Professional Hunter Phil Smythe Mauled by Elephant?

An update as received from a WhatsApp chat of concerned fellow Hunters...
Screenshot_20201228-120517_WhatsApp.jpeg

Prayers. Wow, the photo of his family and the video touched me. My family will continue to pray for Phil everyday.

Anyone know where in the Save Valley Conservancy this happened?

Prayers sent for Phillip, his family and his medical team.

Hank the problem is over here insurance premiums are expensive...and I presume zim is same?.....so especially this year spending lots of dollars on insurance when lots of other things to be paid, and not knowing if there was going to be any hunting makes it a bit of a toss of the coin as to what to do......
I completely understand that money is tight at the best of times, and these are far from the best of times. Still, we need to be creative here.

Every hunter I know goes over to Africa with travel medical insurance and most also have medivac insurance. Maybe a surcharge on the cost of the hunt? I know many would refuse to pay (heck, many refuse to tip!), but many wouldn’t refuse a reasonable add on. I’m currently in Hawaii (Canada is a bit cold this time of year) and I bought a travel medical insurance policy this week for up to $5MM (US) for two people aged over 60 for $289 (21 days of coverage). I could have bought an “adventure sports rider” for not a lot more, but equally, PH’s are generally a lot younger and the cost of medical care in Africa is generally a lot lower (I think the cost of medical care anywhere is a lot lower than in the US).

I just have to believe that if you had a large enough group, someone like Lloyds would be prepared to carry a policy for a “reasonable” amount, regardless of where in the world you are.

The positives for such a policy would be that it would cover medical expenses, not disability or future earnings, that medical costs are, as I noted, far lower in Africa and that these types of incidents are relatively rare (thank God). The problem, of course, is that while the incidents may be rare, when they do happen, they can be devastating to the families involved.

When the oil and gas industry in North America found it difficult to get reasonably priced insurance, the industry thought outside of the box and we created our own insurance company (OIL Insurance - we may get marks for thinking outside of the box, but not necessarily for naming creativity).

Thoughts and prayers for his recovery and his family!

A benefit fund has been set up, which is selling a fantastic Botswana Buffalo Hunt, all proceeds going to Phils Medical expenses. Tickets are being sold at $250.00 each or six tickets for $1,000.00. I will ask my wife to post the complete information on this very worthy offer!

The above hunt is generously being donated by Chapungu-Kambako Safaris and Trophy Quest Botswana.

A little more info for everyone on this generous offer. AWCC has furthermore enhanced this donation by adding:
1x Economy return ticket from Atlanta to Johannesburg on Delta airlines and
1x Economy return ticket from Johannesburg to Kasane (airline TBC)

Only 150 tickets will be available.

My god ! Prayers
I seen the video . Phil seem really to be a very very good guy
Thoughts and prayers for his recovery , his family and the medical staff

Please read attachment

Attachments

• phil smythe.pdf
    505.3 KB · Views: 365
Update:
Good evening precious friends and family. Today has been a good day!

- We praise God that there are no problems with Phil's heart on any of the tests
- his lungs are improving and the internal bruising is healing.
- his kidneys have improved
- Phil had a high temperature after theatre yesterday. It is still high but has started to lower and the antibiotics should have made a significant difference in the next 48hrs
- there is a possible site of infection on his left shin (underneath his plaster so this will be removed and a back slab used instead) Please pray for this to be sorted soonest!
- Phil's blood pressure has been normal and steady today as his meds to stabilise his blood pressure have been lowered. This is really good news - it means his body is doing it mainly by itself! THANK YOU LORD! The meds have decreased significantly from 10-2
- Phil is coping well on the ventilator, with good oxygen saturation and needing less support from the ventilator. Phil is doing the breathing himself and the ventilator is just supporting him - he has improved significantly.

Essentially the doctors are saying he is still sick but his improvement is very pleasing. This is God - He is working in Phil’s body to have it this far already in this period of time.

Please keep on praying!

Can someone post where to buy the raffle tickets. I am not able to find the link.

I am copying this from another source. It seems his temperature has been at 40+ for over a day which isn't good.

Good morning,
Dr Gunning has phoned this morning. Phil’s temperature is still high (40.3) and seems to be growing. After much researching and talking with Dr Nyakatawa who also did research, have decided to treat for something called malignant hyperthermia, which almost always follows anesthetic that affects someone who is genetically susceptible. It’s is also possible it was caused by his poly trauma. They have agree to start the antidote today and it will not affect any of his other treatments. The only other thing it could possibly be are the interactions with the drugs he is on.
They will be doing a full spectrum of blood tests after 10 this morning (due to his blood transfusion yesterday).
Please pray for his temperature to come down.
Please thank God that it looks like it is not malaria again.
Please keep praying for the medical team and they do their best it care for Phil.

Latest udpate from Hope Works Facebook page:
"
UPDATE: 6:30pm GMT 30/12/2020
Special prayer warriors - tonight we are laying Phil at God’s feet. The doctors have done all they can do. The meds are at their maximum. There is nothing a human being can really do to help him. They will keep doing ice baths to help bring the temperature down.
Please pray that his temperature will come down and that his blood pressure will come up.
He is in God’s hands and we trust Him for His will over Phil’s life.
Your prayers tonight are much needed.
"

Latest udpate from Hope Works Facebook page:
"
UPDATE: 6:30pm GMT 30/12/2020
Special prayer warriors - tonight we are laying Phil at God’s feet. The doctors have done all they can do. The meds are at their maximum. There is nothing a human being can really do to help him. They will keep doing ice baths to help bring the temperature down.
Please pray that his temperature will come down and that his blood pressure will come up.
He is in God’s hands and we trust Him for His will over Phil’s life.
Your prayers tonight are much needed.
"
Will do!

My wife is a dear friend of Phil’s wife. We were just with Phil and his wife for 3 weeks staying in their home a couple years back. We just received a what’s app asking for his wife to go to the hospital. Please keep praying as the temperature is the big issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois