93marlin

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, Harbor Springs OD club, OGCA
Hunted
United States & Canada
I'm not sure exactly what I've gotten myself into with this one. It was on GB and I couldn't pass it up. I've not seen a 6.5x54MS on a '98 action before.

24270.jpeg
24265.jpeg
24274.jpeg
24271.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's a military action, given the thumb slot, but other than that, I'm trying to get more information about Germania Waffenwerk, the name on barrel.

If you need brass we have new norma for as low as 50 cents each (in bulk) in this caliber. Enjoy the new (to you) rifle.

If you need brass we have new norma for as low as 50 cents each (in bulk) in this caliber. Enjoy the new (to you) rifle.
Thanks! I'm good on brass....for now.
Need to source some dies and bullets.

According to one thread I found on an old guns forum, Germania Waffenwerk was formerly the name Anchutz gave to his company. According to that source, the company name was registered to Anchutz and his wife which is interesting for nineteenth century business. It has long been alleged that women in Canada for example could not own property before early 20th century. It's a feminist myth I have dispelled many times. Anyway Herr Anchutz clearly intended for his wife to run the business if something happened to him. Presumably he was involving her in the business while he was alive so she would be able to make a go of it if needed.

According to one thread I found on an old guns forum, Germania Waffenwerk was formerly the name Anchutz gave to his company. According to that source, the company name was registered to Anchutz and his wife which is interesting for nineteenth century business. It has long been alleged that women in Canada for example could not own property before early 20th century. It's a feminist myth I have dispelled many times. Anyway Herr Anchutz clearly intended for his wife to run the business if something happened to him. Presumably he was involving her in the business while he was alive so she would be able to make a go of it if needed.
That's about what I've been able to find out also. I'm not sure if I'll be able to track down a manufacture date for this particular rifle.
Most likely I won't actually receive the rifle until after the first of the year with the mail is so slow right now. When I do receive it I'm going look for any proof marks to help with dating it.

This will give you more than you ever wanted to know about the various members of the Anschutz family involvement in German gunmaking, but very little with respect to Germania.

The little I know is that Germania Waffenwerk did not survive the war, and the modern Anschutz business was created in 1950. The Germania Waffenwerk name can be found on handguns (usually target guns), rifles and SxS shotguns. They also supplied .22 training rifles to the Wehrmacht. Some firearms were produced in house, but many were acquired from individual gunmakers in the trade.

Without seeing the proof marks, I would suspect this rifle dates from just before or just after WWI. Much later and it would almost certainly would have been built in 6.5x57 which was a much better solution for a Mauser action and gained popularity between the wars.

Their production and sales must have been pretty extensive, because they pop up at gun shows in the US fairly regularly. I have seen examples of each of the above. No doubt most were "liberated" by GIs during the war.

Sadly, because of the extensive bombing and post war looting of Suhl and Zella-Mehlis, we know very little about many of the pre-war gunmakers.

Attachments

• Anschütz family- Suhl & Zella Mehlis – German Hunting Guns.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
This will give you more than you ever wanted to know about the various members of the Anschutz family involvement in German gunmaking, but very little with respect to Germania.

The little I know is that Germania Waffenwerk did not survive the war, and the modern Anschutz business was created in 1950. The Germania Waffenwerk name can be found on handguns (usually target guns), rifles and SxS shotguns. They also supplied .22 training rifles to the Wehrmacht. Some firearms were produced in house, but many were acquired from individual gunmakers in the trade.

Without seeing the proof marks, I would suspect this rifle dates from just before or just after WWI. Much later and it would almost certainly would have been built in 6.5x57 which was a much better solution for a Mauser action and gained popularity between the wars.

Their production and sales must have been pretty extensive, because they pop up at gun shows in the US fairly regularly. I have seen examples of each of the above. No doubt most were "liberated" by GIs during the war.

Sadly, because of the extensive bombing and post war looting of Suhl and Zella-Mehlis, we know very little about many of the pre-war gunmakers.
THANK YOU @Red Leg for that information!
This is some of the info that I was looking for. With the Zella-Mehlis bombings, I didn't know if much of anything survived as far as records are concerned.

I just received the tracking number for the rifle a few minutes ago. It'll be here on the 26th. Once I get it and look it over, I'll probably post more photos of the more interesting things about the rifle including the bolt peep.

I'll be picking up the rifle on Tuesday. I'll know a little more about the proof marks after that

Be sure and check the headspace and take a chamber cast, it could easily be a 6.5x54 Mauser as opposed to a 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schonauer, a confusing issue that few are aware of, two different calibers with the same number .I know of no other such cluster and its ruined a gun or so Im told..I have a 1903 Manlicher Shonauer I have that info from Reloader ,magazine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you