Quality vs Costs - Your African Safari

What is more important to you in deciding on a safari destination?

• Above Average Trophy Quality and Quality Accommodation at Higher Rates

• Average Trophy Quality with Comfortable Accommodations at Lower Rates

• Above Average Trophy Quality And Normal Accommodation at Slightly Higher Rates

Results are only viewable after voting.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Dear AH members,
This last week I have been pondering about something, and wish to put it out there to obtain your opinion. I wish to start this debate and although at first, it might seem like we've covered this before, I need you to read carefully before voting, as it is not quite what we've covered.

I wish to start this poll and get your opinion on what is more important to you as a hunter, shopping for a safari, whether as a first timer, or as a seasoned hunter. I have only included two options, because I purposefully do not want to create a grey area.

I fully understand and agree that the actual hunting experience, as well as the size of the hunting area, the type of terrain, the connection with your PH, the quality and experience of your PH and personalities all plays a massive part in your decision. For this exercise, all things mentioned above will be equal.

I'm sure that there will be comments about it being a combination etc. FOR THIS EXERCISE, ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL.

Please feel free to comment, should you wish.

Here we go.

Dear AH members,
This last week I have been pondering about something, and wish to put it out there to obtain your opinion. I wish to start this debate and although at first, it might seem like we've covered this before, I need you to read carefully before voting, as it is not quite what we've covered.

I wish to start this poll and get your opinion on what is more important to you as a hunter, shopping for a safari, whether as a first timer, or as a seasoned hunter. I have only included two options, because I purposefully do not want to create a grey area.

I fully understand and agree that the actual hunting experience, as well as the size of the hunting area, the type of terrain, the connection with your PH, the quality and experience of your PH and personalities all plays a massive part in your decision. For this exercise, all things mentioned above will be equal.

I'm sure that there will be comments about it being a combination etc. FOR THIS EXERCISE, ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL.

Please feel free to comment, should you wish.

Here we go.
Quality

A step above...voted

Above average quality -possible higher rates is my vote

Last edited:
Marius,
I didn't vote as it just depends with each safari.

If I am taking my wife, I want the best accommodations. Trophy size not as important as the memory.
If I am going by myself, I want very basic accommodations and want to hunt from sun up to sun down. I'd generally enjoy a better trophy size, but also have fun just hunting culls.

One of the hunts that really intrigues me is the black powder hunts, camping in period tents, setting out on foot, all the while dressing in period clothing. Love that thought.

Just my thoughts

Randy

Guess which way I voted.
I know there is not a third option: Above average trophies and sleep on the ground!

Just because its expensive dosent mean its best. some of my most memorable have been on a budget.
markcz

I voted for higher quality, but as always there are exceptions.... Budget being the main consideration for me and sometimes making me take the "lesser" area.

My elephant hunt is the perfect example. It was no doubt a value hunt and the 32/33 pound bull was a fine bull, in that situation. I would have loved to have "upgraded" that hunt to a better area and could have, but my budget kept me from doing it.

So what I really like, is having the option to upgrade an area. Such as, we can hunt area A where the average kudu is 49 inches, or you can pay X more and hunt area B where the average kudu is 54 inches. I won't pay by the inch on a per animal basis, but I will pay more for a better area that increases my odds of a superior trophy, if budget allows.

To me average quality doesn't mean poor quality. I would rather hunt average properties at low prices, there's still always a chance at a great animal. My wife and I don't need fancy accommodations and pampering, we're there for the adventure and experience.

I've never looked at accommodation pics for any trip booked ever, not at all important.

Most companies who are consistently producing the trip I'm after.......good quality trophies, good areas with fair chase terrain, good guides......typically have good places to stay with decent food because they put it all together as a business.

My vote was for the second one. Not really that concerned with super nice accommodations. Comfortable accommodations are fine by me. But figuring if I worked hard/hunted hard might be able to get an above average animal or two at this type of camp.

What's average? I want minimum SCI book animals (Bronze, of course would prefer Gold). Those are going to make a great representative trophy for the wall. I would prefer Rowland Ward animals, those are going to make a great animal on the wall, and are generally the oldest.

Tough choice, for me it's more about the experience. I just like to hunt.

For me it is not trophy size or 5 star accommodations as much as just having the whole African experience. My upcoming hunt with Marius will be my first African hunt or hunt outside the US. I'm fine with the second choice.

You have made a great choice and definitely will not be disappointed
For me it is not trophy size or 5 star accommodations as much as just having the whole African experience. My upcoming hunt with Marius will be my first African hunt or hunt outside the US. I'm fine with the second choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross