Original Rigby .275

Thanks for posting Vagrouser.

Modern manufacturers could do well by taking note.

It just can't be that hard to produce/reproduce this in it's basic form.

A well manufactured control round feed, attached to a barrel with a SLIM, LIGHTWEIGHT straight stock. Nothing fancy, no gimmicks, ONE SINGLE trigger, no fender feelers or ashtrays.

Someday i live in hope that someone will twig and reproduce this type of firearm at an affordable, blue-collar price tag, and i'm sure that if they ever do they'll clean-up.

Beautiful rifle! Looking fwd, to forthcoming reports on her new life!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.21 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.22 AM.png
    893.6 KB · Views: 110
Wow what a fantastic Rifle and in very good condition for a gun that was made in 1911!
It appears to be built on an Intermediate action as was common with the .275 (7x57mm) .
best of all is the original peep sight! Does it have a case?

Hi Spike,
Thanks for the tip. I wasn’t sure if the original records survived. I’ve followed your advice and emailed them and will post back with what I learn.

Yup they have the originals there. Paul who used to own Rigbys also has a set of copies he made before he sold the company to the california muppets....think he was worried something might happen to them...I have looked through some of them and very interesting it is...seen bell and finch-hattons names in there amongst others...military officers...titled people and interestingly in the 1920s and 1930s ladies names usually for the 275 but I think I also saw at least one having a 350 bolt...i used to have a 1947 275 and paul looked up the owner for me...but traded it and my 350 bolt for a replica bell 275 he had just finished...fit me perfectly and couldn't put it down when he showed it to me....the dangers of visiting him.... :E Big Grin:

Could i help you hold it for safe keeping ? :oops:

Pretty awesome rifle! I love the history behind and the craftsmanship of the older rifles. Congrats on your find!

A well manufactured control round feed, attached to a barrel with a SLIM, LIGHTWEIGHT straight stock. Nothing fancy, no gimmicks, ONE SINGLE trigger, no fender feelers or ashtrays.

Someday i live in hope that someone will twig and reproduce this type of firearm at an affordable, blue-collar price tag, and i'm sure that if they ever do they'll clean-up.
there is a modern manufacturer that produced a better rifle.
the win m70 featherweight came in 7x57, is much cheaper, made of better materials, and has better stock design.
only thing that would improve it is making it in 280 rem.
bruce.

I ha
Marc would love to see the pictures as well.

Now find a .416 to go with it.
I have the .416R to go with it, but not as nice

In response to John Telford, yes, it does have a case. There are additional photographs here:
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...ake-down-bolt-action-sportin-104-c-9c74986962

Gavin Gardiner tends to be a bit chatty if you engage him in conversation. Probably best to arrange a condition report by e-mail!

Harry Gordon will ship it for you: https://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/export.htm

To give some idea of cost, he indicated a cost of about £1,000 six months ago to ship four rifles to SA.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.52 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.54 AM.png
    623.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.49.58 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.50.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.50.07 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.50.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.50.11 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
the win m70 featherweight came in 7x57, is much cheaper, made of better materials, and has better stock design.
bruce.
Heretics have been burnt at the stake for less.

WOE. That is an absolutely beautiful work of art. . I would wish something as beautiful like that would end up in my safe. That is truly a masterpiece

bruce.
I really don't get the fascination with the pre-64. I have owned several featherweights and standard rifles. Yes it worked and the safety was a real advance, but the open sights were rudimentary, and accuracy was typically closer to 2 MOA rather than 1 until a professional bedding job was done. Drop at heel was much closer to pre-war rifles than what we consider normal today. And yes, O'Conner extoled its virtues, but only after his friend Al Biesen would have worked his magic turning it into a very different rifle.

It was indeed a better rifle at its price point than any almost any other rifle available in this country or Europe at least through the mid-fifties. But if I had the resources and didn't have friend named Al? I would take the Rigby hands down.

There is one. It is called the Highland Stalker by - well - Rigby. It has a somewhat higher comb to accommodate scope use, but on the whole remains very true to its parentage. Best of all, it is a production rather than bespoke rifle.

New Rigby .275

It’s great to see how appreciated these rifles are. The British gunmakers had an understanding of form and balance that hasn’t been exceeded. Some of the best handling rifles I’ve encountered have been the old BPE rifles and the later doubles and magazine rifles. In that group I’d also put the early Mannlicher Schoenauers.

A poster above mentioned a slim stock and it’s true that so many rifle stocks would benefit from having a rasp taken to them. A lighter contour long barrel (typified by a Westley Richards 318 that I sadly no longer own) with weight between the hands produces a really dynamic, great handling rifle.

I haven’t gotten to handle one of the new Rigbys but I love what they’re doing and think it’s especially neat how they’ve continued the tradition of marrying the superlative German Mauser with their stocking and finishing. I appreciate the various upgrades but were I to order one, I’d insist on straight grained relatively plain walnut, an option for a steel butt plate like the original (or the option to leave the butt unfinished to have this done afterwards—simply personal preference but I don’t like the Silver’s type pads on light rifles). Most importantly I’d love to see them get away from the trigger bow magazine release in favor of the bullet plunger system of the original, and reproduce the diopter sight. I like the flag safety but appreciate that it’s a hassle with a scope.

I think the inherent beauty of the English magazine rifle is in its graceful and purposeful form, not engraving, case coloring or fancy wood

It’s great to see how appreciated these rifles are. The British gunmakers had an understanding of form and balance that hasn’t been exceeded. Some of the best handling rifles I’ve encountered have been the old BPE rifles and the later doubles and magazine rifles. In that group I’d also put the early Mannlicher Schoenauers.

A poster above mentioned a slim stock and it’s true that so many rifle stocks would benefit from having a rasp taken to them. A lighter contour long barrel (typified by a Westley Richards 318 that I sadly no longer own) with weight between the hands produces a really dynamic, great handling rifle.

I haven’t gotten to handle one of the new Rigbys but I love what they’re doing and think it’s especially neat how they’ve continued the tradition of marrying the superlative German Mauser with their stocking and finishing. I appreciate the various upgrades but were I to order one, I’d insist on straight grained relatively plain walnut, an option for a steel butt plate like the original (or the option to leave the butt unfinished to have this done afterwards—simply personal preference but I don’t like the Silver’s type pads on light rifles). Most importantly I’d love to see them get away from the trigger bow magazine release in favor of the bullet plunger system of the original, and reproduce the diopter sight. I like the flag safety but appreciate that it’s a hassle with a scope.

I think the inherent beauty of the English magazine rifle is in its graceful and purposeful form, not engraving, case coloring or fancy wood
"Beau" Brummel truly cast a long and tasteful shadow.

I found some pictures of the WR 318 I used to own. Would love to have it back. Long lightweight barrel, trim stock (this was barreled action takedown model).
F5660D04-ADE9-4D5C-8367-7FA795985124.jpeg
D0B13B5A-2024-4339-95B2-861E5F9F3ACA.jpeg
F114590D-CBC2-44FC-B231-1406950F8C94.jpeg
8326BD58-CE59-4F74-AAFE-746C6762EB25.jpeg

Hi Vagrouser,

Thank you to show us your great rifle! I like it a lot better than most "modern" ones!
Enjoy it!

bruce.

Bruce,
I’m a M70 fan but I would trade any of my custom M70’s for that Rigby. I guess I’m just a sentimental fool. And as to new rifles of that ilk, I am a huge fan of the Rigby Highland stalker and have no plans to ever part with ours.
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg