Federal Power Shok 270 gr .375.. Reviews Please

In my place, this is the cheapest ammo in 375 HH. Thanks.

Myself and a friend used our 375s a couple of years ago in Namibia. Game taken were, oryx, blue Wildebeest, giraffe and warthog. The Federal 270s worked fine.

Hi All, I appreciate this thread is a little bit old.
But to provide an answer to Mark- hunter, not been able to source Federal Power Shocks here but we have reloaded Federal Brass with Speer 270g BTSP. We used them on a selection of PG on our last trip to Eastern Cape, they worked well. I think the Speer 270g BTSP, just doesn't get appreciated now??? The Federal brass reloads fine , no issues as yet!!! Would not hesitate to recommend.

Two questions:
1. Has anybody tested Federal power shok, 375 HH in Africa, 270 or 300 grains? Which Animals? Eland, Buffalo, Giraffe, Zebra?
2. Is federal casing any good for reloading?
Been shooting my 375 CZ 550 now a month and used 3 boxes Federals PS's 300g and here's my findings.
1- Very accurate on the shooting range, groupings spot on from day one....
2- recoil nothing serious....
3- Black Wilde bees @ 250m broadside; cup and bullet seperated; recovered weight 182g, not impressed
4- Zebra @ 120m, recovered weight 202g, cup and bullet seperated; fine
5- Black Wilde Bees @ 200/250m, perfect mushroom 229g. Very nice
6- Giraffe @ 50m required 4 shots, bull carcass weighed 568,3kg. Recovered 2 bullets. Absolutely shockingly poor performance by bullets. Cups recovered, both bullets basically disintegrated. 80g and 68g recovered..............
7- Blue wilde Bees @ 150m into the chest, went down on the spot, recovered weight 168g.

I'm not an expert, but compared to the Swift/Barnes/Hornady used on my 416 I'm not buying the Power Shoks again...........

Been shooting my 375 CZ 550 now a month and used 3 boxes Federals PS's 300g and here's my findings.
1- Very accurate on the shooting range, groupings spot on from day one....
2- recoil nothing serious....
3- Black Wilde bees @ 250m broadside; cup and bullet seperated; recovered weight 182g, not impressed
4- Zebra @ 120m, recovered weight 202g, cup and bullet seperated; fine
5- Black Wilde Bees @ 200/250m, perfect mushroom 229g. Very nice
6- Giraffe @ 50m required 4 shots, bull carcass weighed 568,3kg. Recovered 2 bullets. Absolutely shockingly poor performance by bullets. Cups recovered, both bullets basically disintegrated. 80g and 68g recovered..............
7- Blue wilde Bees @ 150m into the chest, went down on the spot, recovered weight 168g.

I'm not an expert, but compared to the Swift/Barnes/Hornady used on my 416 I'm not buying the Power Shoks again...........
you can not compare them to a swift bonded bullet .

Have used Federal Power Shok 375H&H 300 grain SP on several hunts over last few years. Have managed to take every animal cleanly with it.....Bison, Cape Buffalo and Plains game included. Recovered bullets from African game were all fully mushroomed with decent weight retention. I didn't weigh them but no complaints from me.....it's affordable (so far), available, accurate and reliable. I used it because it was only brand available locally in country when I hunted South Africa and Mozambique in 2018. I knew that in advance so was able to practice with it. FYI, Cape Buffalo was angling away and picking up speed when I pulled the trigger (125-150 yards). Bullet entered just behind ribs on right side and was recovered lodged in off (left front) shoulder). Animal traveled about 50 yards before collapsing. No insurance shot needed. Before the critics get started, I was hesitant about taking that shot buy my PH disagreed....glad I listened to him. No issues with using it on Plains Game either. Bison (taken last year in U.S.) was also moving.... crossing in front of me right to left full out.....pulled the trigger at about 60 yards. Hit him in left front shoulder....knocked him completely off his feet and he never got up. Never recovered the bullet so don't know if we just missed it or it fragmented into pieces. I didn't care either way.....it did it's job....both shoulders were broken. Probably better ammo out there for .375 but I have solid confidence in Federal Pwr Shok SP .

Guys,
I can get a few (6) boxes of 270 gr in .375 at a good price. Problem is I don't know them at all.
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc.
Recently shot a big water buffalo in Argentina with the 270 grain ones. Results were not good. I shot it 9 times. Last shot in the head at 75 yards. Last shot worked nicely . No bullet penetrated more than around 12 inches. Would not break shoulder at 125 yards. I should have tried to get closer for first shot , guide wanted me to shoot at 175 yards. Made 5 good hits plus head shot. Chased it for several hours after first 2 hits. Was not pretty

IMG-20240410-WA0002~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently shot a big water buffalo in Argentina with the 270 grain ones. Results were not good. I shot it 9 times. Last shot in the head at 75 yards. Last shot worked nicely . No bullet penetrated more than around 12 inches. Would not break shoulder at 125 yards. I should have tried to get closer for first shot , guide wanted me to shoot at 175 yards. Made 5 good hits plus head shot. Chased it for several hours after first 2 hits. Was not pretty
Did you recovered any bullets? Any pictures for the bullets good Sir?

I used the 300Gr Federal Power Shok factory loads on two lions. My son-in-law also used it for one lion.

Perfect for double lung shots where the point of aim is the soft region behind the shoulder.

You WILL encounter jacket-core separation if this bullet strikes the scapula/humerus/shoulder bone of a large male Tanzanian lion.

Same with a head shot or a frontal chest shot, but in both cases the lion still succumbed to the gunshot wound very quickly.

Last edited:
Do you have pictures of your initial entry points? I can see one high neck shot in the picture that looks like it just zipped through and was superficial. The 270g Power-Shok wouldn't be my first choice for shoulder shots or a head-on stopping shot in a charge. As mentioned, its a traditional soft-point cup & core style bullet. For a soft tissue, behind the shoulder, or slight quartering away shot on a buffalo it should do the job. They're loaded more for the guys shooting moose, elk, bear and other thinner skinned game. I personally have several boxes of these and use them when getting a gun on paper. Hunting wise, its always a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-Frame, or Woodleigh Solid.

Did you recovered any bullets? Any pictures for the bullets good Sir?
Found bullet fragment where it hit front shoulder. The bullet in the head was in pieces . Shot back of head did not exit was in pieces. Temp was hot we were in a hurry getting meat did not find a whole bullet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BelenGreen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross