Projectiles

Bert Reynolds

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m looking for a replacement for woodleigh projectiles. Currently I have loads worked up in my 9.3x62 and my 450/400. But I have a 404 Jeffery and an 8x68 with a gunsmith being built for. My first safari and for Australian buff. I have some Bertram projectiles, but these are basic cup and core. What are peoples thoughts on swift 400 grain A frames or TSX for the 404, and 200 TSX or 220 a frame for the 8x68?

Can’t go wrong with either, but Swift A-Frames are my preference

I’m looking for a replacement for woodleigh projectiles. Currently I have loads worked up in my 9.3x62 and my 450/400. But I have a 404 Jeffery and an 8x68 with a gunsmith being built for. My first safari and for Australian buff. I have some Bertram projectiles, but these are basic cup and core. What are peoples thoughts on swift 400 grain A frames or TSX for the 404, and 200 TSX or 220 a frame for the 8x68?
Having used Swift A-Frames on numerous hunts, they are my first choice. Excellent performance. TSX's are my 2nd choice if A-Frames not available. Either one are a very good choice.

Bert, Von Gruff gave me his Accuracy Load for the 404 Jeffery. He used 400 Gr. Woodleigh PP which I couldn't get at the time. I substituted a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame and am totally satisfied / happy with the results. I've given this recipe to a number of AH members, and all have gotten the same results. Both of my 404(s) shoot sub MOA. at 2300 FPS.

Last edited:
Bert, here are some photos of the 400 Gr. Swift A Frame that I used to drop a large Eland in his tracks.

1650487540520.png
1650487805728.png

My go to bullet for .411 and .458 calibers is always a North Fork. Next in line would be a Woodleigh.
I am currently experimenting with NF .458 350 SS and so far accuracy is excellent and the one animal shot at 100 yards with my .458 DR was a one shot kill -- bullet not recovered as with most NF shots, a shoot through. More to come as more critters are taken. The DR and I are still getting used to one another.

Rhino soft points, North Fork soft points, Swift A-Frames, TSXs, TBBCs all perform similarly. IMO, this group is at top of the heap of tough, soft point, expanding bullets for heavy/dangerous game. Also, IMO, most all the rest advertised for such heavy game, are a notch below or lower.

Last edited:
I have been trying the Atomic 29 projectiles. They are a monolithic copper bullet, similar to the Barnes but mushroom without the petals. Trying to recover a bullet is very difficult due to there penetration. Below is a 250 gr Atomic that was recovered after lining up two large hogs. Both dropped instantly . The bullet smashed both shoulders of the first pig entering the shoulder of the second pig traveling up through the neck and coming to rest under the skin behind the ear. Perfect straight line penetration.
D97D53D8-87E9-4E61-B9AC-B6020B5FB516.jpeg

I have been trying the Atomic 29 projectiles. They are a monolithic copper bullet, similar to the Barnes but mushroom without the petals. Trying to recover a bullet is very difficult due to there penetration. Below is a 250 gr Atomic that was recovered after lining up two large hogs. Both dropped instantly . The bullet smashed both shoulders of the first pig entering the shoulder of the second pig traveling up through the neck and coming to rest under the skin behind the ear. Perfect straight line penetration.View attachment 492064
Just ordered some 155s for my 300 weatherby to try on sambar. They are a good price!

The 155 gr Atomic shot very well in my 300 Weatherby. 88 grs of Rel 22 gave 3391 fps. I don’t think you need to the 175 grs but would also be great choice.

The 155 gr Atomic shot very well in my 300 Weatherby. 88 grs of Rel 22 gave 3391 fps. I don’t think you need to the 175 grs but would also be great choice.
I had some 180 grain E tips, but they didn’t shoot great. Velocity was a little lacking too. 180 accubonds shot ok. From what I’ve read you can go a bit lighter in the all copper bullets.

Bert
I would give the Atomic 29’s a go
They make a 175 gr in 8 mm and a 360 gr for the 404. The picture of the recovered bullet from the two pigs is a 250 gr 9.3.
I had a 8x68 years ago and shot most Alaskan game and plains game in Africa with it , another European cartridge that’s a great Al rounder.
Ken

I have been trying the Atomic 29 projectiles. They are a monolithic copper bullet, similar to the Barnes but mushroom without the petals. Trying to recover a bullet is very difficult due to there penetration. Below is a 250 gr Atomic that was recovered after lining up two large hogs. Both dropped instantly . The bullet smashed both shoulders of the first pig entering the shoulder of the second pig traveling up through the neck and coming to rest under the skin behind the ear. Perfect straight line penetration.View attachment 492064
@K95
I have still got to try the 225gn Atomic 29s in my Whelen. Hope they perform as well. I was thinking of trying them on my scrub bull hunt but have worked up some potent loads with the 275gn PPSP and 310gn SPRN Woodleighs. The Atomic 29 looks like it would work a treat as well.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross