Politics

Dianne Feinstein's replacement. Oh boy.

Laphonza-Butler will become the second Black woman after Harris to represent California in the Senate and the first Black lesbian to openly serve in Congress.

Was this rhetorical, or serious?

I started typing California, Oregon, Washington but then thought I misunderstood the post.

View attachment 561005
Interesting, as Crimea was an independent, Russian-majority Republic for three years ('92-'95), and Russian from 1783-1954... only handed to the Ukraine as a part of a Soviet political deal. Of course, she has a dog in the fight...

Thanks for the lecture, but I'm not the one confused about the concept of separation of church and state. Nor am I confused as to why the founders intentionally omitted direct references to God in the U.S. Constitution, and that omission has nothing to do with the fact that the Constitution was indeed drafted with a firm foundation of Judeo-Christian morals and values. You do realize that Deists still believe in the existence of God? They just don't believe in a creator who directly interacts with humankind... Paine specifically opposed organized religion and thought the church to be corrupt, but that didn't mean he didn't believe in God... More to the point, although their influences most certainly affected the actual framers, neither Franklin nor Paine directly contributed to the content of the Constitution.

Even more interestingly, Paine was no fan of George Washington who Paine felt betrayed him during his post-war arrests in Great Britian and France for treason.... He called Washington an elitist and an incompetent general... Paine actually opposed many parts of the Constitution including the mere fact that the Constitution was written by members of the government itself. He believed that a Constitution should be drafted directly by the people. He also strongly opposed the concept of a single executive, and 2-body legislature... If Paine were alive today, he would be branded by the democrats as Ultra-extreme radical MAGA!

I've read everything Paine ever wrote... Maybe you should as well before making more singular, out of context references... For anyone else interested in the actual thoughts and ideologies behind the work of the founding fathers and how the Constitution came to be, I recommend reading the Federalist Papers. Many of the actual thoughts and influences of these men may surprise you...!
A reading comprehension test should likely be administered before offering someone a copy of the "Federalist Papers," but assuming a passing score, you are exactly correct. They should be required reading for any informed citizen.

In a lot of ways the Deist philosophy was almost required to create the concept of "natural rights." Dogma, whether religious, social, or political tends to be antithetical to many of the revolutionary ideas that arose during the enlightenment. The societies of much of the non-western world provide mute testament. We were also fortunate to be the heirs of Greece and Rome as well the great awakening.

Still, for a government to be based upon such concepts, political constructs were required and those natural rights had to enshrined in language and institutions. Here too, this country was fortunate to have so many key founders who were not driven by a particular set of strict religious beliefs.

1696255208761.png

They got taken hostage by extremists who doesn't even care to pay our troops who are in the harms way on a daily basis.
I don’t necessarily hold to the positions of the freedom caucus holding up budget votes. I do, however, wonder about this line of reasoning.

I’ve been hearing it a lot on NPR as well. Usually in the context of “government workers” rather than the military due to the liberal slant they have. But it’s the same idea.

While I firmly agree that our troops should be paid, I don’t know if it’s a reasonable position that because of it, congressional republicans have an obligation to pass any and everything the democrats want.

Again I don’t necessarily agree with all their budget positions. I support aid to Ukraine. But I also accept that they are not my congressmen and their constituents may have different priorities and that democrat congressmen haven’t seemed particularly interested in compromising either.

Last edited:
1696257141759.png

Extreme Democrat's holding this country hostage.
Fixed the headline for you.

Screenshot_20231002-082808.png

Here’s a happy thought. The people who vote and attempt to have sane political opinions are among the population who have spent $1.5 billion on watching Barbie the movie.

If you’re like me, you probably never heard of Jamaal Bowman until this weekend. He’s the US Representative for New York’s 16th congressional district. He took it upon himself to pull the fire alarm in the Cannon House Office Building. On surveillance cameras and everything! He swears it was an accident. Most everyone else thinks he was trying to delay the vote on the spending bill.

Sorry…hit post too soon. The yowling, unfreakinbelievable arrogance of the man is not to be believed. An accident? We’re supposed to believe it was an accident? Some investigative journalist needs to ask him if, when he was a school principal (how did an idiot like him become a school principal, much less a Congressman is beyond me) if he would have believed one of his students if they copped such a plea.

If you’re like me, you probably never heard of Jamaal Bowman until this weekend. He’s the US Representative for New York’s 16th congressional district. He took it upon himself to pull the fire alarm in the Cannon House Office Building. On surveillance cameras and everything! He swears it was an accident. Most everyone else thinks he was trying to delay the vote on the spending bill.

He claimed that it was door handle. :Wtf::Wtf:

A reading comprehension test should likely be administered before offering someone a copy of the "Federalist Papers," but assuming a passing score, you are exactly correct. They should be required reading for any informed citizen.

Yeah... The Federalist Papers are a tough read to be sure... However, the struggle to make sense of the content is worth the historical value for anyone who wishes to have an informed opinion on the founding fathers' true thoughts and intentions.

Still, for a government to be based upon such concepts, political constructs were required and those natural rights had to enshrined in language and institutions. Here too, this country was fortunate to have so many key founders who were not driven by a particular set of strict religious beliefs.

I don't disagree at all... I personally regard Paine and Jefferson in particular as two of the most forward-thinking men of their time. It must have been very risky for them to have opinions of heresy in regard to institutional religion in those days.

Where I take exception is with the OP's inference that this country was not founded upon basic Judeo-Christian values and morality by basing those opinions on the deliberate omission of any reference to God in the Constitution or a few quotes taken out of context... In other words, I reject the OP's supposition that if one or more of the founders were critical of any religious orthodoxy, they must also be critical of that religion's basic tenets. As an example, someone can personally reject that Jesus is the savior sent by the one true God, but that doesn't mean that at the same time they can't also embrace or be inspired by the principles of peace and love that Jesus professed.

It's perfectly conceivable and very likely that any of these founders could and did question the role of God in government or criticize the role of organized religion and still use the basic tenets of the prevailing values and morality of the people of the times by which to frame the Government. There is significantly much more evidence to support that supposition than not...

He claimed that it was door handle. :Wtf::Wtf:

OK, let’s just for a minute say he’s telling the truth, we have a member of congress who can’t tell the difference between a fire alarm and a door handle????

OK, let’s just for a minute say he’s telling the truth, we have a member of congress who can’t tell the difference between a fire alarm and a door handle????

I would bet a year's pension that there are several, if not scores of members of Congress who cannot tell the difference between a fire alarm and a door handle..

Dianne Feinstein's replacement. Oh boy.

Laphonza-Butler will become the second Black woman after Harris to represent California in the Senate and the first Black lesbian to openly serve in Congress.

.....and a month ago she listed her official residence as Maryland.

The best part of the appointment would be in seeing Adam Schiff's reaction. :love:

1696267918537.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdetteBlam

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you