Numzaan Safari hunting in March 2018....worried about extra charges

2nd Trophy besides Impala

• Total voters
Dave for a basic 7 day safari that's pretty cheap including two animals.

I don't think anyone can honestly comment on the prices, without seeing the auction package put on auction. Often the fine print isn't read.

But I would strongly recommend at least trying to take 4 to 5 animals. Long way to travel for 2 pretty common animals.

Enjoy your safari.

+1

I can see where you would be less excited about this safari with the added costs. I personally hate airport transport costs, Phonex Phil knows what he's talking about when the commute is a long one. Where the hunt is booked and bought so to say any of the fees on their web site are going to apply. That being said, sometimes they are negotiable before booking.
I will agree that you really should try to raise a little more money for 3-4 animals. You noted the $1200 airfare. If you take 2 animals that $600 per. If you take 4 it drops to $300/animal. More bang for your buck so to speak. Good luck and enjoy your hunt. Bruce

I'm pretty sure Numzaan takes credit cards. I would put a springbok and throw a duiker on there as well. Enjoy it man, take pictures and send them to your ex wife. The shipping bill is a little ways off and should not be too bad. You are only going to go to Africa for the first time once.

Dave, in my experience there is ALWAYS going to be some extra charges or unexpected expenses in any hunting trip period. So I suggest that you are wise to try and sort out as much of that as you can now, but dont let it ruin your trip. As someone else already mentioned buying hunts at auctions, etc is usually risky and hard to tell exactly what you are getting when you are bidding. It usually is a promo thing form the outfitter trying to drum up some business and from his standpoint to try and not loose money on the deal.
You will find in africa all of the animals on that list pretty common and you could very easily kill your 2 animals in one morning, then what do you do for the other days??
The african safari business model is based on making money off the animals you kill and/or day fees and other misc fees. All businesses need to make a profit so if you arent killing animals no money for them from that then they hit you with the day fees and other fees like the airport transfers Which I think he is charging way too much for especially if that is per each one of the 4 of you in the group??
Maybe you can work out something with a charge card, etc and get a few more cost effective animals?? I would shoot blesbuck and spring buck all day before a duiker or steenbuck as they are minnows with tiny horns wont make a very impressive trophy on the wall at home. I have a record book duiker and steenbuck and to me they are a none event and i call them minnows dont waste your money on them if you have limited funds. talk honestly with the outfitter and see what you can work out and get it in WRITING!
Have fun write a report and by all means send the ex wifey some kill shots.

Dave,
You can't hardly pay that little for any guided hunt in the lower 48! I am assuming you will be hunting around Thambazimbi, which is 8 hours round trip, in the transfer fees is typically inclusive of arrival day and departure day at the lodge, the driver will probably accommodate stopping at a curio shop so you can buy gifts, I'm sure that request alone makes them cringe! I look at it in the same way I do my time, what would I expect to be paid for 8-10 hours of my time? Damn sure more than 180 bucks for sure. Most auction hunts are not bargins, I have been on two, one okay and the other good.
Just go have fun, sell a rifle or two if you have to. Don't let a few bucks get in the way or ruin your trip. You only have one first time at everything you do, make the most out of it. These outfits are donating these hunts banking on the additional trophy fees, they have to pay their bills also. As long as you communicate with your outfitter you will know the costs ahead of time and their shouldn't be any surprises. Quit stressing and go enjoy yourself! I always blame my ex wife for everything too! Lol
Cheers,
Cody

Dave - You're getting good advice. Enjoy the hunt and take more than one animal. Take hundreds of pics each day too. The food is likely to be amazing as well and your days will be filled with amazing sights and sounds. I still remember my first night in the same area you'll be...and being awoken by, of all things, freakin' impalas...then jackals... You'll have the time of your life. I just wish I'd taken out a loan and gone 20 years earlier. Oh yeah, and I'm headed back next year.

I would most definitely take a credit card with a some room on it. Lots of good advice here, to far to travel without having some serious fun.

On what other type of animal, give them your list of animals in budget and tell them you want whichever shows up first and is extraordinary. I just got back for my first trip and the only animal I "had" to have was a Kudu. I ended up spending my Kudu money on Zebra and hartebeest and I'd do it again. They were great trophies and now I "NEED" to go back and get my kudu. Same for the blesbuck I took, wasn't on my list of possibles, but I told the PH to point out any "you'd be stupid not to" animals and I could figure out if I could rearrange my budget or "list" to take it. I ended up dropping warthog off to take the blesbuck (plus a few $$). In the end I was in budget and super happy.

Here is the story to clarify:

My best friend won the hunting trip at an auction at an event in Alaska. It is for 4 of us to go. We arrive on 3/20 and drive to camp, hunt 21st-25th, then they take us back to airport on 26th. So total hunting days is 5 days. The daily hunting rates were included with the auction rates at 2 hunters to 1 PH.

