Media
Articles
Member of
Alain Lefol Safaris
Hunted
C.A.R., Tanzania, Zimbabwe & Chad
Hello everyone,

Here some Red River Hog of the season.

The first one was taken in earlier February we were heading to a salt lick when the tracker heard a noice of Red River Hog in the forest. We approached slowly when I spotted a hog in a small swamp then an other came out I tried to get the client in position couldn't see them at 20 yards... So we change of position to have more light and finally could spot them and took the shot one this nice male who drop on his track the second did move. Suddenly 6 other Reds Rivers Hogs came out and were eating in a front of us.

48 kg (105 lbs)

tempImagez5k9PN.jpg

The 3 other one were taken in March:

This one is biggest body we have hunted this season 75 kg(165 kg) a small approached after the tracker spotted him.
7B4B755B-E845-4BDD-AB2F-245028895848.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

This one was hunted just before dark we were coming back from a salt lick by foot when in the big opening 12 Reds Rivers Hogs were crossing I made the decision to cut them before they will enter in the big bako. We walked fast and got in position the Hogs were stopped in small island of savanna woodland. They started to come out the client was on the sticks ready and the first was the big male on my oder the client pulled the trigger and my a very good shot just behind the shoulder. The Hog run 60 yards and collapse.
70kg(154lbs)
20220326_175736.jpg

The next was hunted a long some small waterhole looking for buffalo tracks when the team heard some noice next to the water 3 Red Rivers Hogs were taking their bath. Everybody got in position the hogs didn't notice us and the client made a perfect shot and dropped him.
68kg(150lbs)
tempImageFh6GeW.jpg

The next one was hunted in June

We were crossing a small opening between bako and smaller island of forest when 5 Reds Rivers Hogs came out trotting of one of them. Use to driven hunt the client didn't have to shoot a moving animals when I told him to take the last one he made a good shot before the hog entered in the bako.
53kg(116lbs)
20220619_165936.jpg
20220619_165949.jpg

The Red River Hog is very good meat more compare to the warthog and very distinct smell.

Other pictures:
b786ddb0-e195-4665-a4a0-1a8ef6f27891-jpeg.486229
eadb18b6-8fa9-429b-b152-de0b8d9bdf07-jpeg.486231
[
9c2e88dc-90d7-42da-82a4-0fbab6d67108-jpeg.486232
/
eb3e7679-62c2-47c0-9902-f870890a8134-jpeg.486233

Attachments

• B786DDB0-E195-4665-A4A0-1A8EF6F27891.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 556
  • EADB18B6-8FA9-429B-B152-DE0B8D9BDF07.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 556
  • 9C2E88DC-90D7-42DA-82A4-0FBAB6D67108.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 544
  • EB3E7679-62C2-47C0-9902-F870890A8134.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 548
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, never seen these . They have a distinct look.

Awesome thanks for posting, really into my hogs these guys are very interesting.
The Bushpig I have taken & guided on in the Limpopo of SA seem very Red to unlike some of the Pigs from farther south ?

Awesome thanks for posting, really into my hogs these guys are very interesting.
The Bushpig I have taken & guided on in the Limpopo of SA seem very Red to unlike some of the Pigs from farther south ?
The biotope can have some impact one the colour the animals, I have never hunted bushbig in South Africa...

What an adventure, Thanks for sharing this with us,
Well done.

Wow.
If money & travel were no object, given every huntable species on the planet, THIS would still be my number 1 choice hunt.
Hi robtattoo
May i ask why you you place this mail ?
If you do not have the money & do not want to travel,...then pls do not react to forum members input.
Usually,...red river hogs , take some time to find in inclement condititions.
If you go through "tour groups",...you will find them easily (how much do you want to pay ?).
If you enter & hunt a current african countries,...it might take you a while.
At the end of the day it's just ANOTHER international pig.

Kind regards,
MBA0418

Hi robtattoo
If you do not have the money & do not want to travel,...then pls do not react to forum members input.
If you go through "tour groups",...you will find them easily (how much do you want to pay ?).

Kind regards,
MBA0418
Sir, I see nothing wrong with his post. He's pointing out he'd put this on the top of his list if he had the time and means to travel there. I can think of a few species I'd love to hunt but limited resources prevents me from pursuing them. And I agree with him, this would be high on my list too if I had the means. That's life.

Last edited:
Hi robtattoo

Kind regards,
MBA0418
No offense but this sounds like you misunderstood him.

If he had lots of money he would like to do it. We all want lots of things but cannot afford everything we want.

He's a keen hog hunter and would like to hunt these but he has other priorities that get funded before this can.

It seems that English is not your first language. Seems like a language barrier.

Wow.
If money & travel were no object, given every huntable species on the planet, THIS would still be my number 1 choice hunt.

Rob,
It seems a new member misunderstood your meaning above.

Imagine if I said your Keen as Mustard and you would be all over this like a fat kid on a Smartie if you had the dough.

The biotope can have some impact one the colour the animals, I have never hunted bushbig in South Africa...

I’ve read somewhere that scientifically Red River Hog and bushpig are the same species. I’m not quite sure how true that is though.

Bushpigs in South Africa and other regions vary widely in colour. I’ve only shot one in the Eastern Cape of South Africa which was quite red (pic below). Have seen pictures of some that vary from either very dark (almost black) to ons that are almost completely white and everything in between.

Very interesting animals! Thanks for your pictures!
IMG_2964.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg