Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I say get the .338 - it's so much fun to shoot and who cares if it's too much for plains game. The recoil isn't significant when you're hunting

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Congrats on buliding your own rifle Cliffy, that is a honor. And you are right, you don't have to spend a fortune on a rifle to hunt in Africa.

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
To reference the Midway USA commercial with Harry Potterfield

Question: How many rifles does one man need?

Answer: Well, at least one more.

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I think for my first trip to Africa I will take the old tried and true 30-06 and see how it goes! You folks have made some really interesting points. Definitely food for thought!

Cliffy

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
Thanks for the comment enysse!
It was fun doing it but I'm way too slow to ever make money at it. It's just nice to look in the gun case and say "Hey, I made that!". May not be world class but it's classy enough for me. BTW, it started out as a 30-06 Rem 700! Next time I'd use a pretapered short chambered barrel. I'd love to have the $1500 in tools that Harry Potterfield has in his Rem 700 action truing utube. That is the way to do it!

joester

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
Hunted
US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
You said you'd like something different? Why not take a lever rifle along w/ your .375 BLR has them in .7mm or 7 WSM, .300 Win. or .300 WSM, or , to get really cool, . 325 WSM. They all come in takedown models as well

i shot a nice dugga boy in Zim last summer w/ my BLR rebarelled in .375 Ruger. many PH's haven't seen or shot lever rifles. They are real head turners!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSJThurman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh