Newbie from Oz

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen what’s not to like about the .223, how many do you think would be in Australia (Bolt actions not AR’s for our American friends)
What chambering might be used most daily across Australia? .308 is popular but daily use I’m guessing it’s not top of the list.

@bruce moulds is an advocate of the 7mm/.284 offerings so we can overlook his preference to the 9.3 vs .375 but if we needed one rifle for Africa, Mmm

Those old fellas were around when there was money in skins, that’s gone by the way and the only .17’s that we see new are the .17 rimfires.

Teflon shoulders yes or I would not sleep with a .243 in the safe. Bobs getting his shoulder rebuilt, I suppose he will tell one and all it’s cause I lump shit on him.

When he can’t type with 2 fingers through recovery he will just hit speed dial and call to bag the .243, oh well I hope the op goes well.

@Badboymelvin reckons a .458wm is the go, I hear Sambar are elusive so I guess he likes to secure them right there right then.

Yep!!!

I love the .458WM... it puts things on their bum :Happy:
I'm always banging on about it but that because I've never had a problem with it...

BUT!

I also love the .338WM, .300 Weatherby and the .303 British (but I don't like the .458 LOTT...)
Oh, and the 270WSM is a ripper too!

Welcome to Africa Hunting!

Cheers,

Russ

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen what’s not to like about the .223, how many do you think would be in Australia (Bolt actions not AR’s for our American friends)
What chambering might be used most daily across Australia? .308 is popular but daily use I’m guessing it’s not top of the list.

@bruce moulds is an advocate of the 7mm/.284 offerings so we can overlook his preference to the 9.3 vs .375 but if we needed one rifle for Africa, Mmm

Those old fellas were around when there was money in skins, that’s gone by the way and the only .17’s that we see new are the .17 rimfires.

Teflon shoulders yes or I would not sleep with a .243 in the safe. Bobs getting his shoulder rebuilt, I suppose he will tell one and all it’s cause I lump shit on him.

When he can’t type with 2 fingers through recovery he will just hit speed dial and call to bag the .243, oh well I hope the op goes well.
@CBH
Thanks mate.
Like yourself I have Teflon shoulders.
Yes the 223 us extremely popular and a reasonable round unlike the 243 common but useless but I just don't need it to fill any gaps.
Yes fox skins did bring good pricesback in the late 70s early 80s.
I got 6 one night and only fires one shot and no skin damage.
Surprising wheat a gutted rabbit and rabbit gut pieces laced with potassium cyanide will do.
Used to skin them with an air hose as well. Ah for the good old days life was so much simpler.
Bob

@Badboymelvin reckons a .458wm is the go, I hear Sambar are elusive so I guess he likes to secure them right there right then.
@CBH
Chris sambar in Victoria last time I hunted there were every Where to the point it was legal to hunt them under light on private property.
The last one I shot was with a 270 loaded with 130 grain ACPs. Bang flop. That 270 is now my 35 Whelen.
Bo

Yep!!!

I love the .458WM... it puts things on their bum :Happy:
I'm always banging on about it but that because I've never had a problem with it...

BUT!

I also love the .338WM, .300 Weatherby and the .303 British (but I don't like the .458 LOTT...)
Oh, and the 270WSM is a ripper too!

Welcome to Africa Hunting!

Cheers,

Russ
@sambarhunter
Russ
Since they took our semi auto weapons away from us If'n I can't put more holes in them well stuff it I'll put BIGGER HOLES in them. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Welcome to AH @JohnCZ ! Glad you have found us and joined our community.

Welcome to AH, @JohnCZ! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross