Project Goal: Ruger No1 in 460WBY for Speer AGS Tungsten Solids

And I say again that I have a Ruger No.1 that is chambered for .460 WbyMag necked up to .510-caliber, a .500 A-Square.
But I had the throat lengthened to seat the 750-grain Hornady A-Max bullets out to a COL of 4.75", so I call it the .510 JAB.
A modest load with 750-grainer at 2150 fps from a heavy 27" barrel lands on target at 942 yards with a 5-mil holdover.
That cow pasture shooting was from a sit with a tall bipod.
No weakening of the action with that, aye.
With custom barrel no drilling into the chamber to mount a quarter rib either.

With a simple re-chambering of a .458 Lott
there may be weakening of the chamber since the studs and screws holding onto the quarter rib
have their holes drilled right over the chamber.
Better to get the custom barrel and have your gunsmith use a quarter rib or longer Picatinny rail with solder or J-B Weld over the chamber and any screws farther forward on the barrel.
Get that custom barrel made with the shank cylinder lengthened to 6" or more long for a level mounting of rib/rail.
That is what I did.

You can find videos on the internet of Bubba shooting his .460 WbyMag Ruger No. 1 that
was made by a simple re-chambering of a factory .458 WinMag or .458 Lott.
Good for a few stunt shots on a video.
You never know when the quarter rib might blow off the top of the barrel.

Any Ruger No. 1 re-chambering requires pulling off the quarter rib and measuring the depth of the holes over the chamber area.
Then subtract that depth as well as 1/2 of the chamber diameter from 1/2 of the barrel diameter at that point, to see how many thou of steel remain to plug that chamber gas port.

I have had the quarter rib loosen on a factory .475 Linebaugh Ruger No.1.
After that I prophylactically J-B Weld the quarter ribs on any Ruger No. 1 that kicks a little.
Ok, you de man, you win the dick measuring contest.

@adamsredlines I see that you are quite new to AH...............Welcome. You will fit right in here. The best reason to do a project with regard to hunting or shooting is simply because you want to. there is no other good or needed justification. Still, there are several unwritten rules on AH: 1. Never praise a .243, ...2. never own a push feed bolt, and 3. Never criticize a 458 Lott. Despite those rules, I wish you the best of luck with your project, even if it crosses the red line.............FWB

And I say again that I have a Ruger No.1 that is chambered for .460 WbyMag necked up to .510-caliber, a .500 A-Square.
But I had the throat lengthened to seat the 750-grain Hornady A-Max bullets out to a COL of 4.75", so I call it the .510 JAB.
A modest load with 750-grainer at 2150 fps from a heavy 27" barrel lands on target at 942 yards with a 5-mil holdover.
That cow pasture shooting was from a sit with a tall bipod.
No weakening of the action with that, aye.
With custom barrel no drilling into the chamber to mount a quarter rib either.

With a simple re-chambering of a .458 Lott
there may be weakening of the chamber since the studs and screws holding onto the quarter rib
have their holes drilled right over the chamber.
Better to get the custom barrel and have your gunsmith use a quarter rib or longer Picatinny rail with solder or J-B Weld over the chamber and any screws farther forward on the barrel.
Get that custom barrel made with the shank cylinder lengthened to 6" or more long for a level mounting of rib/rail.
That is what I did.

You can find videos on the internet of Bubba shooting his .460 WbyMag Ruger No. 1 that
was made by a simple re-chambering of a factory .458 WinMag or .458 Lott.
Good for a few stunt shots on a video.
You never know when the quarter rib might blow off the top of the barrel.

Any Ruger No. 1 re-chambering requires pulling off the quarter rib and measuring the depth of the holes over the chamber area.
Then subtract that depth as well as 1/2 of the chamber diameter from 1/2 of the barrel diameter at that point, to see how many thou of steel remain to plug that chamber gas port.

I have had the quarter rib loosen on a factory .475 Linebaugh Ruger No.1.
After that I prophylactically J-B Weld the quarter ribs on any Ruger No. 1 that kicks a little.
I’m pretty sure the coast guard uses that same round.

If you're going to do this, at least do it in 450 Rigby. Since the 416 Rigby has been chambered in the No 1, the 450 would be an easy conversion. Of course, the 460 wby is essentially the 450 Rigby with a belt, but the Rigby chambering would just seem more well suited for the classic Ruger No1.

If you're going to do this, at least do it in 450 Rigby. Since the 416 Rigby has been chambered in the No 1, the 450 would be an easy conversion. Of course, the 460 wby is essentially the 450 Rigby with a belt, but the Rigby chambering would just seem more well suited for the classic Ruger No1.
Oh my God, the base of a 450 Rigby is larger than a 460 Weatherby! How would this ever work. It will blow up.

OP needs to read my thread reminiscing about the wonderful adventures of enduring multiple retina detachments surgeries. Where should I start. Back in August 2003 I finally arrive by plane in Winnipeg essentially moments before the FIRST detachment reached the macula = permanently blind in that eye. Lebanese cab driver blew red lights getting me to Misercordia Hospital where a gurney was waiting at the curb. No time to change me into a gown. They operated on me in street clothes. After quickly anethetising half my face, the surgeon started to work. They had just pulled my eye from socket when I started flipping about. Restless leg syndrome in my half awake state. Surgeon accidentally tore a hole in my very thin schlera (eyeball). He repaired that, put a silicone buckle around the eyeball to squeeze it into compliant egg shape, drew some vitreous fluid from eyeball, and injected a bubble of nitrous oxide gas to hold the torn retina in place till it heals. No flight home because of gas bubble so I had to drive the eight hours in rental car. Second and third detachments were essentially the same with virectomies and buckle being readjusted. Third detachment was lower quadrant and the surgeon didn't expect to save that eye. But it worked ... sort of. I can see with it but much doesn't register readily due to retina scar tissue. Meantime I'm also dealing with multiple laser patch jobs to both eyes. This involves burning a torn spot in the retina to stop it from expanding into a detachment. Horribly painful. I remember one episode where the surgeon was having trouble angling the laser into my deep set eye. After fifteen minutes of cattle prod going off in my brain I couldn't take any more. He sent me into the hall for a break. I collapsed onto my tiny late wife and sobbed like a baby. And she sobbed. And all the old people sitting in the lobby waiting for their painless cataract laser surgery started sobbing! I endured at least a half dozen laser treatments for left eye and four maybe five for right eye. My life was filled with pain and anxiety for nearly a decade before my retinas finally "settled down." Needless to say I had to stop shooting. That was the worst part.

Some guys I know just have to shoot as big a cannon as they can ... usually to prove they are bigger and tougher than they really are. Don't risk your eyesight doing that, especially if you're a family person. I was lucky. Others are not so lucky. Some detachments happen very fast and in the wrong spot. Then there's almost no hope of surgery saving the eye. Those who are severely nearsighted are really rolling the dice shooting punishing recoil guns. Lasix will NOT fix the shape of your eyeball, only changes the lens. The eye is still vulnerable to detachments. Diabetics also need to be recoil conscious. Even guys like me with normal eyes can have it happen. EVERYONE needs to know the symptoms of retina tears or detachments. Fast action is imperative.

OP needs to read my thread reminiscing about the wonderful adventures of enduring multiple retina detachments surgeries. Where should I start. Back in August 2003 I finally arrive by plane in Winnipeg essentially moments before the FIRST detachment reached the macula = permanently blind in that eye. Lebanese cab driver blew red lights getting me to Misercordia Hospital where a gurney was waiting at the curb. No time to change me into a gown. They operated on me in street clothes. After quickly anethetising half my face, the surgeon started to work. They had just pulled my eye from socket when I started flipping about. Restless leg syndrome in my half awake state. Surgeon accidentally tore a hole in my very thin schlera (eyeball). He repaired that, put a silicone buckle around the eyeball to squeeze it into compliant egg shape, drew some vitreous fluid from eyeball, and injected a bubble of nitrous oxide gas to hold the torn retina in place till it heals. No flight home because of gas bubble so I had to drive the eight hours in rental car. Second and third detachments were essentially the same with virectomies and buckle being readjusted. Third detachment was lower quadrant and the surgeon didn't expect to save that eye. But it worked ... sort of. I can see with it but much doesn't register readily due to retina scar tissue. Meantime I'm also dealing with multiple laser patch jobs to both eyes. This involves burning a torn spot in the retina to stop it from expanding into a detachment. Horribly painful. I remember one episode where the surgeon was having trouble angling the laser into my deep set eye. After fifteen minutes of cattle prod going off in my brain I couldn't take any more. He sent me into the hall for a break. I collapsed onto my tiny late wife and sobbed like a baby. And she sobbed. And all the old people sitting in the lobby waiting for their painless cataract laser surgery started sobbing! I endured at least a half dozen laser treatments for left eye and four maybe five for right eye. My life was filled with pain and anxiety for nearly a decade before my retinas finally "settled down." Needless to say I had to stop shooting. That was the worst part.

Some guys I know just have to shoot as big a cannon as they can ... usually to prove they are bigger and tougher than they really are. Don't risk your eyesight doing that, especially if you're a family person. I was lucky. Others are not so lucky. Some detachments happen very fast and in the wrong spot. Then there's almost no hope of surgery saving the eye. Those who are severely nearsighted are really rolling the dice shooting punishing recoil guns. Lasix will NOT fix the shape of your eyeball, only changes the lens. The eye is still vulnerable to detachments. Diabetics also need to be recoil conscious. Even guys like me with normal eyes can have it happen. EVERYONE needs to know the symptoms of retina tears or detachments. Fast action is imperative.
This is a really an important message. Although I know next to nothing about detached retinas I was introduced via a friends experience who doesn't shoot heavy recoiling rifles any more, his love is black powder shotgun. It can happen to anyone.

Oh my God, the base of a 450 Rigby is larger than a 460 Weatherby! How would this ever work. It will blow up.
Incorrect. 450 Rigby is based off of the 416 Rigby case. 460 Wby is basically a 450 Rigby case with a belt. Ruger chambers the No 1 in 416 Rigby.

@adamsredlines I see that you are quite new to AH...............Welcome. You will fit right in here. The best reason to do a project with regard to hunting or shooting is simply because you want to. there is no other good or needed justification. Still, there are sevEeral unwritten rules on AH: 1. Never praise a .243, ...2. never own a push feed bolt, and 3. Never criticize a 458 Lott. Despite those rules, I wish you the best of luck with your project, even if it crosses the red line.............FWB
@flatwater bill
You forgot one or two rules mate
35 cal owners and above are regarded as cool
You are allowed to hang shit on 338WM owners as they have broad shoulders and diminished hearing due to recoil and noise. Eg @CoElkHunter.
Bob

@flatwater bill
You are allowed to hang shit on 338WM owners as they have broad shoulders and diminished hearing due to recoil and noise. Eg @CoElkHunter.
Bob
Bob, please don’t pick on us 338wm guys but I don’t hear very well. I also have more 35s than 338 wms.

@flatwater bill
Bob
At least their shoulders still work mate. Take the piss all you like, we'll be too busy enjoying the ballistic spectrum above .257 to hear your mosquito...moe-skeee-toe squeaks...:A Stirring::A Stirring::A Stirring::A Stirring:

A #1 converted to 460wby just sold on GB for $2800. The #1 in Lott (tropical) have gone for $1400-$2000 recently.

Purely financial perspective, if you can have the work done for less than $700, you lose nothing in terms of value (Depending what you into this rifle). Quite possibly, doing the conversion can actually increase the value.

It can be done, and if it's what you want to do, go for it. There was a gentleman named Avi (?) On youtube that had a few #1s in the heavy hitters. Good videos to watch first.
Rechambered rifles rarely increase in value over factory original... if you factor in the cost of work and auxiliary parts, etc... they almost always lose money. Not saying "don't do it." Just don't kid yourself that it is a money making proposition... "Just Cuz" is the best reason.

Rechambered rifles rarely increase in value over factory original... if you factor in the cost of work and auxiliary parts, etc... they almost always lose money. Not saying "don't do it." Just don't kid yourself that it is a money making proposition... "Just Cuz" is the best reason.
You may have missed my examples. A 460 weatherby #1 sold for almost $3k while a 458 Lott #1 sells for $1500-$2000. In this case, yes, it is likely to increase value as we have recent examples proving this in the last 4 weeks.

Not always, but for the OP and his project, yes. Big bore rechamber and rebarrels by competent smith's more frequently do increase value. Rebarrel and rework a CZ550 416 Rigby to 505 gibbs...$2k rifle into a $4k. If project cost and initial rifle investment are below sale cost, very little risk as these big bores move quick if under $5kish.

I have $1000 into my CZ 416 Rigby. I would best $1500 gets it to 505 Gibbs. $2500 invested for a rifle worth $4k+. Many factors to consider, but if just barrel and action work, it can be very reasonable and still come out with a wash or even make a profit.

Last edited:
You may have missed my examples. A 460 weatherby #1 sold for almost $3k while a 458 Lott #1 sells for $1500-$2000. In this case, yes, it is likely to increase value as we have recent examples proving this in the last 4 weeks.

Not always, but for the OP and his project, yes. Big bore rechamber and rebarrels by competent smith's more frequently do increase value. Rebarrel and rework a CZ550 416 Rigby to 550 gibbs...$2k rifle into a $4k. If project cost and initial rifle investment are below sale cost, very little risk as these big bores move quick if under $5kish
I saw your examples, and that is a rare case and a moronic buyer, more than four decades of mutilating OEM rifles with the latest whim has proven the financial insanity of "projects." We all find ways to justify to ourselves, and then to others, the crazy builds we pursue... using value for money as a reason does not hold water. Best to just say "Cuz I wanna" and get on with it... JME.

Reading through this thread I see a lot of questions regarding why would @adamsredlines want to do this conversion. Well, I'm here to share the answer.

Simply, he has been trying to hide this rifle away from me for years.

Yes, yes it's true. A few years ago I realized that he didn't like it at all, and out of the goodness of my heart I offered to take it off his hands. Once I think I offered to trade him a LCP and another time I even upped the offer to include a gift card to the Sizzler and yet he has just said no every step of the way!

So personally I can think of no explanation of it other than he wants to keep it away from me ;) ;)

I saw your examples, and that is a rare case and a moronic buyer, more than four decades of mutilating OEM rifles with the latest whim has proven the financial insanity of "projects." We all find ways to justify to ourselves, and then to others, the crazy builds we pursue... using value for money as a reason does not hold water. Best to just say "Cuz I wanna" and get on with it.
So...every big bore built on an old.mauser action is moronic and mutilating? Lots of 404s, 458s, 500js, etc built from old service grade masters.

If you prefer OEM from a production line, no problem. However, many hunters prefer a more custom rifle and enjoy caliber oddities and obsoletes that require such custom worm.

So yes, it's 'cuz we wanna', some will never sell for what's into them, but there are some, as in this threads title, which would.

So...every big bore built on an old.mauser action is moronic and mutilating? Lots of 404s, 458s, 500js, etc built from old service grade masters.

If you prefer OEM from a production line, no problem. However, many hunters prefer a more custom rifle and enjoy caliber oddities and obsoletes that require such custom worm.

So yes, it's 'cuz we wanna', some will never sell for what's into them, but there are some, as in this threads title, which would.

Of course not, apples and oranges... I am not talking about taking sturdy old actions and building a beautiful custom rifle... I am talking about taking a highly desirable modern rifle and butchering it on a whim.

Of course not, apples and oranges... I am not talking about taking sturdy old actions and building a beautiful custom rifle... I am talking about taking a highly desirable modern rifle and butchering it on a whim.
Never been a fan of one telling someone what they shouldn't do with their rifle or property in general for that matter. OP wants to do a custom project, his prerogative. Recent sales points to it not necessarily being a bad investment.
Beauty is in the eye of beholder. You'll see on this site some prefer utilitarian synthetics stocks over high grade wood, to each their own.

Never been a fan of one telling someone what they shouldn't do with their rifle or property in general for that matter. OP wants to do a custom project, his prerogative. Recent sales points to it not necessarily being a bad investment.
Beauty is in the eye of beholder. You'll see on this site some prefer utilitarian synthetics stocks over high grade wood, to each their own.

As I said previously, go ahead and do what you want, and the OP as well... but you don't need to try to justify it on the basis of "financial investment." I do far more than my share of silly projects... lol.

Exhibit A; The 7.62X57 Hoytcanon

20210321_213635.jpg
20210127_094417.jpg
20200407_050753.jpg

I won't hesitate to warn others of the dangers of building a cannon on a lightweight rifle. I have plenty of experience with that "danger." Some may prefer jogging backwards in black pajamas on the freeway at night. Can be exciting and a challenge I'm sure. But ...

I took a military Mauser 98 and built it into a nice looking 404J. Might get the $2K I've sunk into the project if I sell. If I'd left it in its original military garb, sights, etc and simply rebarreled, opened the bolt, and tuned the feeding, it would still shoot buffalo just as dead. But if I posted it on GunBroker no one would buy it. Worthless. In my opinion turning a laminate stocked No 1 into an antitank gun would be a big time losing proposition from a resale standpoint. A select market  might be interested in something like that but I think most of those guys will save their pennies for a double rifle antitank gun. It would be a tough sell. But hey, if the OP wants to risk his eyesight and waste good money and a good gun in the process, why not? He can always say he accomplished something unique for the sake of it. I'm kinda like that sometimes. Now what did I do with those black pajamas?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R.ELLA-SWEDEN

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!