Owning Multiple Rifles from the Same Manufacturer?

So I think I am about to commit to acts of rifle sacrilege. First, I am looking at buying a non-Weatherby rifle in a Weatherby cartridge. Second, I am looking at buying the same model rifle that I already own. The rifle in question is a Dakota Arms model 76 in .257 Weatherby.

I was just wondering if y'all have a personal rule against owning too many rifles from the same manufacturer or at least in the same model. My Dakota is the nicest rifle I have ever owned but I still feel bad picking up another simply because there are so many great rifle manufacturers out that it seems like a waste to just have all of my guns in the same model from the same manufacturer.

Obviously this is a rather ridiculous question and is ultimately inconsequential but I just want to know if anyone else thinks like I do about this.
To me it is first about caliber. However, the DR bug bit me and now I have bought two. They now obsorb me and my experience is you decide to either break the five figure barrier on fine rifles or you do not which to each their own. My experience is once you get into the DR stage as I have you no longer think about what you have bought in the past only what manufacturer you want for the future

You may think I am weird but most of my rifles have been old Mannlicher-schoenauers in various calibers--shame I didn't buy one in 458 win mag when I had the chance. I can strip them down to the firing pin, including the rotary magazine, without tools of any kind. I like more drop at comb (and even more so with shotguns) so they fit me well and look great to boot. I will never lose a dollar on them over time, either. I do have a Sako safari in 375 H&H which I just adore. If I were going to shoot past 300 yds in range as is the rage nowadays, I would rethink everything, leaning toward bean field rifle technology.
I envy you as I also love my Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56MS. I have a decided preference for the pre1924 models in the original Mannlicher calibers. Ammunition is a bit difficult to find but they are a hunters rifle first and foremost. The newer MCA models just don’t fit me as well. If I am going to buy a newer caliber I generally scope them.

I own rifles (and shotguns) from many different makers. If it is a quality rifle or gun, sound and fit for purpose - in a caliber I want - I consider buying it.

I have a decided preference for the pre1924 models in the original Mannlicher caliber.

Fond as I am of Grand Dad's M1910 Take Down MS (9.5X57 / .375 Nitro Express Rimless), with which I would never part, if I were shooting more frequently it would be nice to have an M1924 Sequoia as they chamber the readily available .30-'06 cartridge.

As it is (haven't fired it for many moons), reloading for the ol' MS makes shooting it a more intimate experience. The .375 270 grain RN projectiles, once common 'off the shelf' items, now involve quite the 'scavenger hunt'.

MS ST39 MS Takedown.jpg

Mannlicher Schoenauer (pre WW2) Take Down Model

Last edited:
Most of my rifles (including my first .22 ) are Winchesters, from that first .22 on up to my 1886 45-90 and others.
An old college roommate that played a lot of winning poker always told me to "never kick a winner".
Same reason all my shotguns are Parkers.

Well, if money were no object … I’d really like Joseph Smithson to build me four custom rifles on proportionately sized Granite Mountain Arms Mauser actions:
i) A .243 Winchester built on a Granite Mountain Arms short Mauser action
ii) A .30-06 Springfield built on a Granite Mountain Arms standard Mauser action
iii) A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum built on a Granite Mountain Arms Express Magnum Mauser action
iv) A .505 Gibbs built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action

Well, if money were no object … I’d really like Joseph Smithson to build me four custom rifles on proportionately sized Granite Mountain Arms Mauser actions:
i) A .243 Winchester built on a Granite Mountain Arms short Mauser action
ii) A .30-06 Springfield built on a Granite Mountain Arms standard Mauser action
iii) A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum built on a Granite Mountain Arms Express Magnum Mauser action
iv) A .505 Gibbs built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action
@Hunter Habib
Even if you had te money please don't waste it on a pissant useless cartridge like the 243.
At least go a classic like a 250 Savage. A far better cartridge than the other one
Bob

Why not double up. I have a browning bar safari II that is a bad to the bone deer rifle. My next purchase will probably be another one in same caliber. 30-06.

@Hunter Habib
Even if you had te money please don't waste it on a pissant useless cartridge like the 243.
At least go a classic like a 250 Savage. A far better cartridge than the other one
Bob

Now now Bob!

I have four Rugers if you include a 22 pistol.
Two of them are not only the same model (#1 rifles) but rather close calibers of 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Considering I can count my rifles on a hand this ought to be redundant, yet I have no regrets. Enjoy the Dakota in 257 Weatherby.

@Dr Ray
But uncle Ray do I really have to play nicely with some one owns a 243.
I ain't politically correct so I should be able to tell them nicely the 243 is a peice of shit.
Bob

I used a 243 for many years
But
It’s a problem child
Too heavy for light work
Too light for heavy work

Too heavy for light work
Too light for heavy work
Previously I'd have disagreed. I consider any of the 257s a better cartridge for deer and similar game but the 243 did have a place for shooting prairie dogs in windy country, however with the advent of 1-7" twist barrels in .224 cartridges so that 90 grain High BC bullets can be used, the 243 loses out even in that category.

I used a 243 for many years
But
It’s a problem child
Too heavy for light work
Too light for heavy work
@Dr Ray
It's a pity it took you a few years to work out it a POS you did learn and can now speak from experience how useless the 243 is.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg