Red Dot & RMR Sights For Dangerous Game Rifles

I was also concerned about heavy recoil on my 458 Lott and an Reflex sight guys shooting pistol competition shooting over 1000 rounds per weekend don't have any issues and that is a slide that slides back hard and fast then comes to adrubt stop when loaded.

I am sure the recoil on that is much more severe going backwards and forwards all the time while the rifle only has backward recoil.
The Issue I have seen is the mounting system not the sight that is the weakest link.
If the mounting system is good you will be good with a reflex sight.
I shoot a 500 NE with no problems

AHR QD mount installed on a BRNO 602.
CACFE49A-E547-43D4-90A2-281F7AC3242C.jpeg

I'm not sure yet what direction I'll take.

For my 416 Rigby Vereecke which has pivot mounts, he showed me a red dot mount with a little lever, that allows for a red dot to be mounted on the front (pivot) mount. it was much thinner than expected.

You answered your own question perfectly.

You answered your own question perfectly.

That would indeed be the most convenient answer.

I’m just wondering if I would like it even more, mounted further forward on the rib… I would need to check if those mounts would be lower as well.

They were als recommending the Burris fast fire 2… not convinced at all about that one. Also tried out a Leica, which looked very clean and crisp. Other options would be Docter, Trijicon SRO and RMR.

I would like to thank all for the mass amount of information and opinions. My eyes are an issue, like most of the other respondents. What I get out of this is, it is a personal choice and firearm dependent. My choice of mounts would have been something else, but I have a 375-338 on a 1903 Springfield and no quick releases made. So Picatinny rail machined out like a Leupold one piece mount and quick release ring for the scope and Now also for a red dot. It was worth read all 5 pages! Since most people were talking about their eyes, it says something about the age of most of this group!

No love for a good Ghost ring? I'm not a red dot fan. I will not mount one on my EDC why would I consider one for a rifle?

The rifle has a back up lyman peep sight.....just to slow (me). I thought about drilling it out to make a larger aperture. Wonder if it could be fitted with a real ghost ring.

No love for a good Ghost ring? I'm not a red dot fan. I will not mount one on my EDC why would I consider one for a rifle?
Well, each to his own. To date I have taken 5 elephants and 2 buffalo with a red dot and more to come this year. A Stateside cougar hunt will be with a red dot just like the bear I took some years ago as well.

I agree on not putting one on my EDC as circumstances are much different.

Thanks for an very helpful discussion. brian

Weather and schedule finally aligned for dialing in the RMR on my .470 with my second range trip after installation. L&R 50yds standing with shooting sticks.
5B2BBF7B-5B75-4E96-8898-DABFC57FBB2B.jpeg

Shooting for accuracy has honestly taken a little getting used to as this is my first RMR sight on a hunting rifle. However the above group are two of the just 8 rounds fired on paper thus far.

The remainder of the 30 rounds fired were at 8” steel plates free hand at 50-100yds; that is when I can really tell the difference at how quickly I can mount the gun from the low ready position and hear the ring of the steel plate while the rifle is in recoil is substantially quicker.

Weather and schedule finally aligned for dialing in the RMR on my .470 with my second range trip after installation. L&R 50yds standing with shooting sticks.
View attachment 522528

Shooting for accuracy has honestly taken a little getting used to as this is my first RMR sight on a hunting rifle. However the above group are two of the just 8 rounds fired on paper thus far.

The remainder of the 30 rounds fired were at 8” steel plates free hand at 50-100yds; that is when I can really tell the difference at how quickly I can mount the gun from the low ready position and hear the ring of the steel plate while the rifle is in recoil is substantially quicker.
That is fantastic Deewayne, well done.

First trip to the range with new RMR mounted on my .470 yesterday and it was an eye opening experience.

View attachment 518061

4 shots at 50yds off of sticks had it sighted in and then I decided to try shooting an 8” steel plate free hand at 100yds …. BOOM!-CLANG!

The sound of those steel plates ringing from 100yds while the rifle is still in recoil is music to my ears and I just keep playing until I ran out of ammo.
Love that engraving/pierced side lever

View attachment 522528

Well done !!!

I have questions on a Red Dot Scopes for a 470NE Double. Presently I have a Leopold VX 1.5x5 scope which I wish to replace ( Excellent Condition). My question is I like to think of myself as sorta a purist with doubles. I wish for a Red dot scope for longer distances but also would like to see above the Red Dot scope for close encounters. I am wanting a compact small scope that will do the job at longer distances.
I am interested to know what people would recommend and why.

I have questions on a Red Dot Scopes for a 470NE Double. Presently I have a Leopold VX 1.5x5 scope which I wish to replace ( Excellent Condition). My question is I like to think of myself as sorta a purist with doubles. I wish for a Red dot scope for longer distances but also would like to see above the Red Dot scope for close encounters. I am wanting a compact small scope that will do the job at longer distances.
I am interested to know what people would recommend and why.
What "longer distance" are you thinking of for a .470 NE? I can't think of any DG shots one would take at "longer distances".

Up to 100 yds max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.