Red Dot & RMR Sights For Dangerous Game Rifles

That’s not a QD mount as I would describe one. THat one Does have two screw holes in it. I wouldn’t attach that to a double. I’d use the one on the Heym website:

View attachment 517220

No, the Henneberger rail mount is not QD, but you can remove it with with an allen key in a minute or two.

No, the Henneberger rail mount is not QD, but you can remove it with with an allen key in a minute or two.

That’s right, you’ve jogged my memory. If anyone is searching for one, I have a Henneberger RMR mount for a Heym. It came with my son’s Luxus 26 Heym and we never used it. (A 1-4x sits on that gun now)

The major advantage of the set up I used was ultra low profile.

What these need are talley style levers, or better yet, Warne style levers. If someone could figure that out, they’d have a very versatile sight that gets it low to the rib like no other.

Hi Rookhawk & Kevin,

I have looked at both and I agree with both of you to a point. There is no doubt that I like the low profile mount like Kevin had fitted, but I sure wish it was quick detachable levers. I would think that it would be possible to make a cam styled lever with the lever closing & opening in the horizontal position instead of rotating. Pull out it releases push in it locks. It would probably have to be able to rotate a few turns to offset wear. I think a good gunsmith could develop something like that.

Lon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.13.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.13.17 AM.png
    640.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.13.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 8.13.19 AM.png
    647.1 KB · Views: 54
I have and use a number of reflex and red dots. I love them but please remember they are affected by parallax. The likely change from bench zero to sticks is your cheek weld change. Keep the dot well centered in the lens.

For the Blaser guys out there @TOBY458 discovered and shared with me the RM60
I have purchased one and mounted an RMR and as soon as it dries up around here I am goimg to get out and put it through its paces. It looks very promisisng
20230215_113034.jpg
20230215_113039.jpg
20230215_113046.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.14 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.14 AM Large.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.16 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.16 AM Large.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 56
As has already been mentioned, this mount if you have a double with the Recnagel scope mount like Kreighoff uses, works excellent. I have this exact mount on my K-gun in 470 and I have a good bit of rounds fired under it and there has been no shift in zero. It has held tight and is easily removable. It clamps right onto the rear part of the scope mount. The rim of a 470 cartridge fits perfectly in the slot to tighten or remove it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.52 AM.png
    813.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 7.25.54 AM.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 55
I have and use a number of reflex and red dots. I love them but please remember they are affected by parallax. The likely change from bench zero to sticks is your cheek weld change. Keep the dot well centered in the lens.
isnt that one of the reasons for a red dot.....as long as the dot is on the target no matter if its centered or not it is on target.....bob

isnt that one of the reasons for a red dot.....as long as the dot is on the target no matter if its centered or not it is on target.....bob

What you see is what you get, even if looking through an RMR diagonal and cockeyed.

That is my whole point about working hard to get a mount that complements your fit to the rifle, especially a double. When you mount a double rifle, with a good cheek weld and open your eye the sights should be central and bead on. Same with a red dot. What sense is there in having to jiggle your head around to find the dot, especially if that necessitates lifting your head? I have done a fair bit of experimenting with a few mounts and the ultra low one I showed rarlier naturally fitted, the high one shown below was a waste of time.

That is my whole point about working hard to get a mount that complements your fit to the rifle, especially a double. When you mount a double rifle, with a good cheek weld and open your eye the sights should be central and bead on. Same with a red dot. What sense is there in having to jiggle your head around to find the dot, especially if that necessitates lifting your head? I have done a fair bit of experimenting with a few mounts and the ultra low one I showed rarlier naturally fitted, the high one shown below was a waste of time.
AEAD2170-0E9B-41DA-95C5-B5EF3E683509.jpeg

Kevin, this is why I'm a big fan of the newer pivot mounts. First install is a quality glass optic where the front foot is in a pivot ahead of the action, in the quarter rib. (doubles or magazine rifle) Because that front pivot is below the sight line of the rifle, an RMR pivot mount puts that dot right in line with the iron sights.

Obviously this is a perfect world scenario when you're building a new gun, but it is the best solution for multiple optics on the same gun. (RMR/SCOPE/IRONS)

Your RMR install for a gun with no scope intentions is one of the best I've seen thus far.

On my double for the irons I need my cheek bone welded firmly to the stock, which for me is pretty much ideal, giving you a repeatable anchor point. With the red dot I would say I raise my head about 1/2" and the dot is centered. I can see the front sight through sight but not the rear sight. It is not so much of a difference as to cause me to really have to adjust especially if I practice mounting the rifle with the sight On It and keeping both eyes open. However, that may be an easier transition for me due to having an extensive amount of trigger time with other weapons that have that same type of sight.
20230216_105427.jpg
20230216_105446.jpg

It would be perfect if it was just a touch lower and you could fully co-witness the irons through it like I can with the mount on the Blaser, but it works pretty well as is.

@bob meadows, Look up Green Eye Tactical paper titled “Comparative Study of Red Dot Sight Parallax” it’s a well done test and explanation. There are a number of other articles out there if you Google Parallax and red dot. As with any sight proper check weld and making sure your eye is positioned behind the reticle or dot at exactly the same place eliminates this issue.
Ed

Thanks, great information

It would be perfect if it was just a touch lower and you could fully co-witness the irons through it like I can with the mount on the Blaser, but it works pretty well as is.
What do you replace the removable block in the Krieghoff rib with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildwillalaska

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.