New Zealand to Ban Certain Rifles

Von Gruff and all other AH members residing in New Zealand. Can't your COLFO request a "stay" of the current changes to your Firearms Law and reclassification? At least till a fair and impartial hearing has been conducted. If not done immediately I fear you will loose the right to have what we call a Modern Sporting Rifle. I'd be happy to donate $100.00 to help fund such an effort.
We have a govt that is left leaning (our democraps) so there will be no fairness about anything they do but I believe that COLFO has the best understanding of what can be done and will be determined on doing all that is legally possible to put the interests of law abiding gun owners to the crown. There will be no public pressure to "do the right thing" as has been the case in the past when gun laws have been in the limelight with COLFO having a very positive effect in keeping them in the sensible range so have a good knowedge of the laws that stand and what they are able to do within that law.

Can you please elaborate on this for us a bit? I am not exactly sure what you are trying to convey.

No conclusion to draw, but there are those who seem to think the true basis for gun ownership is possible armed resistance. I am simply pointing out the possible consequences. We live in an imperfect world, but full engagement by educated citizens may well make it better. Fist shaking and rock throwing won't get it done.

Shootist43, I am not sure that I agree with you. I am really not clear on what the definition of an assault rifle is. However, if it is intended to denote a weapon used by infantry in war then a Mauser 98 is an assault rifle, a Brown Bess is an assault rifle, as are the more modern semi-automatic and select fire weapons. Our founding fathers, in crafting the second amendment, were certainly referencing the military weapons of their day, hence assault rifles, if the above definition is correct.

I suspect that the term 'assault rifle' is a fabrication of the media driven by a misunderstanding of what AR stands for.

Good points, certainly. But you need to realize that there are code words employed in social campaigns "Assault Rifle" is one and it seems to mean 'any scary looking gun'. It is meant to create fear in the public mind. It's not a semi-automatic or self loading weapon, it's an ASSAULT RIFLE! The general public has no basis for distinguishing between long guns, or between handguns, etc. As we used to say in advertising, "First give them a headache, then sell them the aspirin." It is easier to rule people when they are frightened.

Two other code names: "Backyard Breeder" and "Puppy Mill" - what doesn't fit in one box and be neatly placed in the other. Now they have created a problem (the headache) and the answer is... whatever the PETA/HSUS agenda calls for.

The media largely buys into this kind of manipulation because they went to journalism school and learned how they are supposed to think and to a large degree, WHAT they should think. It's indicative of the death of critical thinking. End of rant.

Not to hijack this thread, but just as a FYI fellas, the cockroaches are really coming out of the woodwork and jumping on the band wagon now!! Put this in a search engine:

onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/petition-trophy-hunter-killed-sleeping-lion-and-over-70-animals-including-elephants-rhino-and-more/

Does anyone know what will happen with all these stolen/confiscated guns? The misfortune of our friends might be a good opportunity for those of us who can purchase semis to find some nice guns at decent prices. Australia won't buy them as semi-autos are considered pure evil by the authorities but for those of us living in Europe or USA this might be interesting. Not sure about other jurisdictions but in Poland semis are treated same as any other action type. Unless the Kiwi government in its infinite wisdom is going to burn them at the stake?

Does anyone know what will happen with all these stolen/confiscated guns? The misfortune of our friends might be a good opportunity for those of us who can purchase semis to find some nice guns at decent prices. Australia won't buy them as semi-autos are considered pure evil by the authorities but for those of us living in Europe or USA this might be interesting. Not sure about other jurisdictions but in Poland semis are treated same as any other action type. Unless the Kiwi government in its infinite wisdom is going to burn them at the stake?

i would guess they will destroy them....wont want to be seen handing these inanimate pieces of metal, wood and plastic to somewhere else .....

So far all that has been decided is they will be stored in secure facilities by military with decision on there fate to come later, or so the draconian overlords would have us believe.

Storage at a Military facility could be an acceptable near term option. That would allow time for cooler heads to prevail, during which, your coalition of firearms owners can prepare their argument allowing them to be returned to previously licensed owners. Not the best option but better than outright destruction. It has been a while but prior to WWII the Brits were begging U.S. civilian gun owners to send them anything they could spare to help defend against invasion. History seems to have a way of repeating itself.

Gizmo posted earlier in this thread that Christians being killed by the dozens in Africa and the Middle East by Muslims are largely ignored in mainstream media. This is very true. Like a white farmer killed in RSA or a "minority" committing a crime, there is no coverage. The tradgedy in NZ was terrible.............but ALL lives matter. Saying those last 3 words can make you an object of ridicule and hate by ABC, and CNN.........but it is true.....ALL lives matter. I will honor the new weapons ban, I'm sure the terrorists will too.....FWB

Storage at a Military facility could be an acceptable near term option. That would allow time for cooler heads to prevail, during which, your coalition of firearms owners can prepare their argument allowing them to be returned to previously licensed owners. .
That will never happen Art. The law has been enacted and signed into being with only one voting against it so it has cross party approval and consequently will never be revoked. Not sure what COLFO can do except try to minimise any further intrusions into our shooting sports although the appetite for draconian confiscations seems almost universal among the political class.

Police Minister Stuart Nash demands answers after gun theft from police station
Police Minister Stuart Nash is demanding an explanation from police after 11 guns were stolen from a police station.

Police said Alan James Harris, 38, allegedly stole the firearms from the Palmerston North Police Station yesterday morning.

The guns were not police firearms but were being held as exhibits or had been handed in for destruction.

The embarrassing blunder occurred as gun owners are surrendering military-style semi-automatics (MSSAs) and assault rifles around the country as part of a Government buyback scheme which followed the Christchurch mosque shootings.

Nash said this afternoon that he had "grave concerns" about the alleged burglary.

When the buyback scheme was announced, he had sought assurances from police they had strong processes for handling the firearms, he said.

Police said at the time they were confident they could manage the collection of the high-powered weapons.

"I have now sought fresh assurances from the Commissioner that all stations and firearms-handling processes are secure and fit for purpose, and that firearms are stored safely, whether they are crime scene exhibits or otherwise," Nash said.

Harris was found by a member of police staff in the yard of the police station at 7.40am.

He fled in a car, which police have since recovered, along with another car owned by him.

Confiscation.png

Von Gruff, I watched the video of the "reporter" and the "Police Spokes Woman." It sounded to me like she attended the same school as her counterparts here in the States. I think the class is entitled "How to Speak Professionally With Egg on Your Face."

Yes obfuscation is the elites way of not answering a straight question with a straight answer

With Gun Ban Not Working, Politicians in Britain Now Want to Ban Knives Nationwide

If ever we needed proof of the expression that “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” look no further than Britain, where families may have to start practicing cutting their steak and bread at dinner with a spoon. This is, of course, because Britain’s politicians have now made the absurdly ridiculous move to call for the banning of what Reason magazine called “the most useful tool ever invented” — the knife.

Reason reported this morning that British politicians have “declared war on knives” and are moving swiftly to try and ban them, since gun laws aren’t working to help stop crime altogether:

[Comment: What’s next? Pointed sticks? Banning bananas as a weapon? (Reference to Monty Python episode where soldiers are trained to attack with a banana)]

As I have said in other threads, gun control has had a history of racism, targeting minorities and leaving them powerless. Even today, gun control has a disparate impact on the poor and on minority communities. All I see this weapons ban doing is leaving the most vulnerable people in these countries absolutely powerless, at the mercy of those who wish to see them harmed. If you are a liberal who truly cares for the oppressed, then you must support unrestricted access to firearms.

Sorry I am not a racist! I just think we don’t need the A?’s out there. They are just making those people that want to hunt with a rifle wore about loosing our chance to do that!

Why do you, or anyone else, get to decide what other people "need"? I agree that hunting anything (large) other than feral hogs with a 5.56x45 is not a very good idea. I own one AR-15, and am in the market for another. Unless something really bad happens, I don't ever anticipate using them anywhere except at the range.

It isn't the Bill of Needs, it's the Bill of Rights.

That didn't take long did it? Be interesting to see the compliance rate and opinions from our Kiwi members. Some have volunteered to give them up already.
On the TV news tonight they said there has been 2000 firearms handed in since the ban .
They seem quite happy ?
I coundnt stop laughing , only 100 000 Plus to go , i can see this becomeing a total buracratic fuc up .
OH DEAR !!!!!
LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelbyFogg

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross