Professional Hunter Phil Smythe Mauled by Elephant?

Prayers going up!

The DSC Frontline board has approved funds for Phil. There is also a donate option in the top right of their page.

Many of us are more familiar with and trust DSC more than we do a fund raising page we know nothing about.

I have used the following link and it is as easy as buying your wife a Christmas present. ;)

Phillip is a young man with a young family and without insurance. There is a possibility that this is a life altering event. The medical bills will be enormous. If you can help, any amount would be appreciated.

This video gives a brief description regarding the DSC Frontline and people that have been helped in the past.

Thanks Wheels. This is very helpful - completely agree with you that many will be more comfortable with DSC than alternatives.

Thanks also to our moderators for cleaning up this thread. Well done @AfricaHunting.com and @BRICKBURN.

@Wheels, your post has got me thinking. We often (usually?) get these requests for donations when a PH is injured while hunting. I have nothing against that, but there must be a better way. You note that this young PH had no insurance. I understand that being a PH is not exactly a way to get rich, so it may be asking a lot to suggest that individual PH’s should carry disability or medical insurance. But is it too much for their industry association to provide/arrange a group policy, which members would buy into as part of their dues?

Many industry associations provide that kind of insurance and it would avoid the financial trauma superimposed on the physical trauma when a PH is injured. This should be possible - are there any members here with more knowledge of the insurance industry who could better inform me/us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wheels. This is very helpful - completely agree with you that many will be more comfortable with DSC than alternatives.
I also added the information from @Wheels to your initial post.

The DSC Frontline website donation option is very quick and easy. Thanks for posting and please keep us updated. If 2020 wasn't bad enough already, I can't imagine a family having to deal with this, and at Christmas time no less.

Thanks also to our moderators for cleaning up this thread. Well done @africahunting and @BRICKBURN.

@Wheels, your post has got me thinking. We often (usually?) get these requests for donations when a PH is injured while hunting. I have nothing against that, but there must be a better way. You note that this young PH had no insurance. I understand that being a PH is not exactly a way to get rich, so it may be asking a lot to suggest that individual PH’s should carry disability or medical insurance. But is it too much for their industry association to provide/arrange a group policy, which members would buy into as part of their dues?

Many industry associations provide that kind of insurance and it would avoid the financial trauma superimposed on the physical trauma when a PH is injured. This should be possible - are there any members here with more knowledge of the insurance industry who could better inform me/us?

It would be interesting to hear if group policies are available through industry associations. I don't know anything about that, but would be surprised if it hasn't been tried.

When you say, "being a PH is not exactly a way to get rich", you are probably hitting pretty close to the truth. Supply has remained high while demand waned for a number of years. Prices are falling and margins are gone. Until the industry has a shakeout, it will be difficult to have discretionary funds for insurance. (the virus/2020 may have been the shakeout event) When outfitters like Pasanisi and Friedkin can't make it work with the high end market, you have to wonder how the vast majority can do more than struggle to make ends meet.

Insurance for the industry would be great. Implementation might be difficult.

Here is some more news on Phil. Still trying to find out what happened.
44370EDE-2A55-4EB1-B6BF-9E972CB579C9.jpeg

Thanks for keeping us up to date Kevin.

In Jesus Christ's name.
Amen

Meet Phillip. Listen to the dialog starting at 3:20; it encapsulates Phil's ethics. He could have easily taken the easy and lazy way and ended the hunt right there, but I have a tremendous respect for his decision: passing the first buffalo and saying "let's give you a buffalo hunt." Phil clearly understands that the hunt itself is the essence of the experience, not the shot or even the trophy...

1609009741979.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.47.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 1.47.55 PM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 263
Last edited:
In Jesus Christ's name.
Amen

Meet Phillip. Listen to the dialog starting at 3:20; it encapsulates Phil's ethics. He could have easily taken the easy and lazy way and ended the hunt right there, but I have a tremendous respect for his decision: passing the first buffalo and saying "let's give you a buffalo hunt." Phil clearly understands that the hunt itself is the essence of the experience, not the shot or even the trophy...

View attachment 381248
Thanks for posting Pascal.

The more we participate in this business the harder it is to comprehend how these men persevere. The annual income is paltry. Throw in a year like 2020, and they are all scrambling to simply make it to '21. Many have families who worry about them and miss them for long weeks out of the year. They go afield every day wondering if their client will make a great or terrible shot at a truly dangerous animal. They are further burdened with game laws which make them guilty until proven innocent if they are presented with an aggressive animal or unprovoked charge. In the the decade and a bit that I have been hunting Africa, I have already personally known one PH killed by an elephant and another shot and maimed by his client.

Contributing, even a few dollars, to the DSC program is something we can all do. Our sincere prayers are hopefully of some value as well. This young man and is family are certainly in mine.

My thoughts are with Phillip and his family. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Firstly, most sincerest regards to the Smythe family for Phil's complete and rapid recovery. We are all praying and hoping for the very best.

Secondly, for the rest of us, this is the time to rally behind our brother and help as much as we can.
I can personally attest to the positive function of DCS Frontline as one of my best friends happens to be the only Australian featured in the Frontline video, after being badly gored by a buffalo in the same region where i used to work.

Frontline cannot undo the physical trauma these guys sustain, but they CAN and DO remove a lot of financial stress for the victim undergoing a long and painful recovery process. I would not like to imagine my good friend's fate had Frontline not stepped in with a generous hand.

These are the guys we rely on to stand by our shoulders, make us look good and keep us safe whilst putting their lives on the line, often in good faith for people they have never even met, all in the name that we may pursue our favored past time.

Please donate, if you can, and do so with the confidence in knowing that it is going where it is meant to go and that IT DOES WORK FOR THOSE THAT NEED IT.

Again, i wish my most sincerest regards to Phil for a complete recovery.

I believe Phil is undergoing surgery this morning. His back was broken in two places, one severed the spinal cord. I hope that news isnt accurate and if it is that they can repait it. This is the age of miraculous surgery, let us hope and pray.

AFRICAN WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COALITION IN CHAPUNGA-KAMBAKU SAFARIS IS DONATING A REALLY NICE BOTSWANA BUFF HUNT PACKAGE TO BE RAFFLED WITH ALL PROCEEDS GOING TO PHIL. I AM NOT SAVY ENOUGH TO LINK THE EMAIL BUT YOU CAN CONTACT THE AWCC SEC/TREASURER LARRY SHORES AT lshores@shorescpa.com TO GET THE INFO.

There are a couple of other items being raffled to benefit Phil. The info above to Mr Shores may get you to those also. If not they are posted on the other network.
Be as generous as you can in your donations. This is going to be a long and difficult recovery.
Bruce

Here's hoping for a full recovery! I'll be keeping him & his family in my prayers...

In Jesus Christ's name.
Amen

View attachment 381248

If you’ve not yet watched the video, please take the time. It very much puts a face and personality to the name and profession. It will make you want to help out in any way you can.
Young men such as Phillip are the future for us as hunters as we continue to live the dream that is hunting Africa. Helping him and his family through this is helping ourselves as well.
I am impressed by this young man’s attitude toward his profession.
Thank you @One Day... for posting it.

Thanks also to our moderators for cleaning up this thread. Well done @AfricaHunting.com and @BRICKBURN.

Hank the problem is over here insurance premiums are expensive...and I presume zim is same?.....so especially this year spending lots of dollars on insurance when lots of other things to be paid, and not knowing if there was going to be any hunting makes it a bit of a toss of the coin as to what to do......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross