Peter Capstick...who knows the truth?

longbow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and planning my first trip to Africa, which a number of people on this forum have been very helpful with. I recently had an article sent to me by a friend who knows of my fascination with Africa. The article clearly states that Peter H. Capstick, the famous author and I assumed PH, was just a bartender and never really a pro hunter. This is somewhat dis-heartening to a guy like me who owns his whole library ... and bought a whole bunch of other African novels he recommends in his stories. I spent many an hour while guiding whitewater trips across the western United States reading his novels around the campfire, which inspired me to not only travel to Africa someday to hunt, but also to write a novel based on my own (somewhat less dangerous) experiences as a guide. I have always guessed that his stories were a bit embellished, the better to sell novels with, but the idea that he could be a complete fraud is just not sitting right with me. I have a hunch that this topic may have been covered too many times, but I would like to know the truth...if anyone knows it.
-Longbow

I dont know the details of his life but I do know that if you go on 1/10th the safaris he has you will beat us all.

I'm not a Capstick expert, but I suspect his earliest works may have been a touch polished. If you goal is to sell books, such stuff makes for interested readers. Many of his later works like Sands of Africa are more down-to-earth and recount a day-to-day safari replete with actual names, associates, places, witnesses, etc, making it much harder to be a fish story. I doubt very much that he was nothing more than a windbag bartender.

Thanks for the info guys. Beats me why someone would go to enough trouble to write an article like that just to smear Capstick's name, but I guess there are bottom-feeders no matter where you go.

His wife Fiona attends a lot of our association (PHASA) meetings etc. I know her and have spoken to her many times. Shy is a very upstanding lady and I have total respect for her.
She has told me many stories that was never printed. Yes, Peter did polish a lot of his work so as to read better and to make the stories interesting and enjoyable. Imagine how boring it would be if he only copied his diary and published it as it was.
Many people find fault with most writers for some or other reason. I would like to see how they write a story and how successful they will be.

If you read his books and pay attention and then when you are in the bush. The two do not always match.

So i think like the rest of you that the books were enriched to sell the product.

Interesting topic and responses. My opinion only, I owe a lot of my facination with Africa to Mr. Capstick. Growing up in less than ideal conditions, Edgar Rice Burroughs allowed me to escape my screwed up upbringing thru his series of books "Tarzan". Once I got older, the likes of Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith took me to far away places with their writings. Then I picked up "Death in the Long Grass" by Mr. Capstick. He could make me "live" in his moments, true or not. I didn't and don't care. His style of writing has the ability to take you on a journey and be there as if you were there in person. Did he embelish his stories to make them "better"? Probably. Did Jack and Elmer do the same? Probably. 100% truth or not these men entertained me and thousands more. I actually owe it to Mr. Capstick, for fueling my desire to experience Africa. I have spent many a night around a campfire listening (and telling) hunting stories/memories. Were any of those emblished?? Damn straight.

Fritz - You are 100% right about Fiona. I met here at the Houston Safari Club Convention a few years ago. Very fine lady.

If memory serves me correctly it was some hack named Ray Ordorica(sp) that with out due process or evidence, decided that PHC was only a bartender and never held a PH license anywhere. We have evidence to the contrary that PHC was indeed a license holder which we can’t say about RO, merely someone that scratches ink to paper and will never in any life time obtain the notoriety that PHC rose to. RO’s scratching apparently were put to print in 2008, Peter had been dead for a number of years prior and we can only reckon that RO’s claim to fame is that he slights only those that are passed and therefore not around to defend themselves. Believe what you wish. I only know him as a good enough chap than never took himself to seriously, was a pleasure to be around and a wealth of information.

An interesting comparison for those writers suffering from Capstick envy is Ernest Hemingway. His wonderful book "Green Hills of Africa" is based upon is first safari in Africa with his wife, Pauline Pfeiffer, and Philip Percival. You may rest assured that it generally follows Papa's adventures in East Africa in1934. But no one has ever remotely considered scrutinizing each and every event to see if it was exactly as he experienced it, a bit embellished in the telling, or heard around the campfire from Percival. Certainly, much of that actual experience and campfire material flowed into the "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber." I think both writers had a passion for telling a story well and truly (that is to make you Hemingway fans chuckle ;) ) as opposed to "truthfully." Neither was trying to produce an affidavit. I think they both succeeded admirably.

An interesting comparison for those writers suffering from Capstick envy is Ernest Hemingway. His wonderful book "Green Hills of Africa" is based upon is first safari in Africa with his wife, Pauline Pfeiffer, and Philip Percival. You may rest assured that it generally follows Papa's adventures in East Africa in1934. But no one has ever remotely considered scrutinizing each and every event to see if it was exactly as he experienced it, a bit embellished in the telling, or heard around the campfire from Percival. Certainly, much of that actual experience and campfire material flowed into the "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber." I think both writers had a passion for telling a story well and truly (that is to make you Hemingway fans chuckle ;) ) as opposed to "truthfully." Neither was trying to produce an affidavit. I think they both succeeded admirably.
Indeed so.

Very well said

Many famous writers have "embellished" the truth to make a story interesting. That is why they were/are great writers.

Are all stories told around the campfire the truth ? How about looking over a tailgate into the bed of a pickup truck? What about at the load dock or wharf?

I don't actually believe it matters how polished or elaborated his books were, they are designed to be entertaining stories about hunting in Africa and they are exactly that.
If you have been entertained and enjoyed reading Capstick then what else do you need?
Capstick was a PH and went hunting an awful lot in Africa and across the globe. He is a successful author and I think we are lucky he put his experiences and tales down on paper for us all to read.
I love to pick up his books on a winter's evening with a drink and be transported back to the heat and the bush.
I don't care if the stories are true, part true or complete fiction. They give me pleasure and that's why I read them.
If you want to read something factual, read something else. (y)

Dont believe everything you read or hear....many have exagerated in their writings, most of the old timers who reverted to writing books....Capsrick, Taylor, Kambako,....etc etc.....

if he tended bar for awhile, I am sure he was a great bartender.

He's been dead and ashes scattered a long time.

In my mind he was an interesting guy, and maybe there is a sprinkle of pixie dust and bullshit in his writing.

It makes for interesting reading.

Some of it probably happened, some of it probably happened to him.

There has been a great deal of effort (mostly due to jealousy) to discredit him. I don't think this was necessary or added value to the story.

As professional hunters of his generation are mostly in the "happy hunting ground", I don't know why so many people continue to shit on his reputation.

I seriously doubt he wasn't a professional hunter, maybe not as interesting of a PH as he has written about, but still a PH.

Thanks for the info guys. Beats me why someone would go to enough trouble to write an article like that just to smear Capstick's name, but I guess there are bottom-feeders no matter where you go.
Tall poppy syndrome and jealousy. I wouldn't have minded doing a tenth of what he did, including bartending. I tend the bar when friends come around. Don't sweat it, get over to Africa when you can and live it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg