Frame is the favourite here, but I like the sound of talking to the maunfacturers themselves to see what they recommend. It never occurred to me to just ask them. Thanks to all who replied.
Dean

I struggled for a while finding a good load for my 9.3x62. My particular rifle is a Forbes 24B that I had rebarreled by Douglas. Melvin Forbes of New Ultralight Arms rebedded the barrel, replaced the extractor and painted the stock for me.
I use Norma brass , which even on sale, isn't the cheapest. I obsess about getting every FPS that I can in a load, but took a step back and decided to be realistic. The loads stated are loads that are safe in my rifle. I paired the 350-grain Barnes TSX with 57.5 grains of Varget for about 2,520 fps. Five rounds shoot within an inch when I do my part. The Barnes TTSX and the Swift A-frame both shoed promise that load, but I decided to concentrate on the TSX. This is the load I'm taking to South Africa for my hunt with Pawprint Safaris later this month.
I also found 58.5 grains of RL-15 paired with either the 285-grain Lupua Mega and the 286-grain Nosler Partition. The Partition runs about 2,450 fps. The Mega is very consistent between 2,475 and 2,480. I experienced flat primers with a little cratering. Lately, I've been using Ramshot Big Game and the Mega and Partition. I'm around 2,420 fps for both with good accuracy.
Good luck in your search.
What are you hunting with Pieter?

What are you hunting with Pieter?
Cape Buffalo and Sable. If things go well, I'm hoping to spend some time hunting warthog as well. I'm using a .416 Ruger with 400-grain TSX for the Buffalo.

Don't shoot all the buffalo! I'm coming to hunt in July! Save me a 40"! Haha!
I was told he's got a 42" bull if you're prepared to outlay the extra cash?

Don't shoot all the buffalo! I'm coming to hunt in July! Save me a 40"! Haha!
I'm pretty excited about this. I leave in 7 days, 7 hours and 57 minutes. Thank you, Countdown Star! This is my first hunt with Pawprint and my first for Buffalo. I'm focusing on a solid-bossed OLD bull. I'm not prioritizing width over boss and age. Good luck @TOBY458 and @Timbo! It will be Norfolk Shooter's second trip with Pawprint and Dabloobana's first. We decided to coordinate out hunts when we met in London.

I'm pretty excited about this. I leave in 7 days, 7 hours and 57 minutes. Thank you, Countdown Star! This is my first hunt with Pawprint and my first for Buffalo. I'm focusing on a solid-bossed OLD bull. I'm not prioritizing width over boss and age. Good luck @TOBY458 and @Timbo! It will be Norfolk Shooter's second trip with Pawprint and Dabloobana's first. We decided to coordinate out hunts when we met in London.
You'll enjoy it! We had a great hunt with them last year. I shot a nice, hard bossed buffalo, and 7 head of PG. Pieter runs a top notch outfit. And, prices are reasonable as well.

Best of luck to you guys and have a great time!! I'm certain that once you experience the rush of hunting DG you'll want to hunt it again, and again and again........!! Enjoy the affliction!! :)

Well, as much as my rule is: One load/rifle...?

This new 9.3x62 is getting a handful, to be handloaded to target velocities of:

- 286 gr. Swift A-Frame @ 2400 fps.
- 285 gr. Norma Oryx @ 2420 fps.
- 286 gr. Hdy SP-RP @ 2380 fps.
- 270 gr. Speer Hot-Cor @ 2420 fps.

Which should give all of them a 3" rise (scoped) for a 200 yd. zero, and a hair under 12" drop at 300.

(Would like to also add a 250 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2400 fps as well, for the same trajectory, if some become available)

Red

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg