Potential US Expat

Tough call. I've thought about it the last few years but keep tamping down the desire as all the realities are considered. Dang reality! Mindanao, Negros or Panay Philippines wouldn't be bad. As beautiful and appealing as some of the areas are, there is a "sameness" that is hard to describe. Beautiful, quiet beaches all to yourself with a short 30 minute drive to rugged, high mountain jungle requiring a warm jacket in the afternoon cloud bank. Driving where honking is used as a form of sonar warning and avoidance and not a rude gesture. Living where bureaucrat lines are normal and expected. Expecting that locals eat out often where sounds of karaoke blast off-key renditions of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" :) Expecting to go to the local market most everyday for fish and fruit. Visiting the mall for social gathering and to enjoy the aircon. Go to any mall and it's easy to spot the expats- mostly German, Brit, American or Aussie walking a full head taller. :) I don't know where the foreign tourists go that are seen in Aquino Intl airport in Manila?- but I do not see them in the southern Philippines- hmm? Maybe they're afraid of the occasional terrorist attacks that used to make the news. The cost of living differential is fairly large so that is a draw to many. Personal common firearms ownership without strict registration is verboten but many have them without documentation. There are small, club type, controlled shooting range opportunities but not a place for any hunting. Not much sport fishing, however some do fish. Unlimited snorkel and scuba opportunity. Hospital, medical and dental care not too bad but not on par with what we might expect here. Seems an underpinning of widespread soft corruption as is common in many similar countries. So I dunno... for now the USA is still best or least bad, IMO, even considering the Swamp. But it gets harder all the time to maintain that opinion.

Last edited:
Many suggest Spain. (Just keep your trophy room below 500,000 ft2 and you should be fine!) Some good hunting there, too, and Africa is just across the pond! Drive to your safari on the reverse "Cairo to Cape" highway (N1?)

Last edited:
I was born in Nicaragua, and lived a good part of my life there. What @mdwest said about Nicaragua is spot on. The cost of living is very low, and the life style is very slow. Time doesn't mean sh*t there, and if you need something today, expect to get in a week.

I've gone back to visit twice since retiring from the military, and let me tell you, I come back to the US a brand new man, I love the slow way of life. My parents build a retirement home there, and for approximately one thousand Dollars a month, they have food, two maids, a gardener, a security guard and pay utilities (phone, electricity & cable). This does not include the house since it's paid off.

The bad. Politically has been unstable, but even with the Sandinistas, life was still good if you were not involved in politics. Ortega found out that if he didn't go too far left, the US udder was there for him to suck on. Something Cuba & Russia couldn't provide. :ROFLMAO:

Once I retire for good (in another two years), I'm planning on spending time here and there during the year. :)

Good luck with your choice.

Many suggest Spain. (Just keep your trophy room below 500,000 ft2 and you should be fine!) Some good hunting there, too, and Africa is just across the pond! Drive to your safari on the reverse "Cairo to Cape" highway (N1?)
Thanks for the suggestion,

Any of our Spanish members wants to jump in and give their opinion? @homeless @Nyati
How would you rate Spain as an expat /retirement destination for the international hunter?

Thanks for the suggestion,

Any of our Spanish members wants to jump in and give their opinion? @homeless @Nyati
How would you rate Spain as an expat /retirement destination for the international hunter?

I have lived and traveled through a lot of countries, and I would say none is perfect, in my opinion Spain would be a good compromise.

No problems whatsoever about trophies, if it has a Cites, you can have it.

Handguns would be a problem, only for competition.
Shotguns, you can own 5.
Rifles unlimited, but no "military" calibers, .223, or .50 and above, unless they are flanged. Subject to licenses and registration, of course.

Cost of living, not so cheap, but better than northern Europe, healthcare, first class.

Food, wines, beer, a lot of choices, reasonably priced.

The country is very diverse, so you would have to pick and choose exactly where you want to live, there are large expat communities along the mediterranean coast.

If you aren’t fluent in the native language you won’t have to listen to how bad the political situation is on the news every night.
As the prophet Archibald Bunker would say “case closed”.

Not saying that other places in the world all suck, but we have it best here in America. I have never imagined living anywhere else and giving up the freedoms that we have here.
I will stay right here.

If you aren’t fluent in the native language you won’t have to listen to how bad the political situation is on the news every night.
As the prophet Archibald Bunker would say “case closed”.

Archie Bunker once said, "The problem with Europe is there are too many foreigners there"

Not saying that other places in the world all suck, but we have it best here in America. I have never imagined living anywhere else and giving up the freedoms that we have here.
I will stay right here.
I believe it's the mounting cost that troubles many people. You don't give up freedoms having dual-citizenship. $ go farther, elsewhere, in the sunset years! As touched upon by Para above, the Quality of Life is actually better outside America (and that from a person whose fam helped defend and settle America in the 1700s.)

I believe it's the mounting cost that troubles many people. You don't give up freedoms having dual-citizenship. $ go farther, elsewhere, in the sunset years! As touched upon by Para above, the Quality of Life is actually better outside America (and that from a person whose fam helped defend and settle America in the 1700s.)
If you are living in another country, you dont get to take American freedoms with you. You are subject to that country's laws.
Break the law in another country and you are subject to their rules and regs.

mexico is a great option, it's not gun friendly but you can have some decent options, a .380 pistol, 38 special revolver, a shotgun or an ar15 our law is a joke you can't have a 9mm but you can have an ar15 with the barrel so small as you like

After the last two years and what I've seen from our foreign friends, I would never not have a permanent residence here in the US. I will gladly visit other countries and can even see spending a portion of the year wherever, but I would never move my entire life there.

I've also never been able to make sense of people saying they enjoy the slower pace of life in some foreign countries as opposed to here in the states. If I'm retired here in the US I can live my life at whatever pace I wish. I also won't have to wait three weeks to get a plumber to show up.

Not knowing your retirement financial status, But, Just an FYI, If you collect/receive (or lf you plan to) Social Security Administration (SSA/SSI) and/or Department of Veterans Affairs (V.A.) benefits as part of your retirement you will loose those benefits should you choose to live outside of the USA or its territories.

Of course there are various "loopholes" and "grey areas" to be able to live abroad and still be able to collect the for mentioned benefits:

1. maintain a residence in the USA or its territories.

2. rotate residences every 29 days.

etc.

All the while maintaining bank account(s) in the US.

Just something to think about and check out.

Belieze comes to mind. English speaking and they want Americans to come live there.

If you are living in another country, you dont get to take American freedoms with you. You are subject to that country's laws.
Break the law in another country and you are subject to their rules and regs.
That's not a problem if you're a law-abiding citizen. Jose BiDem had the freedom to reduce my retirement savings by over a quarter-million dollars...and now the inflation on top of it. >50% of voters (even the dead ones) are not too smart.

That's not a problem if you're a law-abiding citizen. Jose BiDem had the freedom to reduce my retirement savings by over a quarter-million dollars...and now the inflation on top of it. >50% of voters (even the dead ones) are not too smart.
Of course, but the word ( if) is the important one. But it remains that our Constitutional rights dont follow us around the world.
We are subject to the laws where we are, and other countries dont have our Bill of Rights, nor in particular our best interests at heart, depends where you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg