Please forgive my ignorance - Is there such a thing as a high fence croc hunt?

I'm not sure in Africa but in Australia where hunting crocs by the general public or tourist hunters is not allowed. They had a big cull of big Salt Water Crocs, by government shooters, I think over 30 years ago. They have some absolutely huge crocs that escaped that cull. So they are old. Bigger than Nile crocs in Africa.

I suspect a croc who doesn't have to work for a living but rather has his rent paid for him and his meals delivered right to him without any effort on his part, can grow pretty big and fat in short order.
You know, just like humans.....
I hunted a huge property in Australia for buffalo in 2017. Tourists can’t hunt crocs or shoot them. But landowner was given croc tags every year. He sold croc harvesting experiences. You could participate in trapping crocs until you got the one you wanted. They would have to dispatch it for you but you could have the skin and skull. They got monsters.

If it was a farm on the section of the Limpopo river between the mogol and Shashe river then there is a good chance it may be one of the escaped crocs from the croc farm that got washed away during the floods a few years back. Crocs do go inland from a water source at times. I recall one of the old timer Zimbo ph’s (Richard Harland ?) once bumped a croc 3 km from the closest water when hunting elephants.

Is there such a thing as a high fence croc hunt? I was on youtube watching a crocodile hunt with a well know hunting personality. The hunt was taking place along the Limpopo in South Africa. It was pretty entertaining. The host of the show was looking for a 14 footer plus. I noticed they were hunting along various river banks ect ect with no luck. You can tell it was free range. They saw some crocs but they in the 10-11 foot range.

Near the end of the show the PH said someone radioed of a possible 14 footer in a small pool. Well, after the tv break they went to this small pool. It was probably 30 yards wide then it opened up into a circle about 50 yards in circumference. I couldn't see where water was being fed into this pool and it looked man made. Where they were hunting before looked like a natural river bank. Sure enough the croc was huge but he didn't act like he was afraid of these guys. He submerged a few times then he'd pop up. They stalked to like within 25 yards of him. They stood on the bank the host was using a .375 h&h. I mean they were talking & taking there time and this crocodile was just sitting in the water looking at them. He got up on the sticks the croc never moved just wading there broad side. He made a brain shot and just turned him over. The PH snag him with a fishing rod and sure enough he was 14 feet 2 inches.

I'm just wondering is it such thing? Im not here to debate politics. Just wondering do people get these enormous crocs and put them in small pools for a hunt that's all.

BTW can someone explain to me why Ethiopians outlawed hunting crocs? I was told possibly the biggest crocs on earth but certainly the biggest crocs in Africa live there. Thanks.
This is what you call an put and take hunt. Many are done this way. this scenario was famously displayed in Trophy the film. Not particularly sporting.
As to the term "high fence" hunters need to know that besides the spiral horns and a few others most African game can not jump a cattle fence. Just keep that in mind.

Put and take croc?
Obviously as per responses there are some.
But I wonder how does that work?

Large croc can be 100 years old, or 60.
They are not breading them to that age. So, how they get large croc to put it in a pond?
Is there an enterprise catching live old crocs and selling them live on the market? Who does that?

. . . along the coast where they are in the actual ocean. You absolutely cannot swim in the ocean up around Darwin unless the beach is protected by a cable net. They don’t worry about sharks because the sharks are afraid of the crocs and so stay away;) . . .

My first trip to Cairns (87 or 88) went out on a boat to the reef. The dive master said you don’t have to worry about sharks in the water around Cairns as the crocs eat them. All along the water front there are signs warning of crocs in the water.

Wow... Just... wow. It makes me sad on two levels. One that this twatwaffle was wired to think this was some sort of accomplishment, and that unknowledgeable people would see/have seen this and think it's "hunting"... I haven't ever seen Trophy. I am guessing this is largely a microcosm of an underlying theme?

I saw the same show (I think). The crawled up on the pond where there was already a shooting lane cut in the grass. The water didn't look deep enough for the croc to even submerge. I think I've said it before, Africa has something for everyone...

Thanks 375Fox...seems youtube ban this to watch here in europe

And here I presume... :E Shrug:

Screenshot_20230302_171922_Chrome.jpg

If it was a farm on the section of the Limpopo river between the mogol and Shashe river then there is a good chance it may be one of the escaped crocs from the croc farm that got washed away during the floods a few years back. Crocs do go inland from a water source at times. I recall one of the old timer Zimbo ph’s (Richard Harland ?) once bumped a croc 3 km from the closest water when hunting elephants.

In luangwa crocs have been filmed feeding at night a kilometre or possibly more from the river attracted by scent of dead animals

I’ve seen big wild crocodiles in the Mogol River. From what I recall there is a special permit required for a wild crocodile (as opposed to something from a farm).
This is true of the Mogol, crocodile, Limpopo and various other rivers. Natural wild populations do occur, obtaining hunting permits for them is quite difficult as well.

For the most part, crocs in SA are bought and relocated from croc farms to ranches with ponds. There is no arguing that fact.

With that said I know of a few SA ph’s that are absolute masters of judging croc as they cut their teeth on the Zambezi and Cahorra Bassa. In Mozambique.

Unfortunate reality is though that these ph’s are in the minority.
In my honest opinion a croc hunt in SA is exactly the same as the ranch lions it is a forgone conclusion that you will have one, compare it to 90% of other areas in SA where not even leaving with a kudu is a guarantee the difference lies in just that.

Power to those who don’t mind it, but even more so to those who call it as they see it.

My very best always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross