Newbie goes to Africa

Hi Jim,
Congrats on booking your first safari and on making a wise choice in going with Kowas. The Strauss family are fantastic hosts, the country is beautiful and the hunting fantastic. I too went there for my first safari in 2016. On an 8 day hunt I took Kudu, Oryx, Warthog, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Steenbok and two Springbok. My mate took a similar number also, all fantastic mature trophies. I hunted with Jacques mostly but with Matheus as well, and both are tremendous hunters.

It was a very memorable hunt for my wife and I, and I look forward to returning one day, when our Aussie dollar is again a little stronger against the greenback!

My advice - Practice shooting over the sticks a lot, out to 250y. I used a .30/06-180gn Woodleigh combination which proved perfect, I only used 9 shots. Take lots of photos of all aspects of the hunt. Have a day spare on the end to visit Joe's Beerhouse, the craft markets, and to look around Windhoek centre. It's a beautiful place.

Avoid Trophaendienste Taxidermy like the plague. They destroyed all of our capes with their non-existent quality control, which is the only lingering sour taste of this whole experience. From later experience, I'd highly recommend Ingwe Taxidermy.

Take the time to soak up as much as you can as it will be over all too quickly and you'll be planning the return!

All the best
Tim
Blacks
Joe's beer house is a top place mate we finished our safari there as well. The food is brilliant and well priced
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you