Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
This May have been discussed but I looked and may have missed it.

I recently got a pacemaker (8/8/19) going PG hunting with 9.3x62 on 8/30. Not too worried about that.

But....does anyone here have a PM and shoot big stuff like .470NE or .500 Jeffery? I asked in a Pacemaker support group and all the anti-gun/anti-hunting crowds all chimes in.

Not sure if heavy recoil will dislodge leads once they have set into place after a month or so.

My Father has a Pace maker AND a stent. He shoots a .30-06 on a weekly basis . He's 5 feet 11 . He also shoots a 12 gauge over under and occasionally my .375 HH Magnum. Hope this helps . Wishing you a speedy recovery .
Hoss
P.S : He does wear a padded vest when Firing the 12 gauge though

Glenn,

Thank you for posting this. I too will be having a close look at this thread.
My father received a pacemaker two weeks ago - hence my interest.

We did however have a conversation with the surgeon prior to the procedure, due to my dad being a lefty.
The surgeon then placed the pacemaker on the right hand side as to allow for recoil from rifles. Quite interestingly, it was also the first time in the surgeon's career that the concern was raised, nor has he ever given it thought.

@Dewald might be able to give us some very valuable information regarding this since this is closely related to his field of work.

Very interesting thread. I had an ICD put in not too long ago. The cardiologist didn't think a 12 ga would be a problem. I have only shot a 20 ga so far. He did put it on my left side, as I am right handed.

Glenn at the end of the day you must consult with your physician! We do have some doctors on this forum that may chime in.

This May have been discussed but I looked and may have missed it.

I recently got a pacemaker (8/8/19) going PG hunting with 9.3x62 on 8/30. Not too worried about that.

But....does anyone here have a PM and shoot big stuff like .470NE or .500 Jeffery? I asked in a Pacemaker support group and all the anti-gun/anti-hunting crowds all chimes in.

Not sure if heavy recoil will dislodge leads once they have set into place after a month or so.

I work for a company that make pacemakers. I’d advise you talk to your doctor AND the field rep of your pacemaker manufacturer.

That’s just it, nobody has given me any good info, doctor, rep, hospital, etc. plus I know there is a recommendation vs reality. They recommend we change our ballistic vests every five years. In reality they last much longer. I was just seeing if anyone had any real world experience. There may be only one way to find out... luckily, my PM is not a necessity to live, but to keep me from passing out while I was driving. Worst case scenario, is I have to get it put in again or repaired. Lol

My Father has a Pace maker AND a stent. He shoots a .30-06 on a weekly basis . He's 5 feet 11 . He also shoots a 12 gauge over under and occasionally my .375 HH Magnum. Hope this helps . Wishing you a speedy recovery .
Hoss
P.S : He does wear a padded vest when Firing the 12 gauge though
That does help for sure.

Got back from doctor’s office today and got the all clear for Aug 31 to Botswana. (Like I was not going to go anyway. Lol)

Asked about recoil from rifles and lady from Boston Scientific said after 8 weeks, good to go on big calibers. She was concerned about me shooting machine guns. I doubt there is a big enough sample group to know for sure on that, so I may help them out and be a study...

Got back from doctor’s office today and got the all clear for Aug 31 to Botswana. (Like I was not going to go anyway. Lol)

Asked about recoil from rifles and lady from Boston Scientific said after 8 weeks, good to go on big calibers. She was concerned about me shooting machine guns. I doubt there is a big enough sample group to know for sure on that, so I may help them out and be a study...
All the best ! God bless and l would still recommend a good shooting vest with strong padding . Stay safe .
Hoss
P.S : Stay away from .460 Weatherby Magnums . That's the ONe gun for which l would worry about the recoil :(

If the
All the best ! God bless and l would still recommend a good shooting vest with strong padding . Stay safe .
Hoss
P.S : Stay away from .460 Weatherby Magnums . That's the ONe gun for which l would worry about the recoil :(
If the .460 Weatherby is worse than the .500 Jeffery, I will stay away for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantstugebant

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair