Partition vs Accubond

The 250 gr Nosler Partition in .35 Whelen has been commonly used here in Alaska on moose, bear and bison with perfect success for a long time.
I think the typical velocity for this cartridge and 250 gr bullet is around 2400 fps but perhaps my memory is off as usual.
In any event, your higher velocity will probably be unnecessary for hunting in Limpopo.
Likewise, my friend Tony Provost shot the largest eland bull I have ever seen with his .35 Whelen and regular old factory loaded 250 gr Remington "Core-Lokt" bullet.
It staggered at the shot then fell but raised his head so, Tony shot him again.
That first shot would have been fatal but Tony being a decent sportsman finished the animal surely with a quick second shot.
The PH told us he figured it was about 2100 pounds live weight (about 600 pound more than the buffalo I shot on that same trip).
Today's .35 Whelen is ballistically about identical to the good old .350 Rigby Rimless Magnum.
And that fine cartridge has taken most species in Africa with less sophisticated bullets than the Partition.
I have hunted in the Limpopo District and predict that your .35 Whelen with 250 grain Nosler Partition bullet is going to serve you so well that you will wonder why it is not an extremely popular one for antelope and boar hunting throughout most of Africa (I wonder myself).
IMO, a .33 or .35 or 9.3 (.366) non-belted, non-magnum size caliber bolt action rifle with low to moderate power scope in low rings is about perfect for non-dangerous game in the Limpopo type environment.
And, these would be adequate for lion where legal from what I understand, (but have not experienced).

I'm starting to see a pattern to the responses.
1.) Use the 250gn Partition, it will flatten everything I plan on hunting.
2.) If I ever hunt Alaska plan on using my Whelen.

I'm heading to bushveld of SA for my first PG hunt next August and I'll be using my 35 Whelen. I plan on using 250 grn nosler partition @ 2550 fps, my question is would the 225 grn accubond @ 2750 fps be a better choice?
Art
20200123_133438.jpg

Art
225grain accubond recovered from a frontal shot on a Kudu at 120 odd yards.
Penetrated over 5 feet of animal.
Cheers mate Bob

I'll be hunting the bushveld in the Limpopo province and plan on keeping my shoots under 150 yards which is why I started with the 250gr partition. I'm really a Hornady man but they don't load a heavy bullet in the 35 whelen, the 200gr Superformance load is awesome on deer and hog but seams a bit soft for the larger PG on my list. The partition shoots just under an inch in my T/C Encore and is quite comfortable to shoot (provided I grip the foe end). Thanks for the great advice everyone, please keep it coming.

Don’t know if Norma offers 35 Whalen or not, but if they do you might want to give their Oryx cartridges a go. Switched to Norma about a year ago and been very happy with their ammo....a bit pricey but that’s what you get with quality ammo.

I have used Nosler Partitions for 45 yrs for most all of my hunting. I have shot several hundred head of animals with them in various calibers with only 2 failures that still resulted in dead animals. Also as an Outfitter I saw several hundred head shot with Partitions with no failures. I was retired from Outfitting before the Accubonds came out but have personally used them in several calibers and have been with friends and customers who have used them. Probably around 100 animals from Antelope to Black Bear to Deer and Elk plus Moose. Personally have shot quite a few hogs in Tx with different calibers. These are my results and opinions. Accubonds overall have a slight edge over Partitions for accuracy. Not enough to make a difference in hunting situations. Accubonds work very well in most situations but do expand more than partitions. Occasionally and generally at closer ranges accubonds expand too quickly and fail to penetrate. And rarely but has happened they do not expand and pencil thru. I have always said the Partition is not perfect for a certain situation but is always the best for any situation.

Don’t know if Norma offers 35 Whalen or not, but if they do you might want to give their Oryx cartridges a go. Switched to Norma about a year ago and been very happy with their ammo....a bit pricey but that’s what you get with quality ammo.
Fastrig.
Yes Norma does make good ammo but they can't load the Whelen to it's full potential nor can any other companies. Most load the 225 grains @ 2,650 fps and t h e 250s @2450 fps.
I hand load only with the 225 accubonds at 2,850fps and the 250gn Speer hotcore @2,700 fps. This brings the Whelen up into it's rightful place.
Cheers mate Bob

I'm heading to bushveld of SA for my first PG hunt next August and I'll be using my 35 Whelen. I plan on using 250 grn nosler partition @ 2550 fps, my question is would the 225 grn accubond @ 2750 fps be a better choice?
Yes.

Just FYI, original posting was 2015. Good discussion though

I was advised and used the Accubond in my .375 Ruger. I used it for many Safaris including my lion. It has a great reputation for accuracy and killing power. I’m no expert but some have had failures of different kinds in the partition in large calibers.
Philip

Phil, what weight Accubond did you use in your 375 Ruger?

I have used 225 grain accubonds in my Whelen since they have been made before that I used 225 ballistic tips on whitetail deer. The ballistic tips did give me dead on the spot every time but I knew it was coming apart on impact the accubonds hold together much better just by looking at the damage when processing deer.
I don’t get lightning strike dead in tracks as often but always find them in short distance.

I'm starting to see a pattern to the responses.
1.) Use the 250gn Partition, it will flatten everything I plan on hunting.
2.) If I ever hunt Alaska plan on using my Whelen.
Art Lambart 11
Give your dad a call mate, him and I have been corresponding about the Whelen and other gun stuff. He can give you some good loads for your Whelen that will get your attention. When you can get your Whelen producing over 4,000 fps @ the muzzle and still hitting @100 yards almost as hard as a normal factory loaded Whelen at the muzzle.
This is using load data directly from the nosler site and the Speer reloading site. If you want a real bruiser try a 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP @2,950 fps for 4,300+ fps of muzzle energy.
This can be done without stressing the rifle or The cases.
You will definitely notice the difference. The accubonds and woodleigh turn the Whelen into a 400 yard elk rifle if you can shoot well enough.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

Bob,
Thanks for tip on the 225 grain Woodie I'll have to look into them.

i was given 3 boxes of older .358 dia 225 gr spitzer boat tail sp bullets #2850, any one used them in their 35 whelens, and if so how did they preform? it is a good looking bullet. my .35 whelens are a remington 7600 pump, a ruger # 1, and a custom van patton 98 mauser.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg