Preferred trigger weight?

70worm

AH member
Reaction score
Is there a preferred trigger weight for african rifles? I would assume you would'nt want it too low for safety reasons and such? I pulled the trigger for the first time (with a snap cap) on my CZ550 9.3x62 and it is a hair trigger. I handed it to my son, who likes light weight triggers, and as soon as he shouldered it and put his finger on the trigger just to feel the pressure it went off. He was definitely surprised! Now on a target or varmint rifle ok, but a big game/bush gun? Let me know what you think, and maybe I should order a trigger weight gauge.

Sure!

I'll say it some more.

For me I like a 7 pound pull on the big magnum's. But a 7 pound pull on a correctly honed and polished engagement, with a bit of greased eel let off travel before and after the trip.

Take it to a gunsmith, An Old gunsmith whose business isn't painting plastic with mag wheel paint.

A gritty 2 pound trigger couldn't hold a done right 7 pound pulls banana hammock.

Sure!
But a 7 pound pull on a correctly honed and polished engagement, with a bit of greased eel let off travel before and after the trip.

Guessing that's not what you meant to say, but not sure what it was you intended to.

Hi Phil,

I want a scoshi bit of travel before and after the trip. But honed and polished correctly so it's slick like a greased eel.

Sometimes when I translate into English things get messed up.

Hi Phil,

I want a scoshi bit of travel before and after the trip. But honed and polished correctly so it's slick like a greased eel.

Sometimes when I translate into English things get messed up.

I see. So are you saying a heavy, albeit smooth, trigger is called for with respect to dangerous game? You mentioned you wanted this for the big magnums, so I'm presuming you mean in the DG calibers.

I like a trigger weight at about 3# with a little take up and no overtravel, as far as honing I do a little clean-up and Iv'e learned to be careful because finding a trigger for a pre 64 Winchester can be expensive

I see. So are you saying a heavy, albeit smooth, trigger is called for with respect to dangerous game? You mentioned you wanted this for the big magnums, so I'm presuming you mean in the DG calibers.

Yes!

And calibers 45 and bigger.

Personally I intensely dislike creeping triggers. 2lbs is too light without a set trigger and 7 lbs is too heavy in my opinion. Cheers

2.5 to 3 in bolt actions
Double rifles 4to5lbi like to feel trigger through a thin glove with double

Rifles for PG: a smooth, crisp 3-3.5# and a crisp 4-4.5# on the DG rifle. Just MY preferences.

I like 2.5~3.5lbs.... clean, crisp.... no creep.

I have found that a heavier rifle with a powerful big bore is more accurate when fired offhand with a heavier trigger pull than one more often set for a lightweight rifle throwing out powderpuffs.

Back to you @70worm , with your 550, was that the set trigger that was too light? On my 550 in 416 the first stage trigger is heavier, albeit a good weight. The set trigger is on a hair. (Some dont like that but I dont mind that feature for a potential crock or hippo shot where I have the time for a setup)

When in doubt, order a trigger pull gauge and practice to see if your trigger is consistent and what you like. Great tool to have even if you use it seldomly.

I prefer a 2.5-3# trigger on any hunting bolt action rifle.
I also have a CZ550 in 375H&H, had the trigger worked by Wayne at AHR and it is awesome.
http://americanhuntingrifles.com/

4 pounds on all hunting rifles.

I have never seen a greased eel, but that must equate to slick, smooth, polished, etc., so I agree.
When all is "on" the rifle fires itself at the right time. Also known as being in the zone!

Finger shouldn't be on the trigger until you've decided to shoot.

^^^^ This ^^^^

I prefer a crisp 3lbs on everything from my 1911’s to my 416 Taylor...

No take up.. and no over travel...

A nice clean icicle break for me please... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg