Offhand vs. Sticks

Be cool to try making a pare from carbon fishing rod blanks most of the rod building supply places will sell blank seconds cheap. Some looking around you could probably find some that are straighter and not to tapered and not to thick.

Being a ground hunter I'd like to try making a short set maybe under 3 foot long, I think that would work nice for when I'm sitting looking over a spot with farther shots.

I had never shot with sticks before my first African hunt.
I met my future professional hunter at a Game Coin convention in San Antonio, where I had been invited by John Buhmiller, my mentor as far as African Hunting was concerned. The late David Williams, of Ker, Downey and Selby, Nairobi, was my choice and I had no reason to regret it.
Dave followed me to Nashville on his way back to Nairobi, and had a chance to look over my proposed African battery and get an idea of my shooting skills from my collection of medals and trophies which I had amassed over the years. Of course, he had no opportunity to observe me in the hunting field.
At that time I had had no experience with shooting from a rest, except at varmints and very little with deer hunting, which was the only "big game hunting" I had any experience with, so I was still a question mark with Dave when I arrived in Nairobi. He wisely decided to put me to a test.
We were driving along a back country gravel road, when he suddenly stopped and indicated an animal standing in a field on his side of the Land Cruiser. He said, "We need some camp meat for the staff. Why don't you collect that kongoni?" I didn't know what a kongoni was (althouogh I knew what it was by its Afrikaans name, hartebeest,) but I readily agreed. I baled out of the car, took my rifle, a Model 70 Winchester .300 H&H Magnum, and followed my gun bearer, who was carrying a tripod, the first I had seen. It consisted of three long peeled saplings, held together at one end by a long strip of inner tube rubber. We walked toward the animal, taking advantage of what little cover there was, and when we reached what the gun bearer evidently thought was an appropriate range, he stopped and set up the tripod. I had never used one before, but I quickly grasped how it was to be used and laid my rifle across it, with the support about under the magazine, so that I could use a natural standing opsition, with my left hand out on the rifle's fore end.
I lined up the shot and fired and was gratified to see the animal go down. However, I was smoewhat shocked when we walked up to the downed beast, since the distance, as I paced it off, was close to 300 yards. Fortunatelyt, the flat shooting .300 H&H made up for my faulty range estimation.
I realized later that Dave, who had never exited the hunting car, was observing closely, trying to learn as much as possible about the stranger he was to be guiding for the next five weeks.
Evidently I passed his test, because he placed no limitations on the ranges I later took shots, and I had little difficulty with the larger African game animals. The smaller ones gave me problems, since at first I had a tendancy to over estimate the range and aim too high, which resulted in some embarrasing misses, until I caught on to estimating range correctly with them, as well.
The photo was taken on my second hunt, in Tanzania, when I was again hunting for camp meat, this time an impala. At the shot, all three of us, Dave, Kaoli and I, saw all four feet of the impala I was aiming at go streight up in the air, so imagine our surprize, when we found no trace of the animal, when we walked down to collect him. The only explanation we could think of was that once again I had allowed too much for drop and shot high and in the process fired a shot which grazed the spine, but was not fatal.
In my eleven weeks of hunting with Dave, on three separate trips, I used the support every time Dave thought it appropriate, with, except for this one exception, gratifying results. On the other hand, I took unsupported shots at greater and lesser kudu, water buck, oryx and sable antelope with success.
I took only one shot prone, at an eland at about 300 yards, and one shot sitting, at a Cape buffalo at about 150 yards, but everything else was unsupported. I have to attribute my years of International skeet shooting, with its emphasis on rapid target acquisition and trigger control as being more useful in that regard than my years of shooting standing, unsupported on the rifle range.
The photo illustrates perfectly my technique in using the home made tripod.

Krieghoff safari 012.jpg

Last edited:
I had never shot with sticks before my first African hunt.
I met my future professional hunter at a Game Coin convention in San Antonio, where I had been invited by John Buhmiller, my mentor as far as African Hunting was concerned. The late David Williams, of Ker, Downey and Selby, Nairobi, was my choice and I had no reason to regret it.
Dave followed me to Nashville on his way back to Nairobi, and had a chance to look over my proposed African battery and get an idea of my shooting skills from my collection of medals and trophies which I had amassed over the years. Of course, he had no opportunity to observe me in the hunting field.
At that time I had had no experience with shooting from a rest, except at varmints and very little with deer hunting, which was the only "big game hunting" I had any experience with, so I was still a question mark with Dave when I arrived in Nairobi. He wisely decided to put me to a test.
We were driving along a back country gravel road, when he suddenly stopped and indicated an animal standing in a field on his side of the Land Cruiser. He said, "We need some camp meat for the staff. Why don't you collect that kongoni?" I didn't know what a kongoni was (althouogh I knew what it was by its Afrikaans name, hartebeest,) but I readily agreed. I baled out of the car, took my rifle, a Model 70 Winchester .300 H&H Magnum, and followed my gun bearer, who was carrying a tripod, the first I had seen. It consisted of three long peeled saplings, held together at one end by a long strip of inner tube rubber. We walked toward the animal, taking advantage of what little cover there was, and when we reached what the gun bearer evidently thought was an appropriate range, he stopped and set up the tripod. I had never used one before, but I quickly grasped how it was to be used and laid my rifle across it, with the support about under the magazine, so that I could use a natural standing opsition, with my left hand out on the rifle's fore end.
I lined up the shot and fired and was gratified to see the animal go down. However, I was smoewhat shocked when we walked up to the downed beast, since the distance, as I paced it off, was close to 300 yards. Fortunatelyt, the flat shooting .300 H&H made up for my faulty range estimation.
I realized later that Dave, who had never exited the hunting car, was observing closely, trying to learn as much as possible about the stranger he was to be guiding for the next five weeks.
Evidently I passed his test, because he placed no limitations on the ranges I later took shots, and I had little difficulty with the larger African game animals. The smaller ones gave me problems, since at first I had a tendancy to over estimate the range and aim too high, which resulted in some embarrasing misses, until I caught on to estimating range correctly with them, as well.
The photo was taken on my second hunt, in Tanzania, when I was again hunting for camp meat, this time an impala. At the shot, all three of us, Dave, Kaoli and I, saw all four feet of the impala I was aiming at go streight up in the air, so imagine our surprize, when we found no trace of the animal, when we walked down to collect him. The only explanation we could think of was that once again I had allowed too much for drop and shot high and in the process fired a shot which grazed the spine, but was not fatal.
In my eleven weeks of hunting with Dave, on three separate trips, I used the support every time Dave thought it appropriate, with, except for this one exception, gratifying results. On the other hand, I took unsupported shots at greater and lesser kudu, water buck, oryx and sable antelope with success.
I took only one shot prone, at an eland at about 300 yards, and one shot sitting, at a Cape buffalo at about 150 yards, but everything else was unsupported. I have to attribute my years of International skeet shooting, with its emphasis on rapid target acquisition and trigger control as being more useful in that regard than my years of shooting standing, unsupported on the rifle range.
The photo illustrates perfectly my technique in using the home made tripod.

View attachment 584415
My dad and his coworker at the dam built this 30-06 Springfield in 1962. Two years later when Dad built a second one, this became my gun. It's still my primary hunting rifle. The coworker was also an accomplished gunsmith and good friend of barrel maker John Buhmiller. I met Mr. Buhmiller at Earl's shop once and vividly remember one of his huge buffalo skulls hanging over the window behind the lathe. It had a big bullet hole right below the bosses in the middle of its forehead. That skull started my lifelong fascination with African hunting. I wish I'd asked for the story. Later, in the early seventies, I worked with Buhmiller's grandson on a Forest Service survey crew in NW Montana. Nice fella. You must be getting up there in years. Dad would have been a hundred this year. He's been gone since 1999 and Earl died several years earlier.
17056199355017239460746667871538.jpg

I would use the shooting sticks. The pictures I’ve seen from Africa indicate to me that the terrain is not friendly to kneeling or prone. Take every opportunity to get a rest.

I’d like to make a correction to an inaccurate comment above regarding 4 leg sticks. While a pivot with 4 leg sticks “could” be done by lifting the whole contraption of the ground, that is the incorrect method. Since a 4 leg stick setup has only 2 points of contact with the ground, the easiest and fastest way to pívot is to hold the front stick with your forward hand and lean slightly to pivot on one leg. That way the sticks stay on the ground and a pivot is quickly done. With practice, it is very quick. Without practice for a new user of 4 leg sticks… it is quite clumsy.

Main point: practice with what you will use.

I prefer tripod sticks for closer shots. 4 leg sticks are superior for farther shots and for neck or head shooting game.

Since both styles of sticks are relatively cheap, anyone with big hunting plans should just get both! A box of DG ammo is about the same cost as a set of sticks.

There are some really great replies here...lot of hard won wisdom that can help anyone. Learn to use the sticks in a variety of situations. Get away from the bench! Your success will increase in the field.

One thing that really matters is being ready as the shooter when the sticks get set up. Don't be 3 steps away...be right there ready to go. Set up quickly and quietly and get ready for that shot. Let the PH locate the animal and guide you to it. Be able to find an animal and that's not always simple! So often the PH will be spending precious seconds or minutes trying to tell the client where the animal is. Lots of wasted opportunities. Get faster and more efficient with all of it. I can tell when my PH or tracker is setting up for a shot and I am right THERE waiting for them to move to the side. They don't have to talk or signal to me...I'm on the sticks smooth and fast. I'm not messing with the scope...I'm not making noise or movement...I've got my feet in a good place with some ability to move or rotate a bit if needed. I'm slowing my heart rate and calming the breathing...it's all important and it's all on me to get it done.

Another important thing is being ready to move if the sticks need to go left or right or forward more. Many times you get on the sticks and the animals move...or the wind changes...be ready to adjust quickly.
That's great advice, Chile!

Yep. Especially true after bragging up your off hand shooting ability before even starting your trip. Big audience- PH, skinners, trackers, other hunters… Expensive trip, time and energy planning. Impressive animals you’ve never seen or hunted before. Sure, what could go wrong.
I asked a question. I didn't brag up anything. I asked you guys for your advice about sticks or offhand. I guess we are done.

I´m not comfortable with these quadsticks, and prefer those shown by Tally Ho, just keep it simple.

I have also shot offhand, at running animals, off my PH´s shoulder, kneeling, off a backpack, depends of the situation .
8DC42E4E-CF95-482A-A3D0-C1BA05DAF622.jpeg

My rifle, not my sticks. I’ve always used the PH’s tripod, adjustable for height, like Tally Ho mentions. This is west of Lake Natron on top of the rift valley wall, near the Serengeti NP border, and amongst the longest distance shooting I’ve done in Africa.

View attachment 584493
My rifle, not my sticks. I’ve always used the PH’s tripod, adjustable for height, like Tally Ho mentions. This is west of Lake Natron on top of the rift valley wall, near the Serengeti NP border, and amongst the longest distance shooting I’ve done in Africa.
That is WIDE open. What were you hunting there? Average shot distance?

I'm just curious as to the use of sticks for these close in shots. I would think you could simply shoot off hand and drop the critter at that range. Especially with these big heavy rifles that hold very steadily.

Anyway, just curious....
First shot on this video would have been tough off-hand even though the distance was about 30 yards. I had to thread the needle and sticks made it easier.

I shot my last ele from sticks as well...through a herd of bulls to the back of the herd about 40 yards out. I could have done it off hand but was glad for the sticks!

I prefer sticks anything is better than nothing, most hunting situations requires the hunter to be in a state of readiness waiting for an animal to clear other animals or brush or turn to a safe angle for a good shot, and sticks will be a good help for the hunter to be in a ready position for the shot , off hand would make a big movement to through up the rifle for the shot that could be seen by the target or other nearby game witch is often the case in Africa and be spooked,

sticks are also handy to beat Black mambas and other snakes with that get to close and also give a good rest/place to safely hang a rifle while taking a rest or doing something were rifle is not needed.

Perhaps if you've been doing High Power rifle matches you might be able to sling up lickety split when just the right animal offers you that narrow window for a shot.

But I doubt it.
Maybe I spent too much time reading Jeff Cooper, but I'll leave this right here:

Attachments

• Safari Ching Sling.pdf
    358.7 KB · Views: 38
I have stayed out of this one, but read with interest. Everyone and every situation is different. For me, what works best is to I simply tell my PH when I want to use the sticks - whatever type they are. I would guess 75% of the animals that I have taken outside the US were taken off sticks. Probably half the remainder were taken off hasty rests like back packs or trees. Half of the remainder were taken in sitting or prone position using a hasty sling. That leaves something over 10% that were taken offhand. Probably 70% of those were in driven hunts in Europe. The remainder were quick close shots wherever.

I have stayed out of this one, but read with interest. Everyone and every situation is different. For me, what works best is to I simply tell my PH when I want to use the sticks - whatever type they are. I would guess 75% of the animals that I have taken outside the US were taken off sticks. Probably half the remainder were taken off hasty rests like back packs or trees. Half of the remainder were taken in sitting or prone position using a hasty sling. That leaves something over 10% that were taken offhand. Probably 70% of those were in driven hunts in Europe. The remainder were quick close shots wherever.
Yep, like I said, get good at sticks and there are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. If you ever hunt bushpigs over hounds you won‘t be using sticks…

My final comment is that one should practice off-hand, with a hasty sling and sticks. My longest shot at an elephant was at 55 meters with a hasty sling, shortest off-hand at 15 meters while it was charging and several with sticks or off-hand/hasty sling in distances between.

Plains game? Other than a hyena at 50 yards, off-hand all of the others have been with sticks or a natural rest.

So, just practice all methods of projectile delivery. Penalty for a wounding and losing a DG animal can be in tens of thousands of dollars. ;)

When you're in the zone, offhand can be magic...but jet lagged in Africa, with unexplained jitters, while shooting at expensive animals--the sticks cancel some of the jitters IMO.

I would use the shooting sticks. The pictures I’ve seen from Africa indicate to me that the terrain is not friendly to kneeling or prone. Take every opportunity to get a rest.
If You're out there in the bush, ready for shooting, there is in the most cases a long pre-story means, You were first flying there, driving there, going out searching for game, tracking game, stalking game and then observing game. All this makes You hot, so hot that You are in a shaking condition like a mixer due to hunting fever. And it comes over You when You should be calm and focused to do the perfect shot on Your dream trophy.
There is a lot of sense that the PH is carrying those sticks, because he knows what comes, before You even think about.
Do me a favor (and the game you are shooting at) ignore Your ego and use those sticks. The cold beer afterwards will taste much better, when the hunt was successful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you