Newbie from Oz

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen what’s not to like about the .223, how many do you think would be in Australia (Bolt actions not AR’s for our American friends)
What chambering might be used most daily across Australia? .308 is popular but daily use I’m guessing it’s not top of the list.

@bruce moulds is an advocate of the 7mm/.284 offerings so we can overlook his preference to the 9.3 vs .375 but if we needed one rifle for Africa, Mmm

Those old fellas were around when there was money in skins, that’s gone by the way and the only .17’s that we see new are the .17 rimfires.

Teflon shoulders yes or I would not sleep with a .243 in the safe. Bobs getting his shoulder rebuilt, I suppose he will tell one and all it’s cause I lump shit on him.

When he can’t type with 2 fingers through recovery he will just hit speed dial and call to bag the .243, oh well I hope the op goes well.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa

Badboymelvin

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
@Badboymelvin reckons a .458wm is the go, I hear Sambar are elusive so I guess he likes to secure them right there right then.

Yep!!!

I love the .458WM... it puts things on their bum :Happy:
I'm always banging on about it but that because I've never had a problem with it...

BUT!

I also love the .338WM, .300 Weatherby and the .303 British (but I don't like the .458 LOTT...)
Oh, and the 270WSM is a ripper too!

Welcome to Africa Hunting!

Cheers,

Russ

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen what’s not to like about the .223, how many do you think would be in Australia (Bolt actions not AR’s for our American friends)
What chambering might be used most daily across Australia? .308 is popular but daily use I’m guessing it’s not top of the list.

@bruce moulds is an advocate of the 7mm/.284 offerings so we can overlook his preference to the 9.3 vs .375 but if we needed one rifle for Africa, Mmm

Those old fellas were around when there was money in skins, that’s gone by the way and the only .17’s that we see new are the .17 rimfires.

Teflon shoulders yes or I would not sleep with a .243 in the safe. Bobs getting his shoulder rebuilt, I suppose he will tell one and all it’s cause I lump shit on him.

When he can’t type with 2 fingers through recovery he will just hit speed dial and call to bag the .243, oh well I hope the op goes well.
@CBH
Thanks mate.
Like yourself I have Teflon shoulders.
Yes the 223 us extremely popular and a reasonable round unlike the 243 common but useless but I just don't need it to fill any gaps.
Yes fox skins did bring good pricesback in the late 70s early 80s.
I got 6 one night and only fires one shot and no skin damage.
Surprising wheat a gutted rabbit and rabbit gut pieces laced with potassium cyanide will do.
Used to skin them with an air hose as well. Ah for the good old days life was so much simpler.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@Badboymelvin reckons a .458wm is the go, I hear Sambar are elusive so I guess he likes to secure them right there right then.
@CBH
Chris sambar in Victoria last time I hunted there were every Where to the point it was legal to hunt them under light on private property.
The last one I shot was with a 270 loaded with 130 grain ACPs. Bang flop. That 270 is now my 35 Whelen.
Bo

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Yep!!!

I love the .458WM... it puts things on their bum :Happy:
I'm always banging on about it but that because I've never had a problem with it...

BUT!

I also love the .338WM, .300 Weatherby and the .303 British (but I don't like the .458 LOTT...)
Oh, and the 270WSM is a ripper too!

Welcome to Africa Hunting!

Cheers,

Russ
@sambarhunter
Russ
Since they took our semi auto weapons away from us If'n I can't put more holes in them well stuff it I'll put BIGGER HOLES in them. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
Welcome to AH @JohnCZ ! Glad you have found us and joined our community.

African Sporting Creations

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
africansportingcreations.com
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH, @JohnCZ! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemonaLard

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh