Project Goal: Ruger No1 in 460WBY for Speer AGS Tungsten Solids

Bob,
A sub-seven-pounds .470 NE Ruger No. 1 with 20" barrel would be the rifle I would take to shoot an elephant in my pajamas, though what an elephant would be doing in my pajamas I do not know.

Bob,
A sub-seven-pounds .470 NE Ruger No. 1 with 20" barrel would be the rifle I would take to shoot an elephant in my pajamas, though what an elephant would be doing in my pajamas I do not know.
@Riflecrank
If the elephant is in your pyjamas it's either a small elephant or you are a very big man.
Take your pick
Bob

I love the idea of a No1 in 460 Weatherby So can I assume if a 458 Lott can be turned into the 460 that a 458 Win Mag can as well? They're much easier to find than a Lott is and is the same cartridge just a bit shorter yes?

Forest why you gotta laugh at me bro? Trying to hurt my feelgoods? I can't help it some of us have more psychological issues than others, do yall think "cartridge attraction" is a thing? I love the 416 Rigby cartridge and all those that are built from it I think. Then ole Roy took that brass, beefed it up belted it and added those curvy rounded shoulders and man what a fine looking piece of brass that is!! Lol

Forest why you gotta laugh at me bro? Trying to hurt my feelgoods? I can't help it some of us have more psychological issues than others, do yall think "cartridge attraction" is a thing? I love the 416 Rigby cartridge and all those that are built from it I think. Then ole Roy took that brass, beefed it up belted it and added those curvy rounded shoulders and man what a fine looking piece of brass that is!! Lol
@Axle2010 I figured you were being cheeky with our good forum mate @Riflecrank around. Now I'm certain you're plumb crazy. Well you're in the right place for that.

@Axle2010
You have to forgive @Forrest Halley he wouldn't know a sexy bit of brass if'n it bit him in the arse.
Dang the poor man owns a 243 and actually uses it so have pity on him. He is young but there's hope for him yet
Bob

"We're all a little crazy." -- The Joker
If the object is to shoot a 0.458” 500 grain bullet at 2400 FPS MV by rechambering a 458 Lott Ruger No. 1, an easy method is to rechamber to 460 G&A. That is a 404 Jeffery case slightly shortened and necked to take 0.458” bullets. The 450 Rigby route already mentioned will do the same, but it can certainly be loaded up to get very close to 460 Wby MVs if punching holes through mopane trees on the other side of dead elephants is the goal.

The advantage of the G&A is that it will achieve the MV specified with a powder charge 10-12 grains less than the Wby or Rigby. That equates to about 10 lbs-ft less recoil in a 10.5 lb rifle.

BTW a 500 NE 3” in a No. 1 takes some work but is doable. About 11.7 lbs is about right rifle weight to keep the recoil on the right side of 90 lbs-ft with a 570 grain bullet in the 2150 FPS MV range.

I love the idea of a No1 in 460 Weatherby So can I assume if a 458 Lott can be turned into the 460 that a 458 Win Mag can as well? They're much easier to find than a Lott is and is the same cartridge just a bit shorter yes?
Yes, of course a 460 WbyMag could be made from the more common .458 WinMag Ruger No. 1,
but what a bummer to alter a .458 WinMag instead of ridding the earth of another .458 Loser,
the SAAMI .458 Lott !

Again, I say, the only problem with a simple re-chamber is to make sure the rifle did not have the top of the chamber drilled on Monday morning or Friday afternoon at the Ruger No. 1 factory:

2665 - FuAv4lH.jpg
2668 - 91uAvXd.jpg

That one was called ".45-100-2.6-Inch Sharps Winchester Throated" when I thought I had invented something new.
Then I discovered it was actually a ".45-70 Elko Magnum" exactly.
Homologated by CIP in 1992 IIRC.

Last edited:
1608 - 6HuL7hl.jpg
1609 - Lbi1rAx.jpg
1584 - LsdunYT.jpg

If planning on doing a 460 WbyMag by simply re-chambering a stainless/laminate .458 Lott:
Bravo ! One less SAAMI .458 Lott in this world !
The brass pins (added by Gunsmith) behind the tang may or may not prevent laminate buttstock splitting.
More important is to make sure there is relief at tang and a skim-bedding with epoxy between the buttstock and rear action shoulders.

z001.jpg
2209 - brBuJXw.png
100_1589.jpg
100_1586_zps66b3269b.jpg
000.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, if you just want to shoot 500-grainers at 2400 fps, the common Ruger No. SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum will do that by using NON-SAAMI ammo called .458 WM+ loads,
longer COL and/or pressure greater than the SAAMI governor settings.
Daisy-7660-000.JPG

Above is my 1980 vintage Ruger No. 1-H .458 WinMag, found very little used at local emporium, long after I had traded off my first one bought new-in-box in 1984.
I put aside her pretty wood and used my last B&C fiberglass stock on her.
B&C quit making those.

Daisy-7660-00.JPG

LabRadar reported Daisy to beat 2400 fps with a 500-gr Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid loaded to 3.550" COL, W-W Super brass, F215 primer, 80*F, 24" barrel: 2408 fps
450-gr TSX at 3.570" COL: 2459 fps
Same rifle, same powder charge, same day for both.

Daisy-7660-0.JPG

If you want to do it better for the bigger cartridge cases, get a custom barrel with a long cylinder barrel shank and mount a Picatinny rail using shallow 8x40 screw holes and J-B Weld:

View attachment 591944

View attachment 591945

View attachment 591946View attachment 591947View attachment 591948View attachment 591949
Would the shallow holes hold a dg type scope under the heavy recoil? I think I'd prefer to have a custom barrel anyway, maybe a bit heavier one too take the beast a bit...

Would the shallow holes hold a dg type scope under the heavy recoil? I think I'd prefer to have a custom barrel anyway, maybe a bit heavier one too take the beast a bit...
They have to, when you have to drill holes over the chamber.
Mine have worked.
4 threads deep and use J-B Weld as thread locker on at least 6 of the 8x40 screws.
As far muzzleward of chamber as possible, with rear part of Picatinny attached by J-B Weld only but
entire rail length glued with J-B Weld, ditto if using factory quarter rib.
Maybe a barrel band or partially circumferential band for mounting the rail onto could be fabricated so as not to interfere with forearm hanger ?

Speaking of which, besides having factory quarter ribs loosen due to recoil with modest scope attached,
I have had the forearm hanger screw strip and bend from a tight hold on forearm and recoil torque.
I fixed that too. The factory screw has 10x32 tpi on end of it and a skinny smooth section that passes through the steel escutcheon embedded in forearm:
zzz002.JPG

Above screw is seated in escutcheon, below the loosened screw retracted as far as possible, threads stop on escutcheon.
Looks like previous owner slipped with screwdriver and made some dents in the wood around hole in wood, not cracks:
zzz001.JPG

Below, the threaded end of screw loosely pushed into escutcheon hole, seen from inside the forearm
where the hanger beds:

zzz003.JPG

A fully threaded screw looks more robust than the wasp-waisted one from factory.
I made another escutcheon and a 5x32tpi X 1" socket head screw (many choices, blacked or stainless,
hex head socket or slotted/phillips/etc.)
to beef up te attachment of a B&C synthetic stock:

zzz004.JPG

zzz005.JPG

zzz006.JPG

zz015.JPG

zzz007.JPG

5270-1.JPG
5270-2.JPG

Last edited:
I know a guy who cracked his walnut stock on a Ruger No. 1 .458 WinMag, shooting .458 WM+ loads of course.
I think a 460 Ruger No. 1 ought to have its stock glass bedded whether walnut, laminate, or synthetic:

zzz008.JPG
zzz009.JPG
zzz010.JPG
zzz011.JPG
zzz012.JPG

Yes that quarter rib is attached with usual screws and studs plus J-B Weld.
After hardening, stock was removed and edges cleaned up with careful, light sanding.
A black Sharpie marker was used to blacken any gray J-B Weld epoxy showing.
A W-W Super case head was embedded on forend tip and covered with clear epoxy:
Just what the Doctor ordered to whoop a SAAMI .458 Loser/Lott.

zzz013.JPG

The ideal Ruger No. 1 would have an integral quarter rib like on the old M77 MKII Magnum RSM.
If somebody will send me a take-off barrel from a .458 Lott Gen-3 RSM I will happily turn it into a 460 WbyMag,
even if the barrel is a little short and light for such a powerful rifle.
The .458 Lott was only available near the end of production, Gen-3, with 23" barrel and ~0.750" muzzle diameter.
Might be better to use a Gen-1 or Gen-2 .416 Rigby with the fat, 24" barrel ~0.810" at the muzzle,
and have it rebored to .458-caliber.
No muzzle brake, I promise.

Sir, I resemble that remark, thank you.
Yep, some of us are not so prissy about a barrel stamping.
This is my all-time favorite bubba-ed barrel stamp, and the Artiste even signed his name.
But the best part is the "XXX" over the "LOTT":

zzzz001.JPG
zzzz002.jpg
zzzz003.JPG
zzzz004.JPG

The 450 NE 3-1/4" Thin Rim reamer cleaned up that .458 Loser chamber slick as greased owl poop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictoriaKi

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25