Random Memories

Random memories? You got it.

Trees knocked down across two track roads. Zimbabwe and Mozambique. I will never be convinced elephants don't do it on purpose :)
IMG_0085 2.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0144 2.JPG

P1050426 copy.jpg

Old bull in Zimbabwe with small, broken teeth but an absolute monster!
bull ele crop.png

Golden Giraffe Botswana
golden giraffe Kalahari 2 copy 2.jpg

"Monkey boat" Kvichak River near Igiugig AK
Igiugig boat copy.jpg

Poacher's guns Mozambique
poacher's guns    copy.jpg

Last edited:
I have a handful of favorite sunrise spots. This is one.

P1010195.JPG

A pretty rainbow, right? The backstory: we were halfway into an 8 mile tracking job on a wildebeest I hit. Moments before that rainbow, a heavy rain was washing away the blood trail. We went through thick crap that we had to crawl through, literally, and it was steep enough in parts I had trouble standing up. The following morning, against all odds, we found the wildebeest and I finished him. Tracking is a superpower of PH Don Laaks. Ditto unbridled optimism.

P1010302.JPG

We spent an afternoon lunch exploring an old sheep farm. I like history and I am very much about stopping to smell the roses... and see the oddball sights. Hunting is never just about hunting. Anyway, based on the exterior and also the insides of this house, I can only imagine the grandeur it held, when once it was new, the the pride and joy of its owners.

P1010378.jpg

I stood there wondering how many holidays and birthdays were held in this room. Were there ever Christmas stockings above the fire place? How many happy times and sad times - how many laughs and tears? How many serious discussions and decisions were made? And when did someone stand in this room for a last time, as a home, before it ceased to be a home anymore. Now? Far off travelers like me skulking around hunting gemsbok and warthogs and such. Time is a funny thing, and we have so very little of it. Stuff like this makes me think of the time lapse sequences from George Pal's The Time Machine. OK... I'll table the historical philosophizing...

P1010381.jpg

Nature starting to reclaim a small part of the house...

P1010372.jpg

Attachments

• P1010381.jpg
    P1010381.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • P1010195.JPG
    P1010195.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
I stood there wondering how many holidays and birthdays were held in this room. Were there ever Christmas stockings above the fire place? How many happy times and sad times - how many laughs and tears? How many serious discussions and decisions were made? And when did someone stand in this room for a last time, as a home, before it ceased to be a home anymore. Now? Far off travelers like me skulking around hunting gemsbok and warthogs and such. Time is a funny thing, and we have so very little of it.
I get this feeling whenever I see an old farm house, rotting and falling over. When I think of the effort, love and determination it took build it. And now, just a heap. Time is a weird thing

I get this feeling whenever I see an old farm house, rotting and falling over. When I think of the effort, love and determination it took build it. And now, just a heap. Time is a weird thing

Meeeee tooooo. There are plenty of those around my home state of KS. This one, shared today, just happens to be on the Eastern Cape.

When I saw the title Random Memories I thought of this recent find. My mother had given this box to my daughter when she was a little girl. Twenty years later she found it in her dresser and shared.

The box and trinkets were my dads Christmas present to my future mother during WWII from New Guinea.
9FD88B9F-DFD3-4BF5-8F74-CE5394D9C50F.jpeg
071134D5-D438-49C1-941E-3DA633104D82.jpeg
730D0BE6-4E0F-4AFE-A4F9-EDD01D227DC0.jpeg

Central Kalahari Botswana kudu,
Zimbabwe curious ele boy,
Limpopo RSA 'bet you can't see me giraffe',
Mindanao carabao... I got out of the vehicle and gave him the Crocodile Dundee stare down and he moved :)

Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 4.19.40 PM.png

P1050346.JPG

P1040632.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

Last edited:
@Tucketed 's post reminded me. Let there be no doubt, here is a cross section of the greatest generation. My dad is in this pic. They are training for night bombing and possibly to drop another "big one". Two were enough

P1040351 2.jpg

Last edited:
Pair of sandhill cranes showed up in the wheat field behind the house, poor picture taken at about 100yds with my phone.

E3CC794D-C6CE-46CD-8E95-8BDFC8ABB0CE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Thom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.