Ordered my LAST African Safari rifle at DSC this year...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Last year, when I went to SCI, I stopped at Wesley Richards booth as I wanted to place an order for a double and an extra barrel. They said they were all sold outand the earliest I could have one would be in 6 years, 2028 when I would be 71!!!.

That was not acceptable, and I was disappointed. Later on, at the Rigby booth, I talked to Jerome Lanue and he was telling me about his projects at Rigby. One was a development of a boxlock double like Rigby used to make a while ago. He said he would have it all figured out by this year's show.

Well, this year at DSC (wasn't going to wait for SCI) I made a beeline for Riby booth. Lo and behold, Jerome had a sample of one. I handled it and it was like the skies opened and an angel of light shined upon it.:giggle: Jerome told me that he was planning an initial run of 20 in .500 NE for them, and a few had already been reserved. I asked him if I could have one with an extra .450/400 barrel. He thought about it, and yes he could. He promised to have it ready for me in 2025.

I have a rule, never make a large purchase the same day I see something. I told Jerome I would think about it and would see him tomorrow. The next day I was there right away and ready to commit. We talked about the particulars during which @Red Leg showed up. I offered my credit card for deposit and Jerome stated that a handshake between gentlemen was enough and he would send me a written invoice for deposit at a later date. A handshake deal in this day and age, so refreshing.

I did try to talk @Red Leg into buying one as well, but to no avail. :ROFLMAO:

Since then we ironed out most of the details, I had picked number 11 as my number. I will spend a few days in London in June to get measured and we still need to decide on engraving, but we have time.

Oh, after DSC Jerome told me that all of them are sold now. Any new ones will be at least a 3 year delivery. Below are the build details. I decided to do my Lion hunt in 2025, and use the .500 NE barrel for bait and the .450/400 NE 3" for the lion.

1675523511011.png

Any pics of the new Shikari..?

Congratulations on the order @Tanks ! I'm as excited as you are to see this workmanship come to fruition.

When you receive your new WR double, will you then be retiring your Heym 500NE? I suppose you have had many a hunt with it, perhaps a nice place on a wall in your office?

All I can say is WOW. Good for you!
Bruce

Congratulations on the order @Tanks ! I'm as excited as you are to see this workmanship come to fruition.

When you receive your new WR double, will you then be retiring your Heym 500NE? I suppose you have had many a hunt with it, perhaps a nice place on a wall in your office?
Yeah, the Heym .500 NE will be retired. I will have two more years of hunting with it until the Rigby (not WR) arrives.

Nice.....looked on rigby website but couldn't see anything about it...
Jerome is afraid that if they put it on the site, then they will be inundated with orders. :ROFLMAO: They will most likely put it on their site after the shows are over.

I am sure he will bring the one they had developed to SCI. So, you could look and see it there.

Had the privilege of standing there and watching the deal consummated. To the credit of both parties, the deal was closed and entered into the order book with a handshake.

I was very impressed with the in the white prototype. Typical Rigby with beautifully flowing chamber walls into perfectly proportioned barrels and quarter rib. All the weight balanced right between the hands. It will be a very special thing when delivered.

Last year, when I went to SCI, I stopped at Wesley Richards booth as I wanted to place an order for a double and an extra barrel. They said they were all sold outand the earliest I could have one would be in 6 years, 2028 when I would be 71!!!.

That was not acceptable, and I was disappointed. Later on, at the Rigby booth, I talked to Jerome Lanue and he was telling me about his projects at Rigby. One was a development of a boxlock double like Rigby used to make a while ago. He said he would have it all figured out by this year's show.

Well, this year at DSC (wasn't going to wait for SCI) I made a beeline for Riby booth. Lo and behold, Jerome had a sample of one. I handled it and it was like the skies opened and an angel of light shined upon it.:giggle: Jerome told me that he was planning an initial run of 20 in .500 NE for them, and a few had already been reserved. I asked him if I could have one with an extra .450/400 barrel. He thought about it, and yes he could. He promised to have it ready for me in 2025.

I have a rule, never make a large purchase the same day I see something. I told Jerome I would think about it and would see him tomorrow. The next day I was there right away and ready to commit. We talked about the particulars during which @Red Leg showed up. I offered my credit card for deposit and Jerome stated that a handshake between gentlemen was enough and he would send me a written invoice for deposit at a later date. A handshake deal in this day and age, so refreshing.

I did try to talk @Red Leg into buying one as well, but to no avail. :ROFLMAO:

Since then we ironed out most of the details, I had picked number 11 as my number. I will spend a few days in London in June to get measured and we still need to decide on engraving, but we have time.

Oh, after DSC Jerome told me that all of them are sold now. Any new ones will be at least a 3 year delivery. Below are the build details. I decided to do my Lion hunt in 2025, and use the .500 NE barrel for bait and the .450/400 NE 3" for the lion.

View attachment 515286

Can’t wait to see pictures when you get it.

Where did you decide to go for lion?

Can’t wait to see pictures when you get it.

Where did you decide to go for lion?
I am still thinking Zambia, but have not picked an outfitter yet. I was going to do it in 2024 and decided to wait for this rifle. I will most likely book it next year for 2025. Jerome promised me that the rifle will be ready for a July/August hunt.

Good thing is I don't have to worry about getting used to the recoil of a .500. Just sight the rifle in and go. If I have time I will develop some handloads if not Hornady factory should do the trick.

Also, theoretically if my handloads work on my Heym .500 that was regulated for Hornady then they should work on the Rigby that will be regulated with the same ammo. I will of course verify. The .450/400 I have no idea where to even start. I guess the first step would be to buy some dies and components. :unsure:

Last edited:
All I can say is I am jealous:Grumpy:! Congratz on getting a new and special double ordered. Jerome is a gentleman and easy to work with. Already looking forward to seeing pictures of it and sitting on top of a lion.

I really feel Rigby are one of the best companies out there, congratulations on this rifle and 2 barrel set. I can't wait to see it. The only thing better than a dream rifle is putting a dream rifle to work in the field.

This is amazing To hear!

@Tanks first huge congratulations! Looking forward to seeing pictures. Second, LAST African Safari Rifle, all I can say is HA! We know something else will come along to entice you just like the sirens of old.

Well done Tanks, the double of a lifetime! I particularly like the doll's head. Not to forget the front end lever. I like it all! Will you get a front night too?

WOW! A dream rifle coming true for you! Well done Sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.