Red Dot & RMR Sights For Dangerous Game Rifles

I have questions on a Red Dot Scopes for a 470NE Double. Presently I have a Leopold VX 1.5x5 scope which I wish to replace ( Excellent Condition). My question is I like to think of myself as sorta a purist with doubles. I wish for a Red dot scope for longer distances but also would like to see above the Red Dot scope for close encounters. I am wanting a compact small scope that will do the job at longer distances.
I am interested to know what people would recommend and why.
@Mark A Ouellette is our best expert on red dot scopes

Thanks @Rare Breed , but I haven’t shot nearly as much plains or dangerous game with a red dot sight as has @Tanks . I think that maybe @Manny R may be asking about red dot sights rather than riflescopes.

As for many modern riflescopes, may have illuminated red and sometimes green reticles. Take your choice of the many scope that have true 1x or no magnification at the bottom end and increase to 4, 5, 6, or even 8 times magnification. Their weight with scope rings will add a pound or more, probably a pound and a quarter when mounted on your rifle. That will change the handling of your rifle.

Red dot sights, miniature red dots such as Trijicon RMR and SRO or other brands/models are very small and light. I like Trijicon SROs for their large view screen and @Tanks prefers their lower profile RMR model. The German Doctor sights also have a great reputation. There are of course others that our AH members shoot and hunt with.

@Kevin Peacocke has a very low profile mount for his red dot. Maybe he will repost that photo?

Personally, I have a Heym 88 in .458 Win and a Krieghoff Classic 500-416, both with 1 MOA SROs mounted. I haven’t hunted with the K-gun yet but my trust Heym four five eight has killed buffalo, and plains game. My longest shots were dropping a giraffe at a measured 116 yards, and a far too long shot at dusk at a wildebeest at 150 yards. At that range, the 5,000 foot pounds of 458 energy has dropped to half. Those big, fat, low ballistic coefficient big bore bullets slow down and drop rather quickly. For a practical 470 Nitro distance of 100 yard, I recommend a small red dot with a 1 MOA dot.

Please read this entire thread for more detailed information.

If you were asking about having a red dot sight (not scope) mounted, with the capability to quickly attach a riflescope, the Merkel 140AE in .375 H&H in the photos below has that. Recknagel ERA pivot (side swing) mounts with the rib milled to accept a quick release red dot mount. The photo is of a Trijicon SRO mounted in front of a scope. That mount is too high for this dual application, as is the SRO. The RMR is a lower profile red dot sight than the SRO. With a @Kevin Peacocke type lower mount, the scope’s cross hairs will be above the crosshairs. I have an RMR and with that mounted as below, the crosshairs are a little above the RMR. Try Kevin's mount with a low profile red dot sight and you will be set!

Merkel 140AE SRO & Scope 2.jpg
Merkel 140AE SRO & Scope.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Rare Breed , but I haven’t shot nearly as much plains or dangerous game with a red dot sight as has @Tanks . I think that maybe @Manny R may be asking about red dot sights rather than riflescopes.

As for many modern riflescopes, may have illuminated red and sometimes green reticles. Take your choice of the many scope that have true 1x or no magnification at the bottom end and increase to 4, 5, 6, or even 8 times magnification. Their weight with scope rings will add a pound or more, probably a pound and a quarter when mounted on your rifle. That will change the handling of your rifle.

Red dot sights, miniature red dots such as Trijicon RMR and SRO or other brands/models are very small and light. I like Trijicon SROs for their large view screen and @Tanks prefers their lower profile RMR model. The German Doctor sights also have a great reputation. There are of course others that our AH members shoot and hunt with.

@Kevin Peacocke has a very low profile mount for his red dot. Maybe he will repost that photo?

Personally, I have a Heym 88 in .458 Win and a Krieghoff Classic 500-416, both with 1 MOA SROs mounted. I haven’t hunted with the K-gun yet but my trust Heym four five eight has killed buffalo, and plains game. My longest shots were dropping a giraffe at a measured 116 yards, and a far too long shot at dusk at a wildebeest at 150 yards. At that range, the 5,000 foot pounds of 458 energy has dropped to half. Those big, fat, low ballistic coefficient big bore bullets slow down and drop rather quickly. For a practical 470 Nitro distance of 100 yard, I recommend a small red dot with a 1 MOA dot.

Please read this entire thread for more detailed information.

If you were asking about having a red dot sight (not scope) mounted, with the capability to quickly attach a riflescope, the Merkel 140AE in .375 H&H in the photos below has that. Recknagel ERA pivot (side swing) mounts with the rib milled to accept a quick release red dot mount. The photo is of a Trijicon SRO mounted in front of a scope. That mount is too high for this dual application, as is the SRO. The RMR is a lower profile red dot sight than the SRO. With a @Kevin Peacocke type lower mount, the scope’s cross hairs will be above the crosshairs. I have an RMR and with that mounted as below, the crosshairs are a little above the RMR. Try Kevin's mount with a low profile red dot sight and you will be set!
The base is a Henneberger for Trijicon. You will need to mill out the groove of the base to fit your rib, then drill and tap two holes in the rib.
B04AF9E1-9F50-47B1-9E35-F7E559920BC1.jpeg

5761A3E4-0533-42E5-8597-162F938CA44A.jpeg

...Their weight with scope rings will add a pound or more, probably a pound and a quarter when mounted on your rifle. That will change the handling of your rifle.
It will also change the regulation. For my Heym 9.3x74R rifle I sent my scope so they could use it to regulate. Also, for the Rigby I recently ordered, I sent them a scope for the .450/400 barrel and a 1MOA Trijicon for the .500 NE barrel.

I found an informative video on Optics for Dangerous Game by Desert Dog Outdoors.
The presenter is a dangerous game hunter and former High Power Rifle competitor. While he is NOT the most entertaining speaker I've ever heard, this video is spot on and well worth watching. I would not be surprised if he is a member of this AH forum.

Here is an update with new Trijicon RMR-type red dot reflex sights:

Select a 1 MOA dot if you want accuracy at 100 meters!

RMR model if you desire the (formerly) smallest size Trijicon reflex sight.
1694991662181.png

SRO if you desire a larger viewing screen with top loading battery.
1694991406923.png

Red Dot and RMR Sights for Dangerous Game Rifles Above photos are Trijocon SRO on Heym 88B I have been contributing information concerning Red Dot and RMR Sights for Dangerous Game Rifles on a couple of other threads that some AH members may have missed.

RMR HD with top loading battery:
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmr-hd-reflex-sight
1694991323906.png

RMR CC (Concealed Carry), a smaller version RMR:
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmr-hd-reflex-sight
1694991270431.png

RCR enclosed emitter reflex sight:
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rcr-reflex-sight
1694991222640.png

I prefer the SRO model. Others prefer the original RMR. But these new models look interesting.
I would pick a top loading (battery) model in 1 MOA. Other than that, they are all good, rugged choices!

Attachments​

• Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.59.26 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.59.26 AM Large.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.59.38 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.59.38 AM Large.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.59.47 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.59.47 AM Large.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 15

Does anyone know if someone makes a quick release RMR mount for a Talley base?

Although I prefer using iron sights I do have an AimPoint H30L as an option for my .500 Ruger No 1. The H30L is more "scope Like" in appearance and mount's in 30mm QD rings. It's heavier than the smaller formats presented hear of course. This thing can take a beating for sure.

I also have an EoTech 512 on my 45o Bushmaster AR and a cheap TruGlo on my 458 SOCOM AR. As Mark said in so many words, "you get hat you pay for". For a features standpoint the TruGlo is very cool, problem is it will not hold zero on even mildly recoiling rifles. I think it is interesting that while the TruGlo will hold zero on the 458 SOCOM it does not on the 450 Bushmaster. Good thing they have a lifetime warrenty, they've sent me 3 of them.

The EoTech is a military grade holographic sight, bullet proof, no problems at all with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DemiShiels

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.