Open Sight Improvements

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Evening (well it is here),
I have semi buckhorn sights on me Uberti 1885, I've read various odds and sods about open sights but a lot of it is target shooting based.
I like the sights on it but what I'm after is to increase gathered light and have a bit more precision aswell.
John Taylor mentioned about angling the back (express) sight forward to gather more light which seems sound advice but obviously he had a big front bead for DG.
I could slim the blade down for precision but then it's harder t see.

Anyone have any advice for improving open sights?

Have you considered a tang peep rear sight to go with your existing front blade?
With same, you could use a larger aperture to let in more light / target acquisition.

I have had a look but wasn't keen on my eye being that close to the sight since the rifle is in a heavy recoiling calibre when loaded up some.
They do look perfect otherwise though

I have had a look but wasn't keen on my eye being that close to the sight since the rifle is in a heavy recoiling calibre when loaded up some.

That is an excellent point.
The copy of a Sharps heavy target rifle that I once had was only in .45-70 and it weighed 13 pound so, recoil was not a serious consideration.
Now that you have pointed it out, I agree that your High-Wall in the more powerful cartridge would be a concern with any sight placed too close to the eye.

Current thoughts are to paint the aft face of the blade white or maybe dayglo (don't know if I can do that to such a nice rifle though, so most likely white)
From there I may angle the rear sight forward.
I'm just concerned about overcast days in woods in the UK being a bit dim for the old girl.
I doubt i'd have such problems in SA.

Evening (well it is here),
I have semi buckhorn sights on me Uberti 1885, I've read various odds and sods about open sights but a lot of it is target shooting based.
I like the sights on it but what I'm after is to increase gathered light and have a bit more precision aswell.
John Taylor mentioned about angling the back (express) sight forward to gather more light which seems sound advice but obviously he had a big front bead for DG.
I could slim the blade down for precision but then it's harder t see.

Anyone have any advice for improving open sights?

Yep, buy a scope!!:LOL:

But no seriously. Open sights are generally better for those with young eyes or really good glasses. I have neither. I do strangely still shoot pretty well with open Express type sights, but on my most recent hunt I took a Model 95 Winchester (Miroku) in .405 Win with a Williams Fool Proof peep sight which I found I could shoot better than the factory opens. For all the shooting I did I could have done fine with no sights!:D One critter at under 50 yards!:eek: I have a Rossi M92 in .44-40 with opens that I can shoot really well at 50 yards though, buckhorn style at that.:confused:

My ropey eyes won't allow me to use open sights but back in the day an Ivory front bead was used. A bit of white paint would not be too much sacrilege.

For some reason I can't post what I wanted to write.
I think white nail polish or maybe glitter gold on the aft edge of the blade should do nicely. The gold may help with light a little more

i have two .458 lotts with peep sights and havent managed to impale myself on them so far..........;)

Firstly, cheers Spike, I won't write that idea off yet.
Secondly, let's have a look :)

i have two .458 lotts with peep sights and havent managed to impale myself on them so far..........;)

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with something like this on my new Lott. I just know I don't want a scope on it.

Firstly, cheers Spike, I won't write that idea off yet.
Secondly, let's have a look :)

not a great photo with my phone

IMG00626-20130804-2004.jpg

Nice rifle that mate. Used it in anger at all?
I see you have a receiver sight on there. That may work nicely over the tang arrangement we talked about earlier :)
I'll give them a google

Not the Puku!!! You're a brave man, I've heard they're called 'the golden brown death' ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg