Professional Hunter mauled by Lion

In that case I'm screwed indeed...

What I wouldn't do for my friends.....

Gents,

I must admit that I've not been as forthcoming with information regarding this incident as I could have been. It's a bit difficult to explain fully why, but it's a bit like when race car drivers are involved in particularly bad accidents on the track. They're willing to talk about it shortly afterwards but mostly they wish to move on. Jacques had to take these same clients out the next day afterwards for a 2nd lion. If you can imagine that after having seen his close friend mauled the previous day, he had to put that behind him and go right back out there. If he's got the day's previous events on his mind, well I don't think it's too hard to figure out that he's distracted and that's just not good for anyone involved in the hunt. And life must go on for my PH friend and he will have more lion hunts to conduct.

However, as someone said, the cat is pretty much out of the bag at this point. So, I'll give you the particulars as best I know them. As mentioned Jacques and I discussed this, but it was not at great length. And of course I wasn't there. But here goes:

1. The night before as Jacques was going onto the property for this first time this year, he noted how the cats were acting "grumpy." He even posted this the on FB, something of an eery foreshadowing in retrospect. I'm not sure exactly what he meant by the cats acting grumpy , but he found it noteworthy.

2. On the hunt itself as they approached the lion and came into shooting distance, Jacques instructed the client to shoot. The client hesitated, for what reason I'm not sure. And I'm not trying to throw the client under the bus here, it could be as simple as he did not have a clear view of the vitals and was not confident in his shot, it was after all very thick as can be seen in the video.

3. Now combine an aggressive cat with the shot not being made, you now have a charge. Perhaps because he was in the clearest view of the lion, it made Reinhard the target of his charge.

4. Jacques did get off a shot that connected with the lion prior to the lion reaching Reinhard. It slowed the lion down, but obviously did not stop him.

5. As has been noted, Jacques kept his head and moved in to distract the lion away from Reinhard. Fortunately the lion dropped Reinhard and moved to the side giving Jacques the opening to put one in the lion's head and put an end to this. There's no doubt in my mind that Jacques saved the life of Reinhard as well as everyone else there that day.

That's really about all there is to it.
Fantastic example of a professional in action. Jacques undoubtedly saved Reinhard's life as possibly the clients. it could have turned out much much worse.

Would someone be so kind to give us an update on Reinhard, thank you.

Would someone be so kind to give us an update on Reinhard, thank you.

I got an email from Reinhard last night that he was going home today. He thinks he'll be up and hunting again in May.

Good to hear and thank you Phil for the update.

yup he said he aimed to be in his local bar by 1pm for a shake down with the boys :D Cheers:.........sure his madam might have something to say......:A Naughty: :E Big Grin:
He deserves many rounds of free drinks:D Beer Bottle:

Excellent news! Thanks Phil

I posted here earlier but for some reason it didn't take.

from everything ive read and seen, it sounds like Jacques and Reinhard did a stand up job protecting their clients! its a shame Reinhard was hurt but it sounds like he will be back on his feet soon, so all is well.

Jacques, id happily have you back me up on a lion hunt any day!

-matt

Good news. Hope he goes easy on the self medication...for a day or two.

Reinhard booked himself back into hospital yesterday, I told him to calm the F down!

May is a novel idea if I catch him in camp I'll cutt his "canolies" off!

Hard to hold a true warrior back! I'm glad to hear he is doing better. My thoughts and prayers are still heading his way. Sounds like he's tough as nails.

Jaco keep him inline for his own good. He is lucky to have a friend that has his back through all this. It takes time to heal and it will be what is best for him in the end.

Reinhard booked himself back into hospital yesterday, I told him to calm the F down!

A true friend would take him to the hospital and tie him to the bed and feed him Jamesons till he gets better. :)

A positive attitude is one thing... Denial is another.
Failure to follow the professionals advice is.....!

Tell him something he can relate to. He is the client (never been to Africa before) and the PH said "he should pass on this one! We can do better!"
Trust your PH!
Don't you just hate clients who know it all! ;)

Just checking to see if there has been an update in the last week?

Is Reinhard still in the hospital? Infections?

All the best.

Just checking to see if there has been an update in the last week?

Is Reinhard still in the hospital? Infections?

All the best.
Bumping this......Does anyone have an update on Reinhard? How is he doing????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you