The costs they are telling me im personally responsible for is: trophy fees or anything I shoot or wound (standard), airport to and from shuttle, conservation fee, dip and pack through their organization (actually its a different company they use). They do have a minimum of 2 animals hunted or charged a $260 non-hunter daily rate. So if you shoot 2 or more, your daily rate is covered by auction...if you only shoot one you are charged non-hunter daily rate which isn't included in auction. TIPS are not included either and I am aware these will be extra charge for me to come up with.

So just the airport shuttle, conservation fee, and rifle rental is $452.58 then have to add cost of the trophy animals taken and their dip and pack as well as buying the ammo from outfitter at $5.52 a shot.

So by that logic, total cost to hunt an impala and Springbok would be $2049.02 with 2 rounds of ammo. Impala and Blesbuck is $2104.02....

As you can see, this adds up and not what I expected before booking or agreeing to this.

Bargain! Add more animals!

I appreciate everyone's input on this, especially since its my first time hunting overseas. When I agreed to go it was likely a miscommunication on many parties as to what costs were there and what was included in the package they bought at auction.

Having had some time to reflect on what all of you have said, as well as reading as many posts on here as I can (work is slow and gotta do something!) I am comfortable that with borrowing from family and busting my ass saving every dime I can between now and March 18th, ill be ok.

In reviewing some other threads on here, I am seeing more and more people doing less taxidermy and doing more photos. While originally I only planned to get an Impala, with the addition of another animal I may review the taxidermy options. Warthog or Porcupine are lower price than other animals...so that is an option. If I did a porcupine (my buddy is planning on that one for sure) id be only wanting to bring back some quills and not mess with dip/packing or mounting the entire thing. If I got a Warthog, only the tusks would be considered to be brought back. That likely will help with shipping and dip/pack costs.

Just trying to ensure I minimize surprise costs before arriving so I don't get into a bad situation halfway around the world.

I likely would've never gotten to Africa if I hadn't gotten divorced! Excellent trade-off in my opinion! I also think you should try your best to hunt at least four animals. The Impala, Springbok and Blesbok are reasonable and then you could also add in a Warthog. And don't ever pass up a chance to pop a Baboon! Super fun and they have such a cool skull. Of my six animals, people comment on the baboon skull the most. Have fun!

Dave, please take also in consideration that some animals can be hunted with good certainty of successful hunt.
For some animals is difficult and not always certain. Hunt is hunt.
I am writing this as I am not sure where the porcupine stands in certainty department.

In my hunt 7 days, I saw only one. And at some distance.
we did not look for one (porcupine), so it was just a stroke of luck.

So this is one question to ask your outfiter or PH.
What are the chances of success for this or another species to hunt?

(springbok, hartebeest, jackal, warthog, baboon, oryx were seen regularly to give you opposite example)

If you're planning on bringing your trophies back, you should really consider more animals. If you go with the cheapest/lightest/smallest form of taxidermy- euro mounts, the shipping difference between 1 trophy and 4 is probably negligible. You should definitely keep in mind that taxidermy/shipping/customs fees/etc. is going to be about the same cost as your safari itself- since your safari is on the cheap end, it could actually be more expensive.

... You should definitely keep in mind that taxidermy/shipping/customs fees/etc. is going to be about the same cost as your safari itself- since your safari is on the cheap end, it could actually be more expensive.

:E Shocked:

I'm going on my first hunt in Africa in April and have been concerned about the "extra fees" as well. I've come to the conclusion that my perception of what goes into the hunt is different than the PH or outfitter. For me, the hunt starts when I get on the plane here in the US and ends when I return home AND all the animals arrive from the taxidermist. The PH/Outfitter's perception is that the hunt starts when he picks me up at the airport in Africa and ends when he returns me to the airport in Africa (although he also has be sure the hides get to the dip & pack folks). It took me awhile to realize that the PH has no control over most of what I consider "The Hunt" thus, the dip & pack, shipping, taxidermy, customs, etc. I was seeing as "extra fees" since they weren't on the contract. I have had several emails to & from the PH and feel that he is being honest and upfront with me on all things. However, he's been doing this for many years and knows what is "normal" or "standard" and may not realize that I don't know to ask and since this is my first time, I don't even know what questions I should be asking. So - this forum has been very helpful in that regard. When I've come across something, I've sent an email off to him for his thoughts. Sometimes, it takes a while for an answer because he's out hunting with a client. (I take that as a good sign since I want him focusing on my hunt and not a future client when I'm there).

