Newbie goes to Africa

Jim K

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hello

I am starting this thread to post about a upcoming trip to Namibia with Kowas hunting safaris. Feel free to post tips on planning and follow along as I plan a trip for the first time to the dark continent.

My son who is 10 will be going with and is hoping to shoot a few animals as well.

Hunting dates to be middle of August 2020.

A little bit about me. I have some hunting experiences here in PA where I live and one trip to Canada for black bear. I am 42 years old. Thanks to this site the Africa bug has bit me hard.

I will post as I have updates as we plan and gather equipment for the trip

Jim

Welcome aboard, look forward to following along.

Sons rifle arrived last week

He is left handed so he received a left handed cooper model 54 in 257 Roberts for the trip. Here also is picture of him helping at the reloading bench. Priming brass for his gun

1D69901B-F370-4D88-AD42-DBC0BBAF54A2.jpeg
53BCF7DC-9F11-430E-A7FE-4B9A52C88CF8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh

And thanks again to this site. The 404 Jeffery bug

Was able to grab a Winchester model 70 custom this summer of another site. For less then the price of the Gunsmithing

Yes I have shot it.

No I am not selling

Yes I am planning a second trip to Africa for buff

C8DB465A-9B42-4046-BDA9-4D39F76C285B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH Jim. I am envious of you and your son as there is nothing like a FIRST safari.
I see you are already addicted as you’ve aired your buffalo rifle for safari #2.

Hello

I am starting this thread to post about a upcoming trip to Namibia with Kowas hunting safaris. Feel free to post tips on planning and follow along as I plan a trip for the first time to the dark continent.

My son who is 10 will be going with and is hoping to shoot a few animals as well.

A little bit about me. I have some hunting experiences here in PA where I live and one trip to Canada for black bear. I am 42 years old. Thanks to this site the Africa bug has bit me hard.

Jim
Hello

Jim
You’ve picked a great place to take your son and have your first Safari. I just took my 13yo son to Namibia this year. It’s a wonderful place. Happy planning.
Philip

My suggestions:
Start by checking out everything under “Safari Guide” at the top of AH pages.
Practice off sticks (start with a .22 and progress up, but always go back to the .22).
Get a copy of “The Perfect Shot” by Dr Robertson as well as the pocket edition.
Use Travel Express (AH sponsor) to book your flights and any over night stays you may have to do.
If you go through Joberg and have to overnight, you will need to fill out all the SAPS paperwork. RiflePermits (AH sponsor) can simplify this.
Determine your primary game species, but be prepared to take what Africa offers.
Take tons of pictures of everything! You can always delete them later, but you if you don’t take them, you’ll likely regret the ones you missed taking.

Additional budgeting:
Decide ahead of time if you’re going to dip & ship, or have someone in Namibia do your taxidermy. Find who you want to do the taxidermy ahead of your trip. Also decide on a shipper as well as importer (check out another AH sponsor Trophy Shippers).

Just my $.02 worth. You two are going to have an awesome adventure! Enjoy ever minute!

Would suggest that you read as many hunt reports from Namibia as possible here in the site. You will pick up a lot of tid bits that way.

Welcome to AH, and good luck with your hunt !

Welcome!
I took my 12 year old son in July 2018. We are going back this June. Watching your son hunt might be even more enjoyable than when you yourself are hunting.
Get him lots of practice off the sticks.
Make sure you both have good binoculars.
He will end up taking your prized pieces of gear, so buy two.
Make sure to have gaiters for both of you.
Somehow all his flat skins will end up in his room, so don’t plan too much with what he shoots.

you will have a great time!

Welcome to our fraternity! I started my quest in 2013 when I took my son as a college graduation trip. I did not fore see what an addiction it would become. I will be going in June for my fourth safari and my third buffalo. Oh, and I have been bitten by the 404 Jeffery bug, too. I fear that some of my posts may have contributed to your "illness":sneaky:. Feel free to pass the bug on to someone else.

Welcome aboard Jim K. Since joining AH I've procured two 404 Jeffery rifles. What are you using for a load? If you are interested in a sub MOA three shot group with Swift A Frames let me know. You and your son are going to have a blast. Some might say the most fun you can have with your britches hiked up. I see that Ridgewalker gave you some good advice regarding the use of "sticks." Heed it.

I am already sure that you and your son will have a fantastic time!

The Strauss family runs a great outfit.

August is a windy month there. Be prepared for that.

Shoot from the sticks often. Walk a good bit every day until you depart!

It is really dry over there, like around 11% humidity. One thing that I wish that had taken was some sort of nasal lubricating spray. Picking out those dry, red dust boogers wasn't pleasant.
Also, on a general level, hydrate. Seriously, drink more water than you think you can (the tap water is fine by the way).

Mattheus will likely be hunting with you and your son. A man of few words, but one heck of a hunter.

Best of luck on your trip!

Welcome and sorry you were infected. Its great you can take your son but i dont know how you can wait so long. Maybe slip in the Buff trip just to go ahead and scout the territory.
I booked 9 months out, ive spent countless hours here. And i fly out in 16 days. Thats a long time since ive been waiting for this my whole life.

Welcome to AH, Jim!

Thank for all the helpful tips so far. Keep them coming. I plan to have my son run 500 rounds through his rifle this coming summer before we leave

Kowas told us they use the Africa sporting creations sticks so we will get a set to practice with.

As to why we booked so far ahead. I have school schedules to work around and Kowas was fully booked for 2019 and some of 2020 when we booked in late summer of 2018. Seems they run a first class operation and have lots of return clients.

As far as the 404 goes it is staying at home for the first trip. I am playing with it Occasionally and it is fun to shoot. I will get serious about loads with it after my son is comfortable with his gun.

My custom 700 in 338-06 is the rifle I will take with for myself for this first trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg