Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Nam, Zim, Mos, Oz and RSA
So this is it, 3 months planning is coming together nicely. Just finishing up 4000l of Cabernet Sauvignon that I have to bottle before leaving for 10 days hunting in Mos! Tomorrow I will be catching a plane from Cape Town to Johannesburg where I will meet up with my dad. From Johannesburg we will be traveling to Beira and another 5 hours driving we will be relaxing on the tranquil shores of the mighty Zambezi River. Dad got his heart set on a 12 foot or better croc and I will be tramping the swamps for a dagga boy. I am so exited! Got convinced by Pop to convert to BarnesX on the 416 Rigby. I know they will perform well but will miss the old Woodleighs that has just the right amount of blue showing. They performed admirably on my first buffalo. Dad is packing a 404 Jeffrey and 300 Win Mag. A lethal arsenal for any African country I am sure. So hopefully in 15 days time I will have a report to share with all the AH members.

Good luck, don`t forget to take loads of pictures for us!!

I hope you have a excellent hunt! Can't wait to hear some stories and pictures!

Good hunting to the both of you! Bring back some nice trophies and hope you will take some pictures for us!

Wish you all the luck !

Pictures, pictures, pictures, please :)

May you have a great time and take some pictures to bring back.

Now if you get on track and secure the great trophy take a few pictures to post on the forum.

Andries, good luck on your hunt.

Take a few bottles of your best grape juice to celebrate and replace that sweat from the swamp hunting.

ONLY 4000 bottles, you should have that done in no time. :)

Good Luck on your hunt we'll be looking forward to the report and the pics.

Back!

Well I am back alive. The story will follow suite as soon as I finish ploughing through another 36000l of bottling. It just never stops! As they say: I hit the ground running...just not fast enough. But it is not the perfect story. One of the nicest places I have hunted as well as the toughest.

Welcome back "alive"!

Glad you made it back alive.

If you want to reduce your work load a little just leave some of that wine in a cask for me!

Uh oh.....

Glad to hear you made it back OK looking forward to the Story and pics.

I do not want to be one of those clients to complain about hunts but would love some opinions on this one. My dad and I had a wonderful hunt and the area was breath taking beautiful as well as challenging. But what does concern me is the fact that one week prior to flying we was informed that we hat to share the camp. I was not happy and there was made great efforts by the outfit to erect a camp for us. Very nice indeed. I was told the area was vast (580000ha) and there is more then enough room for two hunters. On arrival there was no shortages on luxuries as far as a tented camp is concerned. But on the first day of hunting we found out that we were indeed three clients hunting the same concession. As big as the area may be there is only so much river and only as many crocs. We could not find any buff in the area they were meant to be as there were 3 shot by the other camp and it was clear the animals had move from this area. This was the reason it took so long to locate the buff and at every bodies frustration. I shot the only buffalo I saw on my last afternoon. It was a cow and honestly I pulled the trigger and I do not blame my host and fantastic PH Johan Smith for my mistake. Personally I feel that the outfit should have informed my about the booking mistake. I am sure that I would have postponed the hunt or if not possible cancelled with hopefully a full deposit refund. Well the outfit are still in their beginning years and are acquire the adjacent area with a bit more plains game like sable. As I said Johan, wife and son run a fantastic camp. There is some homework to do as well get their admin in order. I hope to hunt his new area with him next year. But for now I will dream of a big buff bull in the near future. I have shot two bulls and would have like another. But I can say this is the most nerve taunting buff hunt ever. PS the 416Rgby loaded with Barnes X are buff medicine!!
I have a day bay day account of the hunt but will post it at a later date if any are interested to hunt this area. I will also include some very important kit recommendations.

I think you have a legit complaint. Money doesn't grow on trees and you should have been told how many clients were hunting in the area.

New hunting areas are either hit or miss, depends on how many roads are in the area, and how well the area has been scouted.

I do not want to be one of those clients to complain about hunts but.....
You have an issue, raise it and maybe we can all learn something.

But what does concern me is the fact that one week prior to flying we was informed that we had to share the camp. I was not happy....... I was told the area was vast (580000ha) and there is more then enough room for two hunters.
So, they change the plan and you are placated/reassured into accepting the radical change in the booking because of the personal fantasy of large wide open spaces after being hidden in the wine cellar for a year.

At worst:A great bait and switch tactic in marketing. Already keyed up to go, booked flights, time off...
A huge pain to change plans and you are actually stuck going.
At best:You assume this was not an intentional booking.
Well the outfit are still in their beginning years ...... There is some homework to do as well get their admin in order.

Personally I feel that the outfit should have informed me about the booking mistake. I am sure that I would have postponed the hunt or if not possible cancelled with hopefully a full deposit refund.

Ok, you confuse me here. You were informed, very short notice though. Perhaps the issue should have been raised right then. (Of course noting the above predilection pushing you out of the wine cellar.)

I shot the only buffalo I saw on my last afternoon. It was a cow and honestly I pulled the trigger and I do not blame my host and fantastic PH Johan Smith for my mistake.
Agree there. More buffalo might have moderated your trigger happy nature though. :)

I hope to hunt his new area with him next year......
Well, you are not disturbed enough to not rebook. I guess you are going with the "best cases scenario". It will be interesting to here if the result of the next hunt is better.

Look forward to the rest of the story.

But what does concern me is the fact that one week prior to flying we was informed that we hat to share the camp... on the first day of hunting we found out that we were indeed three clients hunting the same concession...

Andries, Before booking your hunting safari, did you discuss with the outfitter / PH the possibility of them having other hunters in camp / hunting in the same concession during the time that you will be hunting with them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!