So, bottom line: I'm researching as much as I can, reading as much as I can and asking questions when I realize I don't know. I'm hoping I encounter all the questions & issues before I go, but I'm also preparing for the situation where I missed something. I'm expecting to have a marzelous time and am working on building a cushion for the "I just gotta have that too." while I'm in Africa, whether it be another animal, tour, or curio. A few more dollars is insignificant in the scope of the whole trip. Since I now know about dip & pack, & shipping, etc. I'm pursing those suppliers to see what needs to be done in that area and what their costs are likely to be. For my hunt in April 2018, I'm hoping that I will have all my animals back from the taxidermy by the end of 2019, but am not holding my breath for that to happen by then.

By the way - I'll be in Namibia, south of Windhoek and the transfer from and to the airport is on the contract as a line item. If I remember right it works out to about $70/hour for 2 people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some how some way just find a way to hunt a few extra animals and worry about cost later. Just don’t go hog wild. You will forever regret not doing it. Someday life will settle down and you will be able to look back and say I’m glad I did it. Life is full of regrets don’t add this one to the list!

I agree with the advice so far. Figure out how to take four or so animals even if it requires payments. You are already in for the travel costs which is the worst part. I also found Euro mounts in Africa to be much less expensive than in the states and the quality was good. Same with tanned hides. If you can get your trophies and your hunting companions in the same crate you can split shipping charges and save a bit of money that way. Please make sure to account for reasonable tips for PH and staff though as they depend on hunter's tips as an important source of their income.

I just returned from my first safari in August. It started very much like yours. My uncle bought a hunt at DSC convention and took me and three other family members. At the bargain price he got I would take Impala, Warthog, and Blue Wildebeest for about $1200. Great price! But with airfare, tips, taxidermy, and other charges( which were all legitimate and disclosed) I would end up with $3-3500 in the trip. I had about 7 months to plan and I chose to scrape and save and even sold a few things and added a Kudu and Gemsbok. They were always my #1 and #2 wishlist animals and I decided if I was going to spend $3 or $4000 and 16 hours on a plane I was going to get them.
I would also always consider euro mounts and hides as they are very good trophies and much more affordable.
It was the greatest trip I’ve ever taken and don’t regret a single thing I sold or did with out to go and take those trophies.
That said if you absolutely can’t do more than two, the choice will be all yours as everyone sees trophies differently. I personally never planned on an Impala and thought of them as filler or “common” game. After 5 days of watching them I loved them. Probably my second favorite trophy. I personally would add the Springbok especially based on where your going. But you may get over there and see a blesbok and decide you HAVE to have one. Just hunt, take what you like and enjoy the adventure.

Even though I've only been to Africa once, everything I've read here is good solid advise. Above all else, take the time to enjoy the experience. The sights, you won't believe the animals and country you will see, the sounds, the smells, the people, the food, and the company around the fire in the evenings. It might take awhile to realize that you are actually in Africa, revel in it. There is nothing like your first trip there. You will have the time of your life, especially if you are sharing the experience with friends. Trust me, you will start saving for your next trip as soon as you get home. Have fun. Philip

@Dave Zimmerman
Be comfortable with what you can afford and as others have said save / sell / whatever to get your best bang for your money. And, be open to which trophy walks out that you suddenly go I have to have it. Before I went on my first safari I knew nothing about bush buck. When I got there and saw one, I had to have it. So be a bit flexible vs. just looking at each animal's trophy fee. Find your total budget for trophy fees, then take what you like best as you see them. And, shipping / taxidermy fees will probably be 6 - 9 months out, so you can save for that after you get back. And, as soon as you get back you will start figuring out how to save and go again!
John

Here is the story to clarify:

My best friend won the hunting trip at an auction at an event in Alaska. It is for 4 of us to go. We arrive on 3/20 and drive to camp, hunt 21st-25th, then they take us back to airport on 26th. So total hunting days is 5 days. The daily hunting rates were included with the auction rates at 2 hunters to 1 PH.

The costs they are telling me im personally responsible for is: trophy fees or anything I shoot or wound (standard), airport to and from shuttle, conservation fee, dip and pack through their organization (actually its a different company they use). They do have a minimum of 2 animals hunted or charged a $260 non-hunter daily rate. So if you shoot 2 or more, your daily rate is covered by auction...if you only shoot one you are charged non-hunter daily rate which isn't included in auction. TIPS are not included either and I am aware these will be extra charge for me to come up with.

So just the airport shuttle, conservation fee, and rifle rental is $452.58 then have to add cost of the trophy animals taken and their dip and pack as well as buying the ammo from outfitter at $5.52 a shot.

So by that logic, total cost to hunt an impala and Springbok would be $2049.02 with 2 rounds of ammo. Impala and Blesbuck is $2104.02....

As you can see, this adds up and not what I expected before booking or agreeing to this.
Kinda hard to follow his thread and the exact costs. If you buy a donated Safari you may or may not be happy with the results. Going to Africa for only 2 animals is kinda crazy.